NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the CPU and GPU clocks are being potentially increased to 2.0 GHZ and 1.0 GHZ.

Even at 1.8 GHZ and 900 mhz it's a decent leap.

Going SSJ? Incredible if true.

One thing they mention is it's being fabbed at Globalfoundries. Aren't Jaguars made at TSMC? Though I don't think this rules anything out really in the case of semi custom APUs.

Wouldn't it have to be or could they be an uneven multiple of each other?

Just depends how they are implemented. Originally, I thought it would be simpler (and maybe more power efficient) to implement both from one common clock and just divide the GPU clock from the CPU. It certainly made sense since one was 1.6 GHz and the other 0.8 GHz, but that's not necessarily a requirement.

I don't understand what you profit by using that much of a silicon budget for embedded ram aside from heat savings. I'm not a console engineer but it seems like MS rather than building a wheel, made a square wheel and built an intricate device to shave the corners so the square wheel was less bumpy. Then designed a special rubber material for their road to compensate for the rough ride. But the end result should be as smooth a ride as Sony's wheel.

I hope I'm wrong. I really want to see two monster consoles with great visuals. I have to believe they know what they're doing.

They know what they're doing. I don't think Microsoft would get incompetent people who didn't know what they were doing to design their console for them. Even if there were strict limits placed on what could be done by the architects, the same people that were smart enough to decide to put 32MB of ESRAM on Durango (which I suspect will be considered a design win in the long run), would also be smart enough to consider the entirety of what they were getting with their design.

I don't see how this, for a console, can't be considered a monster. Is it simply because the PS4 looks more powerful in more easily marketable, bumper sticker terms? I had no idea, for example, there were so many ram experts until very recently. And if we're being fair, and honest, the 360 for its time wasn't considered a monster, either, particularly when it was directly compared to the PS3. It was always a monster in it's own right, but a lot of people became a lot more resistant to classify it as such in light of the PS3 power hype.

Remember when the PS3 was suppose to be powerful enough to dish out dual 1080p outputs? That came officially from Sony, and a lot of people ate it up. Durango, as the leaked specs suggest, is a lot stronger than people are giving it credit for. The GPU, for example, is surprisingly well served in the cache and bandwidth department, even more so than some of AMD's most powerful GPUs currently on the market. It's not unimportant to take a look at how many functional units the GPU has, but it's probably even more important to look at how well served the functional units that are present will be with respect to what's already out there, and it is in this regard that Durango should not be dismissed.

It seems like the CPU and GPU clocks are being potentially increased to 2.0 GHZ and 1.0 GHZ.

For syncing purpouses didnt the gpu clock need to be 2x the cpu?.What you say would have more sense that only increase the cpu clock.Our MikeR said 1,8

I think 1Ghz is doubtful, because they cannot do any binning and whatever doesn't pass the chosen clock is thrown away. If AMD is clocking their mainstream GPU at 860Mhz, it's pretty safe to assume that will be close to the limit Sony or MS can do without wasting chips like crazy.

...but I thought 8GB gddr5 was crazy and would never happen, so now anything goes :D

For syncing purpouses didnt the gpu clock need to be 2x the cpu?.What you say would have more sense that only increase the cpu clock.Our MikeR said 1,8

Huh 800 is to 1000 as 1600 is to 2000. Both would be a 25% increase over rumored specs. Not that I believe it.

A few days ago anyone sugesting thst ms can make changes like clock speed and ram amounts was knocked down with a myrad of reasins why. Now there is a rumor sony is going to increase clocks... I dunnk whats with all the double standards as of late

Maybe they are getting great yields.I think they were waiting for MS to decide clocks/redundancy, but as the MS conference is in April and they have to start stocking the final chips maybe they will go all-in without knowing what MS will have.Or they know MS will clock higher to counterattack and this is a response to that.Or, as they have to redesign the cooling solution and the case for the 8 GB they have spare termal space now to fill.

A few days ago anyone sugesting thst ms can make changes like clock speed and ram amounts was knocked down with a myrad of reasins why. Now there is a rumor sony is going to increase clocks... I dunnk whats with all the double standards as of late
Were there really people doubting changes to the clock speeds? I saw people doubting that MS would add more RAM simply because it wouldn't be very useful.

:nope:

I effectively believe MS will clock the gpu higher.

The preemptive PS4 reveal, the doubling of the RAM, and now possibly over-clocking the chips, it almost feels like Sony is reacting in advance to something they know about Durango.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back