NPD April 2011

But as mentioned, the 360 has a much bigger install base in the US.

Plus I would think MK would appeal more to the 360's userbase than Street Fighter.

Still going to say it was PS3. As far as I know the "system ordering does not indicate sales ordering" thing was added by Evilore, and doesn't appear in any NPD materials.

Like I said their may be strange caveats, but in general I think system ordering DOES indicate sales order. It just makes too much sense not too.

I'm sure Nintendo isn't super happy about the 3DS numbers, but I also doubt that they're terribly surprised. They didn't exactly ship the thing in prime sales times, game-wise.

The DS is alive and well while being significantly cheaper than the 3DS. Once Nintendo starts pushing first party exclusives on the 3DS, it seems likely that it will pick up steam. Especially if they're able to drop the price a bit.

The PS3 estimate of 365k last month (March) was confirmed to be within 2k by jvm at GAF.

So basically we've gotten all the major hardware numbers both months under the no numbers policy. Though software data has gotten pitiful.

I wonder what kind of effect the PSN outage had / will have on NPD?
In Japan, the sales ratio 360/PS3 about doubled during the three weeks of the outage.

japan_saleshtwl.jpg

Yeah It will definitely boost xbox360 sales in the next NPD, the ps3 may even drop below the wii.
Same thing in europe, I actually saw xbox360 titles in some top10's from various countries where normally its only wii/ps3

Will it really increase 360 sales? I'd be more inclined to believe that PS3 might drop, but 360 sales will be unaffected. That's another way to interpret the previous Japan graph.

Will it really increase 360 sales? I'd be more inclined to believe that PS3 might drop, but 360 sales will be unaffected. That's another way to interpret the previous Japan graph.

I dunno gamers want to play in their free time. For some its a way to blow off the stress of a hard day. I doubt many will want to sit through a month of not having that outlet . Couple that with strong discounts on the xbox line and we may see some big numbers next npd

They actually ran a local story on TV about it a week ago here. At the time of the story a local games store had 0 used copies of black ops in stock for the 360, but about 20 for the ps3. They also had a number of new ps3 systems traded in since the outage. I'm not sure how widespread that phenomenon would be or how significant an impact it would have, but I expect there's some effect in both directions (decrease in ps3 and increase in 360).

Just to add , two weeks ago we bought my gf a xbox 360 4gig . IT was $200 with a $50 target coupon , 3 months of live and 400 points. Thats not bad at all imo and a big discount compared to last month

I dunno gamers want to play in their free time. For some its a way to blow off the stress of a hard day. I doubt many will want to sit through a month of not having that outlet . Couple that with strong discounts on the xbox line and we may see some big numbers next npd
Scott's definitely right about that particular graph being relative. Maybe there are lots of people out there with a couple of hundred bucks to throw at a new platform for a few weeks inconvenience, but considering the number of PSN folk who are dead set against a nominal $50 a month fee for online gaming, I doubt there's many who'd pay $200 for 1 or 2 weeks worth of gaming!

Scott's definitely right about that particular graph being relative. Maybe there are lots of people out there with a couple of hundred bucks to throw at a new platform for a few weeks inconvenience, but considering the number of PSN folk who are dead set against a nominal $50 a month fee for online gaming, I doubt there's many who'd pay $200 for 1 or 2 weeks worth of gaming!

$50 a year. ;) (and I've never actually paid more than $40 all the time I've been a live gold member)

If you traded in your console the cost is actually pretty low, assuming the intent wasn't to trade back after the fix.

$50 a year. ;)
:mrgreen:

If you traded in your console the cost is actually pretty low, assuming the intent wasn't to trade back after the fix.
The cost is still extraordinary for all of 1 or 2 weeks online gaming. You'd lose all your games and PSN content and friends and presumably access to Sony exclusives which I'm guessing is a good part of the draw of PS3 in the first place. There'll be some folks who abandon PS3 altogether as an accumulation of complaints over the years, but this one outtage on its own can't lead to a mass exodus.

The cost is still extraordinary for all of 1 or 2 weeks online gaming. You'd lose all your games and PSN content and friends and presumably access to Sony exclusives which I'm guessing is a good part of the draw of PS3 in the first place. There'll be some folks who abandon PS3 altogether as an accumulation of complaints over the years, but this one outtage on its own can't lead to a mass exodus.

Some people are fickle and don't really have an attachment. If you trade your games in all the time you really don't have anything to lose by jumping ship. I personally don't understand the attachment to old games, I play the game for a while and move on, I rarely go back to anything, if I were of lesser means I'd probably just trade everything in.

Don't forget also that a large number of gamers almost play around three games, so COD of the year, FIFA/NFL of the year and the R* of the year… Not a problem to swap system…
And exclusivities is only a factor important for Gamers actives on internet, so basically around 10% of the whole gamers.
Attachment/perceive of the mark is more important than exclusivities for many.

Pretty sure it will actually be on Monday the 13th this month. It was originally scheduled for the 9th but they delayed it for E3.

NPD will always delay for any reason. So slow.

Back in the day I remember it was on the 2nd thurs of the month, so yes it probably should have been the 9th, so it fits. Half the time they delay it though. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up delayed from Monday too.

Back