NPD March 2017 Sales Results

Sony banked on media last gen, Microsoft this gen. I'm not so sure I'm ready to write this off a greater media focus as a 'gimmick' as much as bad timing or poor technology compromise choices.
Media support is just software at this point - not a gimmick that compromises the experience. It's also worth noting that PS3 cost a bundle thanks to BRD and the games didn't benefit at all, and XB360 didn't appear to suffer from lack of sales due to an absence of HD video. Sony designed Sixaxis into PS3 and that was pointless. MS designed Kinect into XB1 and that was pointless. Nintendo designed a tablet controller into Wii U and that was pointless. 3DS had a 3D screen which contributed nothing much in the end, such that they could release a 2D screen 3DS. Back to our original discussion, would a Nintendo handheld with HDMI port, a true successor to DS/3DS, be selling twice as much as Switch now? The earliest NPD can show this is next month if Switch sales are off a cliff. If they stay high, it may be a year before we can determine if the USPs of Switch are helping drive sales or are just holding the platform back by making it more expensive than needs be.

Zelda also sold better than 1:1 (!)

LoL, good to see that Amazon was correct in predicting the greater than 1:1 sales ration of Zelda to Switch. Also backs up my feeling that everyone that bought a Switch likely bought Zelda as well making it quite likely the launch title with the single highest attach rate in the history of gaming.

And I still can't find a @#%#$# Nintendo Switch anywhere at MSRP. Oh well, still don't have much time so still not a big deal. I just want one already.

Regards,
SB

like it was with the launch of the Wii, theres plenty of switches on the shelves here in NZ, I could buy >10 if I wanted too. Whats the 'actual' guaranteed current scalping price in the USA?

The lowest I've seen for a new packaged Nintendo Switch was 360 USD at Amazon. It averages about 390-420 USD on Amazon and Newegg. I imagine that price can go higher and lower depending on demand at any given moment. That's just what I've seen when I've checked. Ebay seems fairly similar although there's people there trying to get upwards of 500 USD for theirs.

Also worthy of note, there's been a rampant swath of Amazon seller accounts getting hacked. And the number one product hackers are using to gain quick cash? Nintendo Switch, advertising it for 212-220 USD. They basically hack the accounts (social engineering through e-mails to the account holders), get some quick cash from duping gullible consumers (price too good to be true? probably is), and then move onto another account.

Regards,
SB

Media support is just software at this point - not a gimmick that compromises the experience. It's also worth noting that PS3 cost a bundle thanks to BRD and the games didn't benefit at all, and XB360 didn't appear to suffer from lack of sales due to an absence of HD video. Sony designed Sixaxis into PS3 and that was pointless. MS designed Kinect into XB1 and that was pointless. Nintendo designed a tablet controller into Wii U and that was pointless. 3DS had a 3D screen which contributed nothing much in the end, such that they could release a 2D screen 3DS. Back to our original discussion, would a Nintendo handheld with HDMI port, a true successor to DS/3DS, be selling twice as much as Switch now? The earliest NPD can show this is next month if Switch sales are off a cliff. If they stay high, it may be a year before we can determine if the USPs of Switch are helping drive sales or are just holding the platform back by making it more expensive than needs be.
How much does a dock cost though?
Because that's the only part that you could drop and still have the local co-op that the detacheable controllers offer.
(Which I tend to see as integral since it is a feature exploited by well received software already, and by Mario Kart in a couple of weeks.)

It is only if you want a completely stationary console that you could conceivably save much. And that would simply be a completely different device, with no reason to have any similarities with Switch at all.

Because that's the only part that you could drop and still have the local co-op that the detacheable controllers offer.
(Which I tend to see as integral since it is a feature exploited by well received software already, and by Mario Kart in a couple of weeks.)
We'll have to wait and see if local copy on a 7" screen ends up being a big thing or not.

It is only if you want a completely stationary console that you could conceivably save much. And that would simply be a completely different device, with no reason to have any similarities with Switch at all.
A pure portable would be a lot a cheaper without detachable controllers ($90 BOM estimate for two). It could also be a more convenient form factor, more portable.

Media support is just software at this point - not a gimmick that compromises the experience. It's also worth noting that PS3 cost a bundle thanks to BRD and the games didn't benefit at all, and XB360 didn't appear to suffer from lack of sales due to an absence of HD video.

Media is mostly a software issue but not entirely because people don't want to have to fight their device to consume their media. Anybody who used their PS3 as their Blu-ray player will likely have broken down and bought the Bluetooth media remote because a DualShock 3 is rubbish for this. Kinect helped Microsoft address this problem by letting you talk to the console (as does AppleTV). As for BRD not doing anything for games, it did keep them one one disc which anybody who played Blue Dragon or Mass Effect 3 on Xbox 360 would appreciate.

The earliest NPD can show this is next month if Switch sales are off a cliff. If they stay high, it may be a year before we can determine if the USPs of Switch are helping drive sales or are just holding the platform back by making it more expensive than needs be.

Hardware or software sales? Hardware sales can only go down after a launch month and for software I think Nintendo's pricing policies, which is result in most multi-platform games are more expensive on Switch, will take their toll. I Lego City Undercover on Switch digitally and it was ÂŁ50 on both Sony and Nintendo's online stores but if you're buying it physically then the disparity is ÂŁ45 on Switch cartridge vs. ÂŁ36 on PS4/XBO disc - Amazon UK pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The earliest NPD can show this is next month if Switch sales are off a cliff. If they stay high, it may be a year before we can determine if the USPs of Switch are helping drive sales or are just holding the platform back by making it more expensive than needs be.

You seem to be trying to sell the idea that Switch would have done better if it hadn't included some of the features that increase the cost, and that's ok if you feel that way. What I don't agree with is your wanting to use a single months sales as evidence to support your opinion, but only if the numbers work in your favor. If the numbers don't support your opinion we suddenly have to wait a year to know anything?

I personally think that a month or two tells us very little, and we need to see what 2017's sales look like before making claims about success or failure. There are multiple releases that may or may not result in increased demand for Switch throughout the year. Then there is the always strong Christmas holiday where Switch will certainly do well. To many variables to have a clear picture of what things look like. Early success looks very positive, and there isn't really any evidence that the Switch is in trouble at this point.

What I don't agree with is your wanting to use a single months sales as evidence to support your opinion
I said we need to ignore the first month sales. I haven't stated an opinion that that number would support. Maybe you've misread?
, but only if the numbers work in your favor. If the numbers don't support your opinion we suddenly have to wait a year to know anything?
No. The minimum time needed for some evidence to my argument (simpler, cheaper hardware will have more appeal) will need to get past the initial enthusiast adoption of the hardware. There's going to be some months' sales not driven by anything much more than it being a new console. After the honeymoon period, then we see longer term wider consumer interest. The only reason a shorter period can be indicative is if hardware numbers plummet - that shows interest in the hardware isn't there. That is, weak early sales shows weak interest in the console, whereas strong early sales don't show strong interest in the console. You have to look into the medium term to see general consumer interest.

I personally think that a month or two tells us very little
What if sales plummet this month? Let's say hypothetically exaggerated for discussion 50k NPD sales. Would that not be indicative of anything? It'd show clearly in my mind that the console only appealed to existing Nintendo fans. 900k sales again would show interest remains high, perhaps the console being undersupplied. 2,000k sales would show interest in the machine is growing. None describes the long term future but 2 months sales does give something to talk about. ;)

and we need to see what 2017's sales look like before making claims about success or failure.
I haven't made any claims about success or failure. I've asked a question about the appeal of novel hardware choices and stated that we need longer term numbers to use Switch as an example for answering that question, unless there's a sudden drop in interest in which case we can start answering that question earlier.

I said we need to ignore the first month sales. I haven't stated an opinion that that number would support. Maybe you've misread?
No. The minimum time needed for some evidence to my argument (simpler, cheaper hardware will have more appeal) will need to get past the initial enthusiast adoption of the hardware. There's going to be some months' sales not driven by anything much more than it being a new console. After the honeymoon period, then we see longer term wider consumer interest. The only reason a shorter period can be indicative is if hardware numbers plummet - that shows interest in the hardware isn't there. That is, weak early sales shows weak interest in the console, whereas strong early sales don't show strong interest in the console. You have to look into the medium term to see general consumer interest.

What if sales plummet this month? Let's say hypothetically exaggerated for discussion 50k NPD sales. Would that not be indicative of anything? It'd show clearly in my mind that the console only appealed to existing Nintendo fans. 900k sales again would show interest remains high, perhaps the console being undersupplied. 2,000k sales would show interest in the machine is growing. None describes the long term future but 2 months sales does give something to talk about. ;)

I haven't made any claims about success or failure. I've asked a question about the appeal of novel hardware choices and stated that we need longer term numbers to use Switch as an example for answering that question, unless there's a sudden drop in interest in which case we can start answering that question earlier.

Your dealing with a total hypothetical that we will never really know for sure unless Nintendo were to release a stripped down version, or if a competitor came in with such a product and cleaned house. There are numerous examples that tell us gimmicks are typically well received. Wii, DS, and 3DS all did very well, and outsold their more traditional competition. PS2 even had the gimmick of having a DVD player, and most will agree this helped the appeal of the PS2.

Why are you in such a rush to discuss hypothetical poor sales when we will have the answer to this in a month? This thread was started concerning the NPD sales for March, and you immediately steer the conversation towards "what if sales plummet this month."

There likely will be a big drop in sales for April compared to March. Nintendo will have less supply available than they had ready for March. Retailers are still sold out in most cases, I think we need not worry about plummeting sales until there is some evidence that this is happening. Once we see units stacked up on retail shelves, and the ability to go online and order one, only then will we start to see what sustained momentum looks like.

We'll have to wait and see if local copy on a 7" screen ends up being a big thing or not.

A pure portable would be a lot a cheaper without detachable controllers ($90 BOM estimate for two). It could also be a more convenient form factor, more portable.
Well, snipperclips and bomberman are both selling well, and are pretty much meant to be played by two (or more in the case of bomberman). I'm willing to bet a lot of Mario Kart will be played 2up as well, using separated controllers with or without little steering wheels.
I can't really understand the need to cast the Switch as either a purely mobile device or (even more bizarre), as a stationary. If you are going to play Mario Kart with two players, at home, then doing it on a big screen makes sense. If on the other hand me and the kids travel by train, them playing snipperclips together on the portable screen is a good option. If my older daughter wants to settle an issue with dad in ARMS, then again the big screen makes those punches way more satisfying. :) Taking away functionality may make the device cheaper, but also less appealing.
Not only are the detacheable controllers a value for 2up gameplay, but they are what allows me to play Zelda BotW on the big screen and in bed without having to buy any extra controllers. They are integral to the sofa+mobile gameplay concept.
And that concept is quite compelling.

Speculation about sales volumes is largely premature. The Switch is off to a good start, we'll get a better idea how it does after its first holiday sales. If publishers have been waiting for a first impression on how it does, well now they have it. Consumers are interested. If they want some valid statistics, they need to wait until Jan/Feb 2018.

I think sales will plummet this month regardless just due to manufacturing allocation. While they have increased their orders for the year, it'll take time to ramp up manufacturing and then there's shipping time, unless they decide to air-drop units which is highly doubtful.

All of their initial units sold out in the first day and then it's only been a trickle of units (relative to demand) since then from their original manufacturing allocation. I think there's 2 things to look for.
  1. Sales drop for the 2nd month and keep dropping after that.
  2. Sales dip for 1-2 months and then start to pick up again.
The other thing to keep an eye on is how supply and demand work out over the next few months. Does demand continue to outstrip supply? For how long? In what regions?
  • If this is a flash in the pan type of deal (sales/demand fall off a cliff), then I expect supply to overcome demand within a month. I don't think this'll be the case.
  • If this is something more normal, then I expect supply to meet demand in the next 1-3 months. This is likely.
  • If there turns out to be rabid demand (like Wii) then supply may not meet demand for a long time. I doubt this will be the case.
Now that doesn't say how it'll do after the first year. That's much harder to predict.

I have a feeling that as a living room console, interest will wane similar to Wii-U albeit maybe not as drastically. However, the fact that it can also be used as a portable will keep interest and use up. Basically if it was just a home console, it'd likely face a similar sales trajectory to Wii-U. However, since it can also be used detached from a TV means that it's likely to have a much better sales performance and long term user interest than the Wii-U. I think it has the potential to have longer consumer interest than the Wii, but it may not ever eclipse Wii sales numbers (longer sales period but not as high sales in any given year).

For comparison, despite 3DS never dropping below 249 USD for a long long time, demand remained quite high for many years. And that offers in many ways a far worse gaming experience than the Switch (same battery life, more limited gameplay and graphics), although in a more easily portable form factor.

Regards,
SB

I think sales will plummet this month regardless just due to manufacturing allocation. While they have increased their orders for the year, it'll take time to ramp up manufacturing and then there's shipping time, unless they decide to air-drop units which is highly doubtful.

All of their initial units sold out in the first day and then it's only been a trickle of units (relative to demand) since then from their original manufacturing allocation. I think there's 2 things to look for.
  1. Sales drop for the 2nd month and keep dropping after that.
  2. Sales dip for 1-2 months and then start to pick up again.
The other thing to keep an eye on is how supply and demand work out over the next few months. Does demand continue to outstrip supply? For how long? In what regions?
  • If this is a flash in the pan type of deal (sales/demand fall off a cliff), then I expect supply to overcome demand within a month. I don't think this'll be the case.
  • If this is something more normal, then I expect supply to meet demand in the next 1-3 months. This is likely.
  • If there turns out to be rabid demand (like Wii) then supply may not meet demand for a long time. I doubt this will be the case.
Now that doesn't say how it'll do after the first year. That's much harder to predict.

I have a feeling that as a living room console, interest will wane similar to Wii-U albeit maybe not as drastically. However, the fact that it can also be used as a portable will keep interest and use up. Basically if it was just a home console, it'd likely face a similar sales trajectory to Wii-U. However, since it can also be used detached from a TV means that it's likely to have a much better sales performance and long term user interest than the Wii-U. I think it has the potential to have longer consumer interest than the Wii, but it may not ever eclipse Wii sales numbers (longer sales period but not as high sales in any given year).

For comparison, despite 3DS never dropping below 249 USD for a long long time, demand remained quite high for many years. And that offers in many ways a far worse gaming experience than the Switch (same battery life, more limited gameplay and graphics), although in a more easily portable form factor.

Regards,
SB

What was the deal with 3DS, I recall it had a slow start - I got mine at launch, as a 'thankyou' I became part of the ambassador program (lots of free digital titles) and got a free numbered t-shirt...this was not known at the time of launch, I think it was because 3DS had an early price drop but memory is rubbish.

WRT switch, I think it has had a huge early demand for several reasons;

1) Last Ninty handheld released a long time again
2) WiiU was a failure and Ninty fans waited out a generation
3) It's launched with no competition and is a fairly unique product (ability to continue TV game on the go)

I personally think demand will drop off, this isn't another Wii - there is demand and there are plenty of people like me who are interested but only at the right price. I don't this switch will fail, I think it will do ok.

Ninty reduced 3ds price 40% just after 4 month in the market.

Sales plummeted after first months

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

Why are you in such a rush to discuss hypothetical poor sales when we will have the answer to this in a month? This thread was started concerning the NPD sales for March, and you immediately steer the conversation towards "what if sales plummet this month."
You're very focussed on the negative. I didn't steer it to 'what if sales bomb' but 'what are the sales motivations for Switch and the long term futures?' that being a question. And what else are we supposed to discuss with sales numbers?! New console on the market, it sells well - are we just supposed to post a few 'congratulations Nintendo!' posts here? Not like there's anything to discuss with PS4 and XB1.

I don't get your reticence to talk about predictions. Well, I do... ;)

You're very focussed on the negative. I didn't steer it to 'what if sales bomb' but 'what are the sales motivations for Switch and the long term futures?' that being a question. And what else are we supposed to discuss with sales numbers?! New console on the market, it sells well - are we just supposed to post a few 'congratulations Nintendo!' posts here? Not like there's anything to discuss with PS4 and XB1.

I don't get your reticence to talk about predictions. Well, I do... ;)

Your initial post was instant derailment of the thread topic, March NPD sales. If your very intent on discussing hypotheticals on what if Switch were a simplified model, why not start a thread to discuss that? Or even in the tech thread that would make more sense than in the March NPD thread.

There is room for discussion about the numbers as they stand if anyone were really interested in doing so. How have launch Switch sales stacked up to other consoles over the years. Platforms that launched in March, how does it compare? Or how about the fact that PS4 outsold the Xbox One in the US.

I think predictions based on the first month are ok when grounded in the information we have available. Its really pointless, because even lackluster early numbers can be recovered from like the 3DS. Or the Xbox One was off to a great start but then lost ground to the PS4 on a month to month basis. Seems premature to discuss sales plummeting when we only have a months worth of sales figures, and that months worth of figures is really good. The discussion holds merit when there is some figures that support the topic. Right now, sales plummeting or Switch being the next Wii, we really don't know. Both accusations have little ground to stand on.

Back