"No 1080p For PS3 Games"

Just wondering but how do you know its upscaling anymore than others think its native?
Is there a dev quote somewhere saying upscaling?

and btw, untold legends is 1080i not 1080p.
I also have a hunch a certain 1st party sports game will be 1080p @ 60fps, but don't quote me on that as nothing is guaranteed these days.

Are you talking about 989 or are you talkin about Hot Shots? Hot Shots wouldn't surprise me. Some of the other games like Heavenly Sword and MSG4 would.

Are you talking about 989 or are you talkin about Hot Shots? Hot Shots wouldn't surprise me.
Possibly both. ;)

Funny you bring up MGS4 though, it's rumored Sony is pushing that game for 1080p if that fan interview a while ago was anything to go by. Wish we had some more official confirmation. 'Grain of salt' rules until we get some I suppose. :(

I'm not sure heavenly sword is the end all to all games doing 1080p. It all depends on how hard the game is pushing the hardware.

No but obviously the first party developers are 'under orders' to say that they are supporting 1080p, so we have to be critical when we hear that a game is rendering at that resolution, unless stated explicitly as native.

MGS4 is a possibility. If this game is anything like MGS 2 it probably doesn't push the system more than other games being made but look better than most of them because of brilliant design and great direction. From what I've seen so far they are using any mind blowing tech that hasn't been used before but the way they present this tech is masterful and makes it look better than some of the most graphically intensive games ever released.

MGS4 is a possiblity. If this game is anything like MGS 2 it probably doesn't push the system more than other games being made but look better than most of them because of briliant design and great direction. From what I've seen so far they are using any mind blowing tech that hasn't been used before but the way they present this tech is masterful and makes it look better than some of the most graphically intesive games ever released.

But what incentive is there for developers to target 1080p? To support the 1% of people that have one? Makes no sense to waste resources supporting a resolution that can't even be appreciated by the vast majority of the market. These are the same reasons the HS team stated for why they chose 720p.

No but obviously the first party developers are 'under orders' to say that they are supporting 1080p, so we have to be critical when we hear that a game is rendering at that resolution, unless stated explicitly as native.
I'm not really sure they are 'under orders' to say they are supporting 1080p, untold legends being 1080i on the official website would contridict that. On the other hand, I would believe Sony is trying persuade 1st/2nd party developers into getting their games for 1080p. And if it's not possible without massive downgrades, I assume the game will still end up being the intended resolution like Heavenly Sword and upscaling would be an option for the ones who don't support it natively.

Also, I thought wardevil was always a 1080p marketed title?

btw, Dr. Nick, ygpm.

Yeah, don't forget that 1920*1080 is more than twice as many pixels as 1280*720. Fill rate, pixel shading and texture sampling demands would probably increase by 100%, and even if they're not neccessarily the only bottleneck, achievable frame rate should still drop considerably. Scaling back world detail vs. screen resolution just does not worth it IMHO.

Er, by the way, could some developer describe the technical and resource differences between 1080i and 1080p?

AFAIK one could only render every other scanline in 1080i and run at an effective resolution of 1920*540, but at 60 fps? Or render full 1080 scanlines, and output the same image for every pair of frames? Or how exactly is it done? :)

no 1080p for games seems sensible, not only it's rare and expensive on TVs, but remember : 1080p is 30Hz. it would actually suck next to 60Hz 1080i and 720p.

This thread's large on the FUD and small on the facts.

I didn't put the lone star there, but it would seem to be well-deserved.

Because 1080p is unrealistic for the G71 that's in the PS3, so unless stated otherwise, I'm assuming they're upscaling.

Well isn't 1080p similar to 1600x1200 on the PC? I have a 7900GTX and i run BF2 on 1600x1200 with a very good fps.

Well isn't 1080p similar to 1600x1200 on the PC? I have a 7900GTX and i run BF2 on 1600x1200 with a very good fps.

Your point though? 1600x1200 really is not uncommon, especially in a fugly game such as BF2.

Really, I MUCH rather have more world detail, making things more real art wise then have the fact that the game runs 1080P. I find it funny, probably 95% of those crying for 1080P do not even have a TV that supports it.

I don't care the slightest for 1080P, I wouldn't care one way or the other even if I had a TV that supported it; however even my PC monitor doesn't go that high.

What irritates me though is all the me-toos in this thread saying 1080P is impossible because - seemingly - their minds just can't comprehend it happening. That's just dumb.

It's NOT too much to ask that people be rational while posting, but it just isn't happening in this thread.

I don't care the slightest for 1080P, I wouldn't care one way or the other even if I had a TV that supported it; however even my PC monitor doesn't go that high.

I like the capability. 1080p is where the HD train seems to be going anyway. The end of the line. If PS1 and 2 are anything to go by, PS3 will still be charging full steam ahead by then. 1080p tvs might still be in the minority of the market, but they will be out there in numbers. For those users, PS3 will be the only game in town.

Oh and I think many might be missing the point. 720p is probably the sweetspot for games, but web browsing, messaging, photoviewing, moviewhatching and all other os functions will benefit greatly from 1080p. Remember games are only part of the thing's functionality.

What irritates me though is all the me-toos in this thread saying 1080P is impossible because - seemingly - their minds just can't comprehend it happening. That's just dumb.

It's NOT too much to ask that people be rational while posting, but it just isn't happening in this thread.
Eh, it's the same way many of us couldn't wrap our minds around dual HDMI out ports and the usefulness of such a thing.

Back