NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think launching with Killzone is a very good idea. From the trailer and the description it looks different and yet retains some of the identity of previous ones. This will be a good opportunity to relaunch the franchise, especially if the game turns out to be very good.

Exactly. At launch it'll have little competition, and the game has a good chance of being the best looking PS4 game in the launch line-up. Both Resistance and Motorstorm did very well when the PS3 was released, even though their sequels couldn't always replicate their sales numbers. Being a PS4 launch game could give the Killzone franchise a nice boost.

They did much better when they packed them in for years. I expect Sony just wanted to share the love.

I don't give a damn about kz hopefully it won't be the pack in when I buy after the price drops.

Half the size and half the transistor count are two very different things.
SRAM has an extremely high transistor density. The comparison to an entire GPU doesn't make sense.

We already stimated 1,5 billion tranies for 32MB ESRAM.680 is 3,5.

Took a look and found 7770 to be at around 1.5 billion and 7850/7870 to be at around 2.8 billion transistors.

I think we'll see the GPU portion of Durango to be about the same size for the 32MB ESRAM.

In terms of silicon cost we may very well see Durango and Orbis to be literally be the same.

I just don't think the transistor count is a meaningful way of estimating the die area.
1T-SRAM is half the area of 6T-SRAM despite having 6 times less transistors.

32MB taking half the APU die area is simply inconceivable!

Transistor count demonstrates he can do math for 32MB of 6T-SRAM, dunno that it proves anything else, like even that it's in Durango.

It wouldn't be 1/2 the die even at gpu densities and SRAM should be much more dense.

<edit> I guess you might have meant 1/3rd of the die which would probably be about right for 1.5billion transistors at radeon7xxx density.

We already stimated 1,5 billion tranies for 32MB ESRAM.680 is 3,5.

I don't understand what you profit by using that much of a silicon budget for embedded ram aside from heat savings. I'm not a console engineer but it seems like MS rather than building a wheel, made a square wheel and built an intricate device to shave the corners so the square wheel was less bumpy. Then designed a special rubber material for their road to compensate for the rough ride. But the end result should be as smooth a ride as Sony's wheel.

I hope I'm wrong. I really want to see two monster consoles with great visuals. I have to believe they know what they're doing.

Transistor count demonstrates he can do math for 32MB of 6T-SRAM, dunno that it proves anything else, like even that it's in Durango.

It wouldn't be 1/2 the die even at gpu densities and SRAM should be much more dense.

<edit> I guess you might have meant 1/3rd of the die which would probably be about right for 1.5billion transistors at radeon7xxx density.

There are people in gaf with the latest MS specs doc.He suppossely has it.

I don't understand what you profit by using that much of a silicon budget for embedded ram aside from heat savings. I'm not a console engineer but it seems like MS rather than building a wheel, made a square wheel and built an intricate device to shave the corners so the square wheel was less bumpy. Then designed a special rubber material for their road to compensate for the rough ride. But the end result should be as smooth a ride as Sony's wheel.

I hope I'm wrong. I really want to see two monster consoles with great visuals. I have to believe they know what they're doing.

Computing at near 100% of efficiency and little tdp from the ESRAM part.On the other hand rendering processing will remain weak.Lets see the lighting solution for UE4, if its full computed based Durango may behave well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back