Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Nintendo have sub par hardware, they won't be making bad VR. At least from the experience in wii and wii u.

Nintendo themselves will make a game highly tailored for their limitations. It's the 3rd party that will make weird stuff.

We know nintendo wouldn't settle for a lesser VR experience. Am I right, Virtual Boy?

I am not sure the Nintendo philosophy of hardware (trying to do innovative stuff using old and cheap tech) is compatible with modern VR, which is very demanding in both the hardware and software aspects.

Nope. Nintendo will have horrible VR. It's an after thought with subpar hardware.

mmh Wii U Gamepad with embedded hardware and stereoscopic screen, that would be enhanced VR, not an asocial experience, if you can plug it to the TV you can share, so even better, with a camera, you could use it for AR too...
Endless possibilities, although I dream of AR to have all data when I'm shopping, be it for glasses (weight, cost, with ability to filter those data), or car (volume, cost, trunk volume, headroom, legroom; rather critical when you're 2m tall), anyway going off topic.

Whatever Nintendo releases I'll have a look at it, they have been pretty much the only option to have a fun social experience around video games for many years now...

Isn't on the virtual boy, snes nes, and GC they are on the bleeding edge of tech?

Nintendo have experience on old tech and bleeding edge tech.

NX? Dunno which way they'll go

Assuming any of this latest report is real:

If Nintendo were bothered about VR (I personally don't think they are given previous comments), why would they want to try and make their own hardware for it? I mean why wouldn't they just make it compatible with one of the other 3rd party offerings?

Seems a huge waste of resources to try and design from scratch something that has already been refined with years of development by other vendors. Nintendo didn't try and design their own HD TVs when they went HD, for example.

I could see them bumping their specs to ensure NX had minumum specs for VR (although I personally don't think this is happening either), but I can't see them actually trying to make their own VR hardware in this instance.

I also don't think there is any further delay beyond what they previously announced. Mass production beginning start of 2017 could still be pointing to Q1 launch.

If they are changing anything hardware wise for vr, its not a bump in specs. Better gpu is nice for VR, but not as much of a requirement as people make it out to be. You can always simolify your game's graphics to hit a high fps, and we know nintendo doesn't mind simplistic graphics.
If anything they are just ajusting the board to incorporate whatever i/o needed for VR hardware, maybe improving the handheld's scree res for a google-cardboard-like thinguie.

Last edited:
Am I the only one not carring at all about VR ? (on pc or console or whatever)
No you are not I hate the idea of alienating myself to that extend, I do prefer AR which could for example extend the content out of the primary display, something like a virtual "roomalive" or "illuminiroom".

Am I the only one not carring at all about VR ? (on pc or console or whatever)

Nope, I'm in the same boat. I'm only mildly interested in VR, and mostly for the pinball experience with a real life standing faux pinball interface (as seen on Tested). IMO, all of the current VR attempts are ultimately going to fail. At best they'll have a Kinect like surge of interest before it gradually dies.

I'm much more interested in untethered AR, such as Hololens. Magic Leap will likely be interesting as well...if they ever show anything publicly. Although I'm expecting it to be tethered which will be less interesting. We'll have to see.

Regards,
SB

IMO, all of the current VR attempts are ultimately going to fail. At best they'll have a Kinect like surge of interest before it gradually dies.
[/QUOTE]
I was also skeptical of VR before I tried it; Elite Dangerous was my revelation. VR is game changing for cockpit-like games but it's not going to sweep up all gaming experiences. Moving around a 3D space when the player is stationary has a considerable disconnect. Something like GTA would be incredibly difficult because the in-car stuff would work great but on-foot stuff would create a massive disconnect in terms of control and spacial placement inside the game.

VR can be utterly awesome but there are barriers to break and I'm not looking forward to endless on-rails shooters.

Yes but it could be a selling strategy, get the "big" card reveal like a cheaper alternative to the 1070 and make the "300 vs 400 same performance". Im not saying this is the case just that it could be.

Why would you even get a water block on a card that consume less than 150W? Until the chip can hold 2v I dont see the need for it...

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Not official but NX may use VR and it seens like PS and XB will also use it.

Could AMD design Polaris to specifically server as a chip for this 3 consoles? Because to me it seems that it fits all of their needs.

I don't think AMD has anything to do with NX. There's talk of ARM and Nvidia.

I don't think AMD has anything to do with NX. There's talk of ARM and Nvidia.
I dont see how you could have enough power to "next next gen games" with an ARM solution even less when talking about VR and I dont see Nvidia creating a better "package" than AMD(like tegra x1 + a gp106 vs zen + polaris?) and this is exactly the reason why AMD is in all 3 current console, isnt it?

I dont see how you could have enough power to "next next gen games" with an ARM solution ...
Nintendo has never been about next generation games. Their consoles have always been underpowered toys, but with lots of fun, kid/FD family friendly games. (The Wii is the only consoles that ever entered our house, there was never any request for anything else.)

An ARM or very wimpy x86 should work just fine.

Nintendo has never been about next generation games. Their consoles have always been underpowered toys, but with lots of fun, kid/FD family friendly games. (The Wii is the only consoles that ever entered our house, there was never any request for anything else.)

An ARM or very wimpy x86 should work just fine.

Im right on this, they have allways fund themselves on the games .... the softwares first ( all for the games ), less on the hardware, technical aspect.. and this have allways been the case ( maybe the best moment for describe it, is the N64 vs the PS1 ) .. On their "Mobile" console today, thats a bit the problem, graphically and technically, they provide who could be match by a smartphone, but ofc, no smartphone games offers what they can offer. But outside Asia and Japan specifically, thats a bit hard to follow.

( sorry ( again ) for the double post.. )

Yes but that is exactly the reason why Nintendo make the decision of develop the NX like a year? after the Wii U fiasco. And unless they are planing to sell games with the Wii graphics I dont see a very low end hardware been able to move games on VR. (remember that only the latest gen of AMD and Nvidia are efficient enough to do it on not High-end cards)

Yes but that is exactly the reason why Nintendo make the decision of develop the NX like a year? after the Wii U fiasco. And unless they are planing to sell games with the Wii graphics I dont see a very low end hardware been able to move games on VR. (remember that only the latest gen of AMD and Nvidia are efficient enough to do it on not High-end cards)

For be honest, with all the problems have Nintendo right now ( even in Japan, who is sadly not encouraging ( before when Nintendo was not doing well, it was outside Japan ), im pretty sure they are ready to do anything, even what they have allways consider as a big NO.. ( as doing games for the smartphones market, or up technically their hardware )

Yes but it could be a selling strategy, get the "big" card reveal like a cheaper alternative to the 1070 and make the "300 vs 400 same performance". Im not saying this is the case just that it could be.

Why would you even get a water block on a card that consume less than 150W? Until the chip can hold 2v I dont see the need for it...

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Not official but NX may use VR and it seens like PS and XB will also use it.

Could AMD design Polaris to specifically server as a chip for this 3 consoles? Because to me it seems that it fits all of their needs.

Nintendo is using Nvidia Shield-like equipment setups.

They can do that afterwards too, just issue a statement saying we are now giving rebates. It doesn't detract from the 1070 at all.

You are trying to make the case that this rx480 line is like 48xx line, I don't put faith in that, because of how AMD has been marketing these cards. There was a fast response with the 48xx line if I remember correctly and it was literally half the die size or close to it to the competing cards.
Dont get me wrong, I am not saying it is the case, as I said above we are just speculating and nothing more.

Nintendo is using Nvidia Shield-like equipment setups.

Ok but... can I trust you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back