NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
First one to offer custom bootup/dashboard/tray sounds for $$$-only, can go die in a fire.

They said that for that level of scene quality, they would like 8GB of RAM. The actual demo used 1.8GB of textures squeezed into the GPU's 2GB memory, and they had some trouble to get it down to that size, and that 8GB of unified memory would be a big help, something like that.

It's too hard work to google it thanks to all the thousands of repeater-sites these days, so hopefully you've got enough to go on to find out the real deal, as this is all I can remember. ;)

SE should read sebbi's thread here on optimizing memory bandwidth and size :)

I wonder if anyone ever got around to translating the entire article though. I think only bits and pieces did.

Can't wait to see what 3-4GB of pure visual assets looks like though. Should be insane.

Can't wait to see what 3-4GB of pure visual assets looks like though. Should be insane.

Very much this! :LOL:

Just keep in mind that todays games run with 512MB and ~25GB/s. Now imagine what games can achieve with 3.5 GB @ 192GB/s, respectively 8GB @ 68 GB/s + 32MB SRAM.

I can't wait to see how the new Gran Turismo looks ...this is going to be sick!

The actual demo used 1.8GB of textures squeezed into the GPU's 2GB memory, and they had some trouble to get it down to that size, and that 8GB of unified memory would be a big help, something like that.

It might be worth to mention that the assets weren't optimized at all - for example the girl wearing boots had her toes modeled and textured as well. So maybe giving them 8GBs isn't the only possible approach ;)

It might be worth to mention that the assets weren't optimized at all - for example the girl wearing boots had her toes modeled and textured as well. So maybe giving them 8GBs isn't the only possible approach ;)

Yes, this is totally fair of course. Then again, perhaps if you want your characters to be able to change their clothes, you'd need to have some of this modeled, just not maybe always rendered. I'm sure there are smart solutions here, but I also think that there is room for asset cost reduction by not having to do this so much in the next gen.

But I'm sure we'll see all sorts of interesting stuff happening next-gen. Really looking forward to it, to be honest!

I think just having a lot more bandwidth is certainly not enough. Say that we have the same memory as this gen but with much more bandwidth, then for many types of games the actual assets aren't going to improve, just the effects you can process with them. Here, secondary memory (HDD, SSD, BluRay speed, etc.) is going to matter a lot. The more internal memory you have, the less the secondary memory is going to be an issue, because you can stream a lot of stuff into memory. And the reverse is also true - the faster something like SSD, the less RAM you need (comparatively).

one of the most intensive uses of the memory are moving data from and to the framebuffer, in engines that d.

Question for you if you can answer. In a typical PC GPU, how much of the traffic to the memory is writing by the GPU?

For example, if you can fit the entire frame buffer in the embedded RAM, is there anything you need to write back to the GPU memory? If not, I would imagine then the memory can almost be treated like read only buffer for streaming assets. I would imagine that would make the memory accesses a lot more efficient as well. I would also imagine that I'm completely wrong on this.

There are intermediate buffers for various effects or rendering methods, and streamout is possible from various places in the pipeline.

When asked about which would be the preferred option for games in terms of RAM, Timothy Lottes abswered this:

Timothy Lottes said:
A fast GDDR5 will be the desired option for developers. All the interesting cases for good anti-aliasing require a large amount of bandwidth and RAM. A tiny 32MB chunk of ESRAM will not fit that need even for forward rendering at 1080p. I think some developers could hit 1080p@60fps with the rumored Orbis specs even with good AA. My personal project is targeting 1080p@60fps with great AA on a 560ti which is a little slower than the rumored Orbis specs. There is no way my engine would hit that target on the rumored 720 specs. Ultimately on Orbis I guess devs target 1080p/30fps (with some motion blur) and leverage the lower latency OS stack and scan out at 60fps (double scan frames) to provide a really great lower-latency experience. Maybe the same title on 720 would render at 720p/30fps, and maybe Microsoft is dedicating a few CPU hardware threads to the GPU driver stack to remove the latency problem (assuming this is a "Windows" OS under the covers).

The atmosphere around next gen launch is worse than last time. Durango looks like it won't be even in the same class judging by some people opinion (some knowledge people that is) and I'm kinda leaning towards that side too.

I probably wouldn't if it had processing power to match, as I believe MS engineers would thought about system not getting bottlenecked so obviously. But, since compute performances are seriously lagging, I guess we are going to see one console getting beaten badly in that area and that won't be PS4.

When asked about which would be the preferred option for games in terms of RAM, Timothy Lottes abswered this:

the same person speaking of durango:

the developer just targets the box like it was a special DX11 "PC" with a few extra changes like hints for surfaces which should go in ESRAM, then on the next refresh hardware, all prior games just get better FPS or resolution or AA.

According to the way orbis is designed, wouldn't orbis be even easier to be backwards compatible by future iterations?

The atmosphere around next gen launch is worse than last time. Durango looks like it won't be even in the same class judging by some people opinion (some knowledge people that is) and I'm kinda leaning towards that side too.
I probably wouldn't if it had processing power to match, as I believe MS engineers would thought about system not getting bottlenecked so obviously. But, since compute performances are seriously lagging, I guess we are going to see one console getting beaten badly in that area and that won't be PS4.

If one of these vendors doesn't step up his game , Digital Foundry will be put out of business ...

There will always be a need for in depth analysis of the work of talented people pretty sure he'd be bored of head to heads anyway only fanboys really care about them.

Weeks ago it was like Durango > Orbis, and now it is like Orbis >>>> Durango... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back