Nintendo's quarterly profit, sales plunge

Well since they haven't released any big name software this quater, this is to be expected. Nintendo states they are still on track to increase year over year profits for the whole year. Most of their big name games won't come out until the second half of this year. I found this tidbit interesting:

Shares in Nintendo fell 0.9 percent in the quarter, in line with the Nikkei average , while Sony fell 10.5 percent.

Why did Sony's shares fall so much??

Sony and the electronics sector in japan is hurting again after a breif respite... Next quater should be better, summer looks to be rallying a little

Oh and maybe a new little thing they need to start getting ready for production right about now in huge quantities might not help their finances.

Then in the coming months, they will need to start producing the new little things, making things even worse.

They'll be fine, it's not like they're not gonna make their money back when the new little thing is released.

It's beginning to look like the PSP won't match iPOD sales as hoped. That kind of performance would have bolstered them, but as it stands they're absorbing a lot of costs in the short term, for potential long term profit.

PSPs a work in progress. The infrastructure for a lot of it's revenue earning potential doesn't yet exist. Japan is just now seeing the release of downloadable content (TV programs) and Connect needs to be connected to PSP too for direct to PSP music purchases. Perhaps PSP hasn't taken the world by storm as some hoped, but it's far from a mature platform. I think that's rather typical of Sony to release a system with potential but without the initial needs to meet the potential. Rather than waiting until everything was in place to support PSP in it's entirety they release it earlier and have gradual updates. In a couple of years the platform may well have matured into a strong earner, as it's only obvious rival is mobile phones that certainly have the video capabilities.

At the moment Sony seems to be to be in a transition phase, which means not very profitable, but they're setting up for some long term goals centered around this content delivery idea. Of all the companies fighting for this market Sony seems in the best position to me.

Nintendo is still expecting a rise in profit for their entire fiscal year 2006, though. They have Nintendo DS and LoZ: TP, so no harm done. Nintendo has never lost any money at the end of their fiscal year, on the contrary.

And Sony isn't doing well lately, with the exception of the PlayStation brand, the rest of the company has suffered. They've been taking quite some punches from Panasonic and Samsung concerning electronics such as flatscreens. Completely outclassed, outpriced and outsold.

Finally Microsoft, has never done 'well' with Xbox financially. Up untill now, they've only lost insane amounts of money (what, +$4 billion?), but thanks to their Office/Outlook sales they can pump as much money into Xbox as they need to (although investors now demand a break-even for Xbox 360, and certainly a profit for its successor).

At the moment Sony seems to be to be in a transition phase, which means not very profitable, but they're setting up for some long term goals centered around this content delivery idea. Of all the companies fighting for this market Sony seems in the best position to me.

This statement I agree with totally.

Sony makes excellent stuff IMO. Sometimes they tend to bet the house on expensive, weird and/or risky and/or not fully developed ideas (betamax, or playstation x for example) which end up causing them a lot of headache. Overall tho they have some seriously great products to offer, just take a look at their new tiny, shiny MP3 players with an OLED display and chromed buttons - ultra gorgeous or what!

Their design is just top notch IMO, PS3 has KILLER looks (apart from the fugly controller - WTH?), their mini HiFi systems look great, the LCD TV I just bought - very classy... Not sure why they're not doing better than they are, bad management perhaps?

Guden Oden said:
Sony makes excellent stuff IMO. Sometimes they tend to bet the house on expensive, weird and/or risky and/or not fully developed ideas (betamax, or playstation x for example) which end up causing them a lot of headache. Overall tho they have some seriously great products to offer, just take a look at their new tiny, shiny MP3 players with an OLED display and chromed buttons - ultra gorgeous or what!

Their design is just top notch IMO, PS3 has KILLER looks (apart from the fugly controller - WTH?), their mini HiFi systems look great, the LCD TV I just bought - very classy... Not sure why they're not doing better than they are, bad management perhaps?

Their products are usually priced higher than their competition, and their quality levels are below their competition. Most electronics companies average below a 2% defective rate. Sony is usually double that.

You know, I keep hearing bad quality, etc. I just don't notice it. I've bought exclusively sony stuff all my life and never had a dud product ever. Ok, I've had a couple headphones die on me, but it might as well have been because they got caught in stuff and I yanked on the cord...

Ok, so I'm a small sample, I agree. Still, no bad experiences myself. :)

Guden Oden said:
You know, I keep hearing bad quality, etc. I just don't notice it. I've bought exclusively sony stuff all my life and never had a dud product ever. Ok, I've had a couple headphones die on me, but it might as well have been because they got caught in stuff and I yanked on the cord...

Ok, so I'm a small sample, I agree. Still, no bad experiences myself. :)

You can only tell when you actually compare Sony products to products from companies such as Samsung and Panasonic. Also, the Sony brand has suffered over the last years due to stiff competition and a lack of edge/exclusive innovations.

Problem is, half the stuff samsung makes definitely is total crap. I don't want to tell you how shitty that dvdrom drive I suffered with for years was, and samsung harddrives have long been infamous for dying prematurely for example. They may be cutting edge in some regards, but in others it's just the kind of stuff taiwan USED to spew out years ago; cheap shit!

In the 80's Sony was (in my circle of aquaintances) synonymous with high tech, quality and reliability. More recently I hear that their reputation has diminished. I know we've got a VCR that's never be quite right from when we got it. But then again I've never met anyone with a duff PS2 despite often hearing how unreliable they are.

Without cold, hard figures I guess reliability's a very subjective matter. It only takes one highly valued (though not necessarily expensive; valued in contribution to one's lifestyle) product to go wrong and the manufacturer is severly tarnished in the owner's eyes. I mean, if someone came to me and said Samsung make unreliable drives, I'd rate that as just a hearsay spot of unreliable info. But if my Samsung Spinpoint drive dies and takes with it all my valuable info, I'll hate Samsung forever and never trust another Samsung product again!

Evil_Cloud said:
Nintendo is still expecting a rise in profit for their entire fiscal year 2006, though. They have Nintendo DS and LoZ: TP, so no harm done. Nintendo has never lost any money at the end of their fiscal year, on the contrary.

Don't forget GBMicro which is going to be HUGE!

Overall tho they have some seriously great products to offer, just take a look at their new tiny, shiny MP3 players with an OLED display and chromed buttons - ultra gorgeous or what!

Sorry, but only a person shopping on solely brand would buy those ugly and poorly featured and overpriced SONY flash players. Those tampon shaped things are big, ugly, and cheaply made. Go over to dapreview if you don't believe me. BTW there's nothing special about 2 color OLED displays on flash players since a lot of the players out there already have it. The latest tiny Samsung flash players with nice full color LCDs seems much more interesting to me than a tampon shaped SONY unit with a 2 color OLED display.

Problem is, half the stuff samsung makes definitely is total crap. I don't want to tell you how shitty that dvdrom drive I suffered with for years was,

I'm sure you can say the same about SONY products too.

Back