NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
he risks 20+ years with a possible consecutive life sentence for selling two devkits NOT stolen and to have given us OLD specs
is that bad the justice in Australia or it's the USA pressure on them?
DMCA at least, I reckon.

he was on the point to leak the real name of the xbox next, last words he wrote to me is that I should buy durango and don't trust too much the comparison on internet forums and will be no graphic disappoint. now we have to wait official sources, that's all folks.
Sorry but you're just sounding pretty ridiculous here. Why not reserve any decision until after both boxes are announced and we see them? Why the obsession with trying to decide now whether Orbis or Durango? The whole specs thing is just out of curiosity. It's ridiculous that people are willing to break the law over stupid rumouring (in SuperDAE's case, his fifteen minutes of fame) and we all knew it - we were saying on the first devkit that he was no doubt breaking the law, and were surprised MS didn't do anything. Well now they have. Everyone in the console space needs to seriously chill. It's not a big competition or life-and-death struggle. It doesn't matter what they are or are not rumoured to be. In some months there'll be boxes sat on shelves for us to consider buying or avoiding, and everything leading up to that should be relaxed, contemplative beard stroking

And what is the evidence? That he seems to have old 720 specs and a dev system doesn't prove that he either broke any NDA with MS nor got them illegally in Australia. Don't know the story about Valve, Blizzard and co. though.

Actually it does. He either received the dev kit illegally or he broke NDA, or he has done an admiral job in faking one of those things. In any event he should have expected repercussions.

DMCA at least, I reckon.

Sorry but you're just sounding pretty ridiculous here. Why not reserve any decision until after both boxes are announced and we see them?

He told me so, but I never asked about the silly "orbis or durango" question, I'm not even sure to buy another console.
I just asked him if durango is that bad as the discussions says, he answered me with a gigantic "NO" and that i "should buy durango" (orbis was not even named, this is not a comparison as far as I understood)

Actually it does. He either received the dev kit illegally or he broke NDA, or he has done an admiral job in faking one of those things. In any event he should have expected repercussions.

20+ years in jail for this? seems like they want to build an example for anyone that could think to brake nda again

DMCA at least, I reckon.

Sorry but you're just sounding pretty ridiculous here. Why not reserve any decision until after both boxes are announced and we see them? Why the obsession with trying to decide now whether Orbis or Durango? The whole specs thing is just out of curiosity. It's ridiculous that people are willing to break the law over stupid rumouring (in SuperDAE's case, his fifteen minutes of fame) and we all knew it - we were saying on the first devkit that he was no doubt breaking the law, and were surprised MS didn't do anything. Well now they have. Everyone in the console space needs to seriously chill. It's not a big competition or life-and-death struggle. It doesn't matter what they are or are not rumoured to be. In some months there'll be boxes sat on shelves for us to consider buying or avoiding, and everything leading up to that should be relaxed, contemplative beard stroking

it is life and death for Sony...

You can break this chain easily. Transport insurance case + sale of the "lost" goods. Landlord/Court selling properties after a bankrupt/insolvency case. Then there is no NDA or contract violation involved. In such situations you can say good bye to any lofty agreements.

20+ years in jail for this? seems like they want to build an example for anyone that could think to brake nda again

I don't want to get into a discussion about the fairness of justice, I'm just saying he knowingly broke laws. No charges have been laid yet, so its a bit premature to say what message they want to send. Perhaps MS just wants to find the leak.

he risks 20+ years with a possible consecutive life sentence for selling two devkits NOT stolen and to have given us OLD specs
is that bad the justice in Australia or it's the USA pressure on them? anyway hardly anyone will give us accurate rumors, manuals, official pdf..

And what is the evidence? That he seems to have old 720 specs and a dev system doesn't prove that he either broke any NDA

Breaking NDA is not a criminal offence. This could not possibly have happened strictly because he broke the NDA. Now, I don't know exactly what charges are being considered, but the link says "suspected server breaches, multiple counts of unauthorized server access and misuse of a computer". This would imply that his source of information was hacking computers used by MS or Sony, or, more likely, the computers of some third-party dev with the data. (They generally take security *much* less seriously.)

Now, that is a criminal offense, with potentially very high punishment. As I understand, under Australian law how bad it is for you depends on how you have profited from it (and, as I understand, DaE has directly sold info to journalists for money), and how much damage it has done to your target (and, MS and Sony will try to claim millions because of this). In terms of charges that will be filed against him, he will be hit with pretty much the worst possible hacking charges that can be filed.

However, like most crimes, you very rarely end up being sentenced with everything that is raised against you. Going forward, he will likely either try to settle for some compensation + a few years (unless this is in Victoria, which doesn't do plea bargaining as far as I understand it), or, he will spend the time in trial trying to convince the court of how the gain he got and the damage he inflicted was so small that the extensive charges are ridiculous.

Either way, unless he does something monumentally stupid moving forwards, I don't see him sitting more than 5 years, and it could be much less than that. However, I do think he will likely end up doing some time.

everyone commenting about superdae should start there response with a list of there professional legal credentials, cause im guessing you're lawyers or solicitors with qualifications to comment..

no more leaks for kutaku and vgleaks...
and it's not an happy end for superdae

Dan ‏@superDaE
@blockeight FBI agent that flew in from the US. This raid was a result from the Aussie police kissing America's ass

Dan
‏@superDaE
@BenPeace91 Because its a laughing matter to have an FBI agent and 7-8 POLICE in your house.

http://www.thetechgame.com/News/article/sid=4125.html

Sony and Microsoft reacted

seems like that he have epic, blizzard and valve softwares too, now I can understand what he says about the graphic jump from 360 games to next gen games

I may be blind, and I am totally unsure about search warrants in Australia versus here in the U.S., but I find it odd that that search warrant doesn't show what court is issuing the warrant, jurisdiction, or even what precinct etc etc.

Breaking NDA is not a criminal offence. This could not possibly have happened strictly because he broke the NDA. Now, I don't know exactly what charges are being considered, but the link says "suspected server breaches, multiple counts of unauthorized server access and misuse of a computer". This would imply that his source of information was hacking computers used by MS or Sony, or, more likely, the computers of some third-party dev with the data. (They generally take security *much* less seriously.)

IMHO they are probably referring to the devkit itself (he was not authorized to have access to it).

Whether that would stand up in court is often not the point.

There was some photo with him and a Durango dev system others claimed to be real. It's highly unlikely he got access to a system by hacking:)

You can break this chain easily. Transport insurance case + sale of the "lost" goods. Landlord/Court selling properties after a bankrupt/insolvency case. Then there is no NDA or contract violation involved. In such situations you can say good bye to any lofty agreements.

That box will never stop being the property of MS. It will be labeled as their property. If the devs who had it went bankrupt, it is to be returned to MS.

Aah, that's where you're wrong. The fan design on the new macs is not cheap at all. I'd say Apple spent a ton of money getting there, and each fan is significantly more expensive than a normal PC fan. Also, they don't reduce the total audio energy being released, they actually increase it a little. What they do is spread that energy over a wide spectrum of frequencies, such that no single frequency has high DB. Once it did become audible, it would be impossible to remove. The Mac Mini uses an 85 watt power supply. Increase the wattage, and you have to increase the efficiency of the cooling solution, which will increase the noise.
Once again, really appreciate the response.

I think you might be referring to the MacBook Pro (retina) fans where the individual blades are spaced asymmetrically so that fan noise doesn't produce a fixed pitch. I have the 15" MBP and can testify this is indeed a neat trick that works well but to the best of my knowledge the MacMini does not have this. Having said that, I checked iFixit for spare MacMini fans and at $59 I concede the point! Equally fair point regarding the 85w PSU.

Yep, that's kinda what we use in the Kinect.
Expensive?

Laptop mics and your phone mics operate in single talk mode. When they detect you're talking, they mute the speakers. That's why you get the weird artifacts and cutoffs for phone conversations, and why, sometimes, with a loud enough speaker, the audio from the other side is energetic enough that it triggers the voice detection on your side and your speakers cut out.
I recall the effects you describe attributed to 'single talk mode' on other phones, I can't say I've noticed it on my phone but it definitely does not occur on my Mac where it's quite easy to for people to be talking at the same time.

No, it wasn't. It was a clean slate design collaboration with Sony, Toshiba, and IBM. They just used aspects of PPC to fill in as needed because there's no point reinventing the wheel.
It was a clean slate design that just happened to use the same POWER (G5) architecture, AltiVec instructions extensions and was able to run an almost vanilla version of PowerPC linux.

Wow.. that was one hell of a coincidence. :oops:

Cell was a PPE (PowerPC) core with additional instructions for controlling the SPE satellite processors - not to diminish the importance of the SPEs. To deny that Cell was a derivative architecture of PowerPC is to deny the sky is blue. Mostly.

In terms of charges that will be filed against him, he will be hit with pretty much the worst possible hacking charges that can be filed.
Yeah, because that's always what happens. You sure for 100 million and get 1 million. You prosecute for life imprisonment and get 5 years, serving 2 with good behaviour. But this isn't a law and justice thread and the SuperDAE situation can be dropped here. People need to start a new thread in RSPCA or Genreal Discussion if they want to talk about him.

everyone commenting about superdae should start there response with a list of there professional legal credentials, cause im guessing you're lawyers or solicitors with qualifications to comment..
And everyone posting in any technical thread needs to present their professional engineering or coding credentials, because you're only allowed an opinion if you've gone to college in a related subject. :rolleyes:

It was a clean slate design that just happened to use the same POWER (G5) architecture, AltiVec instructions extensions and was able to run an almost vanilla version of PowerPC linux.

Wow.. that was one hell of a coincidence. :oops:

Cell was a PPE (PowerPC) core with additional instructions for controlling the SPE satellite processors - not to diminish the importance of the SPEs. To deny that Cell was a derivative architecture of PowerPC is to deny the sky is blue. Mostly.
You seem to be confusing Cell with PPE. Cell is ring bus and SPEs, the SPEs having a completely new ISA that shares PowerPC ISA but was penciled on the back of a napkin or envelope or whatever it was.

Cell = SPEs, which is Ring bus, Local store, memory controller, processing architecture, etc. It needed a major CPU core so IBM stuck in a derivative design that they were already using rather than unnecessarily creating a new core from scratch, and it needed an ISA so IBM reused aspects of PPC. The processor as a whole was completely clean slate. The only reason you don't see that is you've diminshed the importance of SPEs to inconsequential, despite them being the whole reasoning behind Cell and the PPE just being the unimportant extra tagged on the end.

The evidence is pretty ample in this case, and rather obvious, a lot of its public even. Also the arrest warrant doesn't mention Valve, Blizzard or Epic.

Just microsoft and ebay / paypal.

Eh, the warrant doesn't mention Microsoft, Ebay or Paypal either. Unless you're privy to something that isn't at the linked site other than someone tweeting that it does. But the posted copy of the warrant certainly doesn't.

The only things blocked out are his address, the name of the Justice of the Peace and their signature.

[edit] Ah see where it does. It just notes that they are to search for anything related to Microsoft, Paypal and Ebay. But does not mention, obviously, what entity potentially instigated the probe. Most likely Sony and Microsoft have both petitioned to have him monitored. And as soon as he attempted to sell something on Ebay, that gave the Justice of the Peace (I'm assuming that is what JP means unless it's some other acronym for Judge down there) enough justifiable evidence to issue a search (but not arrest) warrant.

In other words, Microsoft didn't trigger the issuing of the warrant. SuperDAE did by attempting to sell a dev. kit. Both Sony and Microsoft likely asked the local police to keep an eye on him as he was potentially hacking into their systems or doing some other thing to attain information that was under NDA/classified. Up until that point the authorities didn't have enough evidence to warrant the issuance of a...well warrant. Otherwise, one would have come out much sooner than it did. It was, as mentioned, only when SuperDAE put up for sale physical evidence, that the warrant was forthcoming.

An arrest warrant won't come out unless the search produced enough evidence AND any affected parties (Sony, Microsoft, and the other mentioned software companies) decide to pursue that avenue of recourse.

Regards,
SB

There is a photo of a search warrant in there. Faking that is *heavily* criminal, and the prosecutors would absolutely chase you for it, and the courts would drop everything in the book, the book, and the table on you for it. It's literally bad enough that they would try to extradite you from halfway across the world for it. If that's fake, then someone will spend years in prison for the fun they had faking it.

Except that if you look at the warrant, you don't even know if it really was for him other than just his word that it was.

I'm not saying that it isn't, BTW, but nothing on that warrant that is readable identifies him as the subject. It could be a warrant for just about anyone. The only identifying piece of information (his address and phone number) is blocked out. He isn't even listed as a person to be searched for. IE - the warrant only pertains to the premises and not to any specific person.

So, no need to fake it. But it also doesn't mean that warrant was necessarily for him. Although until otherwise outed, I'm assuming it is.

Regards,
SB

Eh, the warrant doesn't mention Microsoft, Ebay or Paypal either. Unless you're privy to something that isn't at the linked site other than someone tweeting that it does. But the posted copy of the warrant certainly doesn't.

The only things blocked out are his address, the name of the Justice of the Peace and their signature.

Regards,
SB

that warrant is missing a lot of information....

like I said above, it's missing the state,county,jurisdiction, what court, etc etc...doesn't even say what precinct the officer that requested the warrant is from....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back