Nintendo announces 4.5 million Wii consoles sold worldwide

I'm still a doubter. I admit it. I don't think the Wii can possibly be the meat and potatoes console for the 18-30 year old males that buy most of the games. I just don't see it. No driving sims, no deep RPGs, no stellar action titles, no online offerings, no big FPS titles, no sandbox games, etc... There just isn't enough there IMO.

The Wii is a fun party console that may well go on to sell 40-50 million units and be very successful for Nintendo, but there's no way it can take over the market IMO.

Maybe I'm wrong and people don't care about GTAIV, Halo, GT, MGS, FF, etc... but I wouldn't bet on it.

The Wii has the worst 3rd party support.
While true technically anything thayt sees sales as brisk as wii will have automatic 3rd party support before long.

I highly doubt the Wii will achieve or even surpass PS2 like sales, especially in the long haul.
Considering how certain certain people were that will would flop badly immediately after launch I would not say that with such conviction.

But you mayb e right of course because PS2 salkes have been exceptional for a console. Nothing before it came quite that close (well original PS sold 80+ million I think so it is kind of close I guess).

Peace.

I'm still a doubter. I admit it. I don't think the Wii can possibly be the meat and potatoes console for the 18-30 year old males that buy most of the games. I just don't see it. No driving sims, no deep RPGs, no stellar action titles, no online offerings, no big FPS titles, no sandbox games, etc... There just isn't enough there IMO.

The Wii is a fun party console that may well go on to sell 40-50 million units and be very successful for Nintendo, but there's no way it can take over the market IMO.

Maybe I'm wrong and people don't care about GTAIV, Halo, GT, MGS, FF, etc... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Agreed - Wii != meat and potatoes.

But if the half the people that buy ps3 and half the people that buy 360 also buy wii as a secondary/party console then it has 1/3 the market assuming ps3~xb360. Add in sales to grandma and grandpa etc and viola ~ console leader.

But you mayb e right of course because PS2 salkes have been exceptional for a console. Nothing before it came quite that close (well original PS sold 80+ million I think so it is kind of close I guess).

The NES sold 60million times. Considering that was over 20 years ago when gaming was alot, lot smaller than when the ps2 launched those 60million might actually be a bigger accomplishment.

I think the gaming market may be expanding anyway, as in: there should be a market for at least 150 million primary consoles this gen even if they offer "just" what the PS2 offered. The Wii is reaching for a yet broader audience.

But I doubt it'll technically do 100 million. Mark my words: Nintendo will pull a DS lite and release an upgraded Wii in 2008. I can feel it :LOL:

And upgrade what? the DSL is exactly the same as the old DS it only looks different, has a crap D-pad and better screens (but you dont have a screen in your console). Maybe they could put in a scaler but gfx still are gonna be crap so that seems kinda useless. Especially since I doubt a scaler is very expansive so they might as well spend those few bucks more right from the start if they really cared about it. And the Wii already looks sleak while the old DS looked ugly.

It acutally is for hardcore gamers who think that they alone drive the gaming industry.

While nothing to do with the industry, I was a hardcore gamer until a couple of years ago, till after Unreal, UT, H-L and Q4 hype. Very, very few interesting things happened since. And Wii is the first totally new experience in years, so for me it was a clear thing I'll be getting one. And I really love it.

Why should different hype/apeal make a comparison between console launches faulty?.. Different levels of hype/apeal make launches better/worse, not incomparable.

Even the other things you've mentioned are usually different from console to console anyway.

It is a difeerent animal, though.

Of course there are racing games, as well as many others.

When you let a male wield the light sabre of their favourite Jedi in realtime, every single guy will go to the first shop and buy one. Trust me on this one.

When you let a male accurately wield the light sabre of their favourite Jedi in realtime, every single guy will go to the first shop and buy one. Trust me on this one.

That should do it!

I think the gaming market may be expanding anyway, as in: there should be a market for at least 150 million primary consoles this gen even if they offer "just" what the PS2 offered. The Wii is reaching for a yet broader audience.

But I doubt it'll technically do 100 million. Mark my words: Nintendo will pull a DS lite and release an upgraded Wii in 2008. I can feel it :LOL:

That is just a small evolutionary advance though, not a new gen or such. I wouldn't count that. Besides, nothing prevents them for keeping the old one and selling it even cheaper (think PS1 which you can still buy I think).

Wii will take Japan by storm, it has been designed by Nintendo for that, looking at the demographic trends and interest of the japanese population. That alones guarantee it better sales than GC.

I'm not sure that the West is ready to ignore the other consoles to the point of letting Wii rule the market.

Of course, Wii can become the 2nd console of everybody, but even i doubt that, most people do not have more than one console, and of course a lot of people are interested by the Wii, but a lot of people have yet to sit and try it. So interest is just hype, IMO.

As a long time Nintendo fan (boy), I'm quite puzzled by the Wii. I had to have it just to play Zelda or Mario, but for the first time, I really think my Nintendo console will not be my primary console.

And upgrade what? the DSL is exactly the same as the old DS it only looks different, has a crap D-pad and better screens (but you dont have a screen in your console). Maybe they could put in a scaler but gfx still are gonna be crap so that seems kinda useless. Especially since I doubt a scaler is very expansive so they might as well spend those few bucks more right from the start if they really cared about it. And the Wii already looks sleak while the old DS looked ugly.

You didn't see games like RE4, Rogue Leader, TWW on GC? Wii is at least twice as powerful, has way more memory, outputs higher resolution, and uses larger storage medium.

Dunno why people keep saying Wii gfx will be crap. :LOL:

As if all of the games will look like Wii Sports or something. :)

When you let a male wield the light sabre of their favourite Jedi in realtime, every single guy will go to the first shop and buy one. Trust me on this one.

Watch F5 do it. ;)

You didn't see games like RE4, Rogue Leader, TWW on GC? Wii is at least twice as powerful, has way more memory, outputs higher resolution, and uses larger storage medium.

Dunno why people keep saying Wii gfx will be crap. :LOL:

As if all of the games will look like Wii Sports or something. :)

I mean crap compared to x360 and ps3 so its useless to give it a hardware upgrade in 2008. I got a Wii, and I think it looks just fine on my CRT tv. If every game looked like zelda TP I wouldnt mind at all and having seen the last few levels of red steel, wich look good, I have no doubt that wii is capable of ''good'' gfx.

Nintendo have today announced that their groundbreaking Wii console has become the fastest-selling console in history selling 4.50 million units in just under three months

...and they are making a profit on each one sold? Guess it's time to buy more Nintendo stocks.

Back