NPD April 2011

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Software (New Physical Retail only) - System Ordering Does Not Indicate Sales Ordering
01. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360)** Warner Bros. Interactive - 1+ Million With Special Editions (Much Higher Debut Than Both Street Fighter IV and MvC 3)
02. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts - 637K NOTE: 360 version sold 60% more than PS3 version
03. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PC) LucasArts
04. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
05. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360, PS3, Wii)** Electronic Arts
06. Crysis 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts - 236K
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
08. Michael Jackson The Experience (360, Wii, PS3, NDS, PSP) Ubisoft
09. Pokemon White Version (NDS) Nintendo
10. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC) Take 2 Interactive - 190K

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

"The NPD Group has added several retailers to its panel, including Toys R Us, with the April 2011 release of its Retail Tracking Service covering Video Games."

Software Notes:

If SOCOM 4's accessory bundle sales counted, it would have been in the Top 10 as well. (Anita Frazier Below)

Top 10 Individual SKUs include: (Gamasutra And Anita Frazier Below)
-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS)
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-Just Dance 2 (Wii)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)
-And Presumably Mortal Kombat (PS3)

Software LTDs:

Kinect Sports - 3+ Million Worldwide
Dance Central - 2.5+ Million Worldwide

Hardware:

Xbox 360 - 297K (+60%) - Top Selling Console
PlayStation 3 - ~204.3K (+13%)
Nintendo 3DS - 194K
Wii - 172K (-38%)

Keep an eye on the npd thread on neogaf for updates: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430044

How long can the 360 keep up the momentum?

3DS beaten by its older brother again.

glad to see that NPD has increased their sample size.

Horrible for 3DS. How can the Nintendo apologists not admit there's a problem? :p

shold have 10m by the end of the year , don't see that as a problem. Nintendo has yet to release any big titles. E-shop launches during nintendos press confrence for e3 and and zelda a week after.

we will see what june brings and july with star fox

shold have 10m by the end of the year , don't see that as a problem. Nintendo has yet to release any big titles. E-shop launches during nintendos press confrence for e3 and and zelda a week after.

we will see what june brings and july with star fox

That sounds awful lot like the stuff we heard from people about PS3 in 2006-2008, well I quess things turned out ok for them, but iOS and android devices are really turning on the heat in the mobile space.

Jobs already stated that in 2010 the Ipod Touch sold more than Nintendo and Sony portable gaming devices combined. I dunno if that should include an asterisk, but I definitely think they are sky rocketing up, whereas the traditional handheld gaming is going down. At the moment I don't have too much faith on PSP2 either.

I'm guessing the PSN outage really took the "Steam" out of Portal 2's PS3 sales.

See what I did there?

Haha :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something?

GAF is saying that the PS3 version of MK was the higher selling SKU, but according to RobertR1's post, it was the X360 that is the higher selling version.

The PS3 selling more makes sense to me as it has Kratos as an exclusive character where the X360 has nothing.

Edit: It seems that GAF post were corrected around page 3. I'm very surprised that it was not the PS3 that sold more. The game is really a lot of fun with an awesome Story mode.

Yes, that is a well kept secret, being part of Orange Box on PS3. I think the 360 even has a separate XBLA release?

It has a separate XBLA release now, but originally came in the Orange Box for 360 too.

Crysis 2 has some legs! Actually moved up a spot from last month. Good to see, hope it continues. Guessing it's around 500k now in the USA. So perhaps near 1 million worldwide.

Edit: And EA did report shipped 2 million in their financials.

I'm guessing the PSN outage really took the "Steam" out of Portal 2's PS3 sales.

Well, to be serious for a moment :)p), as interesting as April results are for hardware, May results ought to be even more so with the bulk of the outage taking place now. In particular, I'd be pretty concerned for Brink sales considering its value is pretty much as an online multiplayer game, but I digress.

The PS3 selling more makes sense to me as it has Kratos as an exclusive character where the X360 has nothing.

Edit: It seems that GAF post were corrected around page 3. I'm very surprised that it was not the PS3 that sold more.
The install base of PS3/360 is vastly apart in the US though. An exclusive character only sways those people who own both consoles. Single-console owners can't choose.

Fighting games have a documented history of selling better on PS3 though (though this gap seems to be narrowing). I believe Super SS4 and MvC 3 for two.

I still think for the most part, the order NPD lists the system probably means the sales order (it could mean revenue order rather than units, it could exclude special editions, etc, leading to some inconsistencies). I'm guessing MK sold slightly more on PS3.

Am I missing something?

GAF is saying that the PS3 version of MK was the higher selling SKU, but according to RobertR1's post, it was the X360 that is the higher selling version.

Edit: It seems that GAF post were corrected around page 3. I'm very surprised that it was not the PS3 that sold more. The game is really a lot of fun with an awesome Story mode.

You really think Kratos as an extra character is going to massively push up sales?

That sounds awful lot like the stuff we heard from people about PS3 in 2006-2008, well I quess things turned out ok for them, but iOS and android devices are really turning on the heat in the mobile space.

A better comparision would be of the original DS , it also had poor start and people dismised it for the upcoming sony portable.

We all saw how it ended up however.

The 3ds is selling at $100 higher msrp .

I will agree with many if june numbers don't see a boost

Here is first year DS for an example in the NPD

November = 479,695
December = 745,899
January = 152,091
February = 138,000
March = 138,000
April = 70,000
May = 57,000
June = 112,000
July = 80,000
August =100,000
September = 168,000
October = 136,000

You really think Kratos as an extra character is going to massively push up sales?

It was massively advertised with Kratos that it almost appeared that an X360 version did not exist. It also has a superior D-pad on PS3 for the majority of owners that do not own the new X360 pad.

As a multi-plat owner, given the content between the 2 of them, I would have chosen the PS3 version. Following the threads on Neogaf, it appeared that the excitement for the PS3 version greatly outstripped the interest for the X360 version.

If I was back on the mainland US, I would choose the X360 version because most of my friends are on Live.

Back