"No 1080p For PS3 Games"

What's this, what about Resistance: Fall Of Man for example?
From ign interview:
Al Hastings, Chief Technology Officer: Our intention is to support all HD modes including 1080p.
Another "news" flash and a website riding on the wave of recent negative Sony news in hope of getting it's piece of hits?

Whoa, how on earth can he derive that PS3 games may never run at 1080p from some dev source telling kikizo something? :oops:

From ign interview:

Another "news" flash and a website riding on the wave of recent negative Sony news in hope of getting it's piece of hits?

But does it run natively in 1080p? It could be like the Xbox 360. Games support up to 1080i but they don't run natively in 1080i.

But does it run natively in 1080p? It could be like the Xbox 360. Games support up to 1080i but they don't run natively in 1080i.

From all the interviews it seems pretty obvious they're talking about 1080p native.

I thought Resistance runs 1080p. Though they've not been very clear on the subject, their interviews seem to indicate that at least some, if not all levels run in 1080p

"Some levels"? Like, uh, the main menu, the multiplayer lobby and the credits scroller?

Untold Legends is 1080p
Resistance is 1080p
GT-HD is 1080p
Wardevil is 1080p
Lair is rumoured to be 1080p

So weres the lack of 1080p?

Guys, we have *seen* 1080p games already.

I think they just mistook the whole HDMI/Component - very few TVs support 1080p over component, so they must have thought that therefore it makes no sense to target 1080p.

That, however, will depend on how nicely graphics will scale down from 1080p to 720p, compared to how well they scale upto 1080p from 720p, among others. Games may even support an option to choose which resolution you want to run.

I think we will definitely see 1080p games, but it is of course also fair to say that the majority will be 720p for a good while.

I'm sure I remember the Resistence team stating they were targeting 720p. "supporting" all HD resolutions including 1080p could mean anything.

I'm sure I remember the Resistence team stating they were targeting 720p. "supporting" all HD resolutions including 1080p could mean anything.

No, the Resistance team has repeatedly said they were *aiming* for 1080p. But that doesn't mean they will make it of course.

"Some levels"? Like, uh, the main menu, the multiplayer lobby and the credits scroller?

Well, I found the wording strange as well, but that what the Gamespot hands-on and the IGN interview seemed to imply. They're probably working to get everything to run in 1080p.

From ign interview:

Ya just like Heavenly Sword will 'support' 1080p. They will support it the same way 360 supports 1080i, using it's scalar.

Untold Legends is 1080p
Resistance is 1080p
GT-HD is 1080p
Wardevil is 1080p
Lair is rumoured to be 1080p

So weres the lack of 1080p?

You quoted 4 games, one of which uses PS2 assets. Mark my words, Lair and Resistance will not render in 720p internally. That is, if they output 1080p it will be only upscaling.

None of these are confirmed, save maybe GT-HD, and most if not all are probably just upscaling.
Just wondering but how do you know its upscaling anymore than others think its native?
Is there a dev quote somewhere saying upscaling?

and btw, untold legends is 1080i not 1080p.
I also have a hunch a certain 1st party sports game will be 1080p @ 60fps, but don't quote me on that as nothing is guaranteed these days.

Just wondering but how do you know its upscaling anymore than others think its native?
Is there a dev quote somewhere saying upscaling?

and btw, untold legends is 1080i not 1080p.
I also have a hunch a certain 1st party sports game will be 1080p @ 60fps, but don't quote me on that as nothing is guaranteed these days.

Because 1080p is unrealistic for the G71 that's in the PS3, so unless stated otherwise, I'm assuming they're upscaling.

I think DeanoC's comments were quite telling, he stated the are using 720p originaly, the quickly modified that to say the game will 'support' all resolutions including 1080p.

I have a feeling this will be the official 1st party line full '1080p support', but most games will just be rendered at 720p and upscaled, like Heavenly Sword.

I'm not sure heavenly sword is the end all to all games doing 1080p. It all depends on how hard the game is pushing the hardware.

Back