"No 1080p For PS3 Games"

Wooo, some heated debate going on in this thread :LOL:

I'm in the camp that is perfectly fine with 720p gaming. 720p is not super high end but its enough so that you can play on a 55" screen HDTV and still have very good clarity. Something the PS2 has traumatized me with.

I KNOW I'm gonna cry tears of joy when I get a PS3 and a Soccer game along with it after having played Fifa World Cup on my PS2 on my 55" 1080i HDTV :LOL:

I think 720p should be the main res used for PS3 games and about 2 years before the next gen switch happens again, start to heavily support 1080p natively (if devs are able too). Sort of like how the PS2 handled Progressive Scan near the end of its life (well, end of its life doesn't sound right when its still going strong ;) ).

Might be a silly question, but since most of us don't own 1080p displays, will "true" 1080p output also matter for displaying in 1080i mode on 720p displays? I know it's only interlaced, but due to the "latency" of the eye, i think there will also be more detail "faked", even if it's not the native display resolution, or am i completely wrong here?

I'm not sure resistance should be on that list, since it's 720p at the moment. They also have very little time to work on it if any.

1up said they were playing resistance @ 1080p. But I'll take that down a notch to a rumor until Insomniac confirms, as they could have been upscaling on their bravia.

don't forget to add WarHawk to that list.
also, I think they said MotorStorm was in 1080p, but I am not sure.

I am also please to see most of these 1080p games are running in 60fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't forget to add WarHawk to that list.
also, I think they said MotorStorm was in 1080p, but I am not sure.

I am also please to see most of these 1080p games are running in 60fps.

You have a link or source for those two? I always thought they were 720p.

... And i always thought they were 30fps :LOL: I'm quite sure Motorstorm is locked at 30fps but i could be wrong...

Well I heard they are aiming to get motorstorm to 60fps (they mentioned in an interview its running a lot smoother since the TGS demo), but I always thought the game was 720p.

Chalk up another one.
http://360.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=8614
Graphically, the PlayStation 3 version looked the best of the three and sported some interesting distortion and blur effects that were absent from the Xbox 360 and Wii versions. Powerful attacks on the PS3 caused ripples of invisible energy to distort the area around the attack momentarily. When asked why this was absent from the 360 version, a developer told us that it was due to the PS3’s ability to handle shaders differently than what can be done on the 360 or Wii. Both the 360 and PS3 versions made use of impressive lighting techniques, particle effects, hi-res textures, and impressive character models while the Wii looks to be a mild step up from the current-gen efforts; though that is certainly to be expected at this point. Also, the PlayStation 3 version of the game was shown running in 1080p, which looked absolutely incredible and sharp while the Xbox 360 was running at a respectable 720p and the Wii version running at 480p. All three versions supported 16:9 widescreen modes.

The bannings will begin shortly if the talking smack about each other rather than discussing the thread subject continues.

You have a link or source for those two? I always thought they were 720p.

There is no proof yet, but I think it`s possible that the main reason for the recent delay for Warhawk is that they want to do it in 1080p.
I know games get delayed all the time, but I just have that feeling. It was one of the first announced launch games and was playable pretty early and then came the delay...

Then whats IGN on? :???: Does anyone know for sure what its actual output is?

My bet is upscaling. They say the TV's were 1080p setups, but they never mention the game. But if they get the game running @ 1080p without any downgrades compared to the other version, then color me impressed.

Its funny because joystiq states theres some graphical differences between the 360 and PS3 version, but never says what it is. And gamestop says they both were running at 720p, looking pretty much the same. I'm not sure what to think.

On the other hand, can't say im excited for the game anyways, I'm interested in Resistance so much more for launch.

Might have been 1080i (real 1080i, rendered at 1920x1080 but interlaced, and not the 1080i we get on 360) which in some cases can look much better than 720p on the right screen.. We won't know till more info is released of course.

To be honest, i still don't see why they are all pushing for 1080p. I mean, i do see why, i just don't really agree...

Might have been 1080i (real 1080i, rendered at 1920x1080 but interlaced, and not the 1080i we get on 360) which in some cases can look much better than 720p on the right screen.. We won't know till more info is released of course.

To be honest, i still don't see why they are all pushing for 1080p. I mean, i do see why, i just don't really agree...

Again and I keep saying this over and over. Maybe hitting 1080p isn't hurting the game as much as we thought it would in the past.

Back