NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://imgur.com/a/FS86x

Thoughts?

My first impression is this demo was kind of thrown together and Epic didn't have much time to really prepare it right.

From the interview and from past comments Epic seemed to be fairly surprised that the PS4 had 8GB of RAM, pointing to the 8GB RAM change was fairly recent.

They might not have been able to rework the demo to take advantage of that.

From the interview and from past comments Epic seemed to be fairly surprised that the PS4 had 8GB of RAM, pointing to the 8GB RAM change was fairly recent.

They might not have been able to rework the demo to take advantage of that.
Yes, they seem really surprised with the announcement.

What's even more surprising is that Epic's Mark Rein expects MS to respond to that in some way, as if he didn't know what the final hardware of Durango will be, which sounds odd to me.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/epics_mark_rein_holy_cow_at_ps4s_8gb_of_super_fast_ram_2.html

Epic's Mark Rein: 'Holy Cow' at PS4's 8GB of super fast RAM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't wait to see what Microsoft has in store to 'combat this'.

Epic Games co-founder and vice president Mark Rein has expressed his excitement about the PlayStation 4, in particular the somewhat surprising confirmation that the console will feature 8GB of GDDR5 memory.

"I really am excited," Tweeted Rein. "8GB of super-fast RAM - holy cow!"

Regarding the next Xbox, he added: "Can't wait to see what Microsoft has in store to combat this!"

Epic had earlier appeared at Sony's PS4 announcement to show off an Unreal Engine 4 demo.

A new version of the Elemental real-time demonstration running on PS4 was shown off, with the action picking up where the original demo ended.

The video features dynamic lighting and shadowing, real-time reflections, subsurface scattering and GPU-powered particle effects.

"We are thrilled to build onto our long-established success with PlayStation," said Tim Sweeney, Epic's founder and chief executive officer.

"Unreal Engine 4 is expertly designed for the next generation of game development and the outstanding power of PlayStation 4. Today's demonstration offers a preview of what developers can accomplish using our tools to create games for PlayStation 4."

Epic's Mark Rein expects MS to respond to that in some way, as if he didn't know what the final hardware of Durango will be[/URL]

funny, if epic did not know the final specs of durango, they can came here and ask to any user with less than 100 posts, those seems like to know everything, from final specs to who will win the long future "console war" :rolleyes:
they can't accept that we don't know the final numbers, and if say so, you're a biased sony's enemy.

Orbis is a very good machine and I like it so much, now wait to know what's durango
I believe that epic know the final specs, and if he say so, means that something change from old specs ;)

It's highly probable that it's finalized now. Keep in mind AMD's SoC designs are purportedly moving towards being interposer based which is what I think we're looking at for Durango. So it's no wonder specs have been static for ages because of the lead time and new packaging processes. The mobo is going to be tiny and I imagine the entire console will be too, saving on case and cooling costs. Definitely going to see a $299 sku, if not less than that with contracts/subs.

ND. Vgleaks team wrote to me that the next article will cover the durango's CPU, interesting

I wouldnt believe that vgleaks at all anymore. They got all the Infos from SuperDaE who already said that this specs are more than a Year old. And in the last days we got new rumors that some parts have changed.

So it's no wonder specs have been static for ages because of the lead time and new packaging processes.
This specs are static for ages because we dont have any recent docs about durango. All the infos about Durango are a Year Old.

I wouldnt believe that vgleaks at all anymore. They got all the Infos from SuperDaE who already said that this specs are more than a Year old. And in the last days we got new rumors that some parts have changed.

This specs are static for ages because we dont have any recent docs about durango. All the infos about Durango are a Year Old.

yes, almost a year, but if something was changed, i bet memory and/or gpu, not cpu, so I think that the article will be interesting

This kind of ridiculous rhetoric is getting on my nerves. MS sold 281k units of 8year old hardware at that price point in January in the US alone. Hardware that is some small fraction of the performance of durango.

Technical specs don't do much for most consumers (fanboy forum warriors excluded), if the games look close and one box is $100 cheaper, that will be a big deal.

Until you can prove the games on durango will look significantly worse, you, and others need to dial down the DOOMED rhetoric a few notches.

I agree. "Fanboy forum warriors" will pay just about any price and justify any shortcomings, in order to think of something as similar. Technical specs or features do not matter to these people.

I hope VGLeaks provide the leak for the Durango CPU, on Monday.

yes, almost a year, but if something was changed, i bet memory and/or gpu, not cpu, so I think that the article will be interesting

Bgassasin said that the CPU has changed and is twice the power of a vanilla jaguar cpu.
So who knows.
It gets interesting for sure :)

But Durangos version of this 8 core Jaguar could be stronger.

2x Jaguar you get a PS4 CPU.

Unless you can magically do twice the work with a modded Jaguar core or make it 16 cores (4 clusters) that's a bit far fetched.

I'm not even sure anybody would want to tweak with the Jaguar Core. AMD evolved it though a long time and I don't think Microsoft can come strolling along and suddenly redesign it to squeeze twice the performance.

Besides, if they do manage to squeeze twice the performance don't you think AMD would apply it to other designs and we'd be seeing hints at it by now?

A vanilla Jaguar cpu has 4 cores.

PS4 has 8 cores of Jaguar so they probably have the same exact CPU :smile:
I believe the argument was that each core was twice the vanilla jaguar core in perf. It's doable, and MS has a (short - n=1) history of customizing the FPU in their CPU, so I'd consider it "plausible". (This is one of those cases where I don't actually know, since it was an area I didn't really pay attention to when working there)

Vgleaks info on pd4 is about a month old and Sony still made last minute changes that even some first party devs did not know about according to Digital foundry and thuway. Not only did they upgrade, but it was something that most people were laughing at just the thought or mention of it.

Now, durango's info is about a year old and you guys really think nothing will change? I would be very surprised if that happens.

Ps4 sounds fantastic by the way. It does everything a person could want. I can't really think of any other features that could make it better, other then BC. Congratulations on Sony for a truly amazing presentation and excellent insight and business strategy. ERP must be very proud.

Now, let's say Durango specs remain the same ie, inferior. There is a couple of ways they can still compete. If they offer BC or forward compatibility, that will be a significant boost of interest. They can afford a lower price as well. There's also rumours that 720 games will work on pcs as well which would be another big point for microsoft if true. Win 8 OS compatible apps will help durango's too. There's plenty of things microsoft can do to be competitive. I hope it comes out strong so they force sony to remain free online plus the higher the lowest common denominator is, the better for us.

Vgleaks info on pd4 is about a month old and Sony still made last minute changes that even some first party devs did not know about according to Digital foundry and thuway. Not only did they upgrade, but it was something that most people were laughing at just the thought or mention of it.

Now, durango's info is about a year old and you guys really think nothing will change? I would be very surprised if that happens.

Ps4 sounds fantastic by the way. It does everything a person could want. I can't really think of any other features that could make it better, other then BC. Congratulations on Sony for a truly amazing presentation and excellent insight and business strategy. ERP must be very proud.

Now, let's say Durango specs remain the same ie, inferior. There is a couple of ways they can still compete. If they offer BC or forward compatibility, that will be a significant boost of interest. They can afford a lower price as well. There's also rumours that 720 games will work on pcs as well which would be another big point for microsoft if true. Win 8 OS compatible apps will help durango's too. There's plenty of things microsoft can do to be competitive. I hope it comes out strong so they force sony to remain free online plus the higher the lowest common denominator is, the better for us.

Going from 16 2Gb density GDDR5 chips in clamshell mode to 16 4Gb density GDDR5 chips does not require a design change at all.

Speculation mostly came from the pricing and availability of the chips and the lack of foresight that they might have already designed it with clamshell mode in the first place when it was rumored to be only 2GB (or 4GB).
A couple of days ago everyone thought they'd just do 8 4Gb density GDDR5s for 4GBs without clamshell. Under those circumstances, many though that going to 8GB would require clamshell mode and thus this would definitely mean a redesign of the PCB board.
Not very much people thought that they probably designed it for 16 1~2Gb density chips and just upped it to 16 4Gb density chips. In fact this didn't occur to me until like yesterday.

Either way going from 2GB to 4GB and even all the way up to 8GB doesn't pose a technical issue at all, nor an engineering issue. Giving it 4x the memory simply didn't require a redesign if they clamshell it from the start.

However, changing anything on the currently rumored Durango specs to meet up with Orbis specs do require a redesign on many parts. Doing such things will seriously mess up Microsoft's timetables and don't seem very plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back