NPD March 2017 Sales Results

Your initial post was instant derailment of the thread topic, March NPD sales.
How?
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/npd-march-2017-sales-results.60037/#post-1977236
It is an exceptionally strong start. Can't help but feel it's very much the Zelda effect though, such that the hardware appeal isn't as strong as sales suggest. That is, people are buying Switch to play Zelda, and not to game on a console that they take with them or play coop games in Starbucks.
How is that a derailment, talking about the numbers and reasons behind them?? Are we to have one thread that reports the numbers (which'll consist of a few posts as the numbers come in) and then individual threads discussing the whys and wherefores for each platform's particular sales that month? :???:

If your very intent on discussing hypotheticals on what if Switch were a simplified model, why not start a thread to discuss that? Or even in the tech thread that would make more sense than in the March NPD thread.
It could be spun off, but at the same time there's nothing else being discussed here! ;) There's really nothing else to talk about, is there?

There is room for discussion about the numbers as they stand if anyone were really interested in doing so. How have launch Switch sales stacked up to other consoles over the years. Platforms that launched in March, how does it compare? Or how about the fact that PS4 outsold the Xbox One in the US.
No-one's stopping anyone posting that. No-one's stopped you posting that if that's what you want to talk about. At this point I'll just drop it.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...rives-march-games-sales-to-usd1-36b-in-us-npd

714x-1

Something to note, Zhuge mentioned on twitter that ME and Wildlands include digital sales while Horizon does not. (edit: Zelda, Horizon, MLB, 1-2 Switch and Bomberman do not include digital sales.)

Nice to see MLB in the top 5 and Nier actually chart.

edit2: There's a typo in the above article, NPD stated that Horizon sold 2x as much as GG's next best title KZ SF, but they meant KZ2. So that puts Horizon at ~650k without digital.

Last edited:
Interesting note...

This will have the effect of pushing Sony exclusive titles down the charts, pressuring them to allow NPD access to their digital sales.

That was NPD's dastardly plan all along, but it's showing some fruit here.

Edit: although some neogaf fanboys would probably be happier with "Game X sold huge digitally, obviously! and you cant disprove it!"

And LOL, there is only 6 Switch games I guess? Switch has a top 6 instead of top 10.

BTW I guess the top 20 is NPD, who now have two NPD executives posting regularly in Neogaf sales threads, feeling the pressure to give out more data. However one of them stated they contractually cannot give out sales without publisher permission. I'm guessing hardware used to be somewhat of an exception.

From a GAF insider Horizon digital sales ar one third of the sales

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234378493&postcount=8010

I hope Sony will begin to give digital sales too...

I was so wrong about 1-2 Switch. I totally expected it to bomb. I was/am of the opinion that its not worth the full retail price. No way would I pay more than $30 for that, but I guess a lot of people were anxious to buy software for their shiny new console. Good to see Bomberman R doing pretty well. The recent update to 60fps is pushing me towards a purchase.

Back