Next up: Shader Model 6.0

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by Kaotik, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

2. Alessio1989

Regular Newcomer

Direct3D X 12 graphics will be finally complete. No more reason to be interested - at least for me - in Vulkan & SPIR-V if this means finally DirectCompute will reach OpenCL and Cuda for the most important features.
    Also, I hope this will bring MSAA programmable sample points or something like that.
    Finally I have big hopes in templates and lambdas into HLSL.

3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Do lambdas mean something else in HLSL? Or are they still anonymous functions?

4. Alessio1989

Regular Newcomer

AFIK they should be anonymous functions as in C++ and any other C-like language, and I hope in HLSL the compiler will - when it is possible - to automatic inline/unroll those functions like in other language compilers... But I also admit, I find lambda syntactic-sugar pretty when not abused..

5. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

C++ lambdas are not quite (just) anonymous functions, they are proper objects (of unspecified type, but conceptually equivalent with a functor which may or may not be stateless depending on captures). The differences can be relevant, depending on context and usage pattern (e.g. the ease of unrolling).

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Thanks; so just to clarify when you refer to lambda unrolling you are referring to the assembly, as in what the compiler was able to unroll it to ?

7. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

Programmable Blending... wow thats good to hear. Wave level intrinsics. I'm impressed... was hoping for those in Vulkan but DX delivered instead.

8. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

That should have read as "inlining" and not "unrolling", but I crossed the streams in my mind. There are interactions between the ease of inlining some f() and the ease of automatically unrolling for (...) { f(); } but that's not what was in scope for that post of mine. Having said that, writing an automated unroller such as static_for<...>(...) is terribly nice in the presence of lambdas, imho, since it maintains locality of reasoning.

9. Alessio1989

Regular Newcomer