Some speculation on Next gen consoles :) Very Verbose!!!

DeanoC said:
pc999 said:
But I dont see here the HARDWORK from IBM to XB2 that DeanoC talked about some time ago.

Think about Faf's moan about SPU programming a little while ago on this very forums. Sometimes its the little things that are almost impossible to do...

Anyone think it is about this that DeanoC is talking

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21081

I dont understand this very wel but it is something about intruction limitation insid the SPU, Right ?

Anyway this make me remember that DeanoC in a old thread said that "better VMX units are on the way" (can anyone confirm this, I am not sure) even someone asked about Altivec 2. Again anyone think that should any close of this, VMX units that surpase SPU in some WAY :?: Could this be the hardwork from IBM?

I dont understand this very wel but it is something about intruction limitation insid the SPU, Right ?
Well it's about getting stuck with a different programming model.
In the end it's mainly a difference of notations - AoS usually feels more natural because it's closer to the math notation we all learned for the entirety of our formal education/school. SoA which SPU uses sort of turns the thing around by 90 degrees.
And while they are functionally equivalent, SoA is less common data orientation, which can add extra overhead/issues where you have to rotate your data around from one notation to the other because a different piece of hw or 3rd party libraries need it another way etc.

The reason I overreacted was because over last few months I've been doing some work with an instruction set a lot more advanced (as far as floating point math is concerned), on a machine a lot less advanced - so yes, I got spoiled :oops:

Josh378 said:
After reading some of those post on the GC board, I really don't see why Sony would need a PPU for PS3? I mean, if CELL is suppose to have the ability to act as a physics processor as well, it wouldn't make sense to add a PPU, especially one with less than half the transistors of CELL. Only way I cans see this is if the GPU of CELL was to be a PS or VS monster only and the CELL had to handle the VS and everything else, while the PPU would handle the physics.

If the Rumors are true, then the GPU of the PS3 should handle both PS and VS, freeing the CPU to do other tasks. Although, I'm not saying that a dedicated PPU wouldn't help the PS3. I just think that CELL should be handling the physics, since Sony said it was designed to handle massive physics..

-Josh378

edit: I may be wrong about this, but didn't IBM say that CELL is "scalable"...(stop me if I'm wrong with this)

What about a 2nd CELL with 1 PPC core and 4xSPU's with 128 XDR-ram as a dedicated physic processor at (3.0 ghz)...but what can I say? A man can dream right?

There are some various factors in play here as to why I and others think the PS3 would be at a disadvantage to the other consoles if they had PPUs and it didn't.

-the transistor count is not so relevant...it is how those transistors are spent.

Cells are general purpose a PPUs are not.
More instructions would have to executed on a Cell to achieve the same result with fewer instructions on the PPU.

-this is also relative to speed comparisons---i.e. comparing GPUs to CPUs

CPUs need to expend many many more cycles to get the same results compared to a part which is specialized to the task.

-Cell must perform other tasks often where a specialized part does not.

Cell must also handle AI, background tasks, keeping the SPEs busy, the supposed (the degree is only in question) acceleration of a software renderer, and also physics or physics based graphics (what this means?) etc. like sound maybe

A specialized part such as a PPU will only be put to task doing physics interactions.

it is not very reasonable to assume 125 million of the Cells transistor budget would be sequestered off or put to task for just physics on the norm. (ignoring the truth that transistor for transistor a Cell is not as efficient with physics calculations as a PPU would be)

-it will be a simpler task to get a PPU to do physics interactions than it would be to tell a Cell to do the same. Ease of use could adversely affect the Cells efficiency or rather potential made kinetic in comparison with respect to physics or any other task for which a dedicated part is used.

This is not to say the Cell cannot handle physics interactions or do it well. It can. It is putting the Cell into real world situations vs. ideal or synthetic positions.

------------------------------------------

If 2 Cells where in the PS3 with no PPU and the other systems where to have a PPU and something similar to the Xbox2 CPU in both then it would be fair to say the other two systems would be at a disadvantage in MANY areas possibly including physics which is not unfair to say.

The problem is this. Cell cost vs. PPU cost. I am highly skeptical that there is not a large disparity between the two. Sony would be much wiser to simply use a PPU. A second Cell is justifiable if they seek total world dominance...at a high price no doubt but not simply to combat a PPU in the other systems.

Complete technical dominance at a ridiculous price will net you a loss as the Neo Geo is a glaring example.

REMEMBER Josh as I remember you :) I post on the GCNGB but I do so objectively. I do not hate the Cell simply because Sony is involved with it. If you'll remember I've made many failed attempts to show that the Cell is a very robust processor and something to be reckoned with. I hate not simply because someone or something may be of a different persuasion than I. Please do not think I'm dissing the Cell at all. It's awesome, but not capable of doing all things...especially not all at the same time.

the problem is, we don't know how much CELL cost to create? For all we know, CELl could be $100 to make or $500.....until cost is revealed, I really couldn't see an estimate on what Sony could or could not do in hardware technology for CELL...

This also is in conjuction to Xenon, IF they support a PPU.

We'll see at E3...

-Josh378

pegisys said:
BOOMEXPLODE said:
This article has some good information on the AGEIA PPU. 125 million transistors, 130nm fabbed at TSMC, uses GDDR3 memory.

I have to point out though that only the software/middleware aspect of the AGEIA technology is going into Xenon as far as we know. Having a dedicated PPU to go along with that is an assumption some have made; erroneously I believe.

why would they use the software/middleware for the console maybe if it was used for a game they are making for it but I can't think of anything else. if they did use the software and make it mandatory it would drive out any other 3rd party physics engine makers from doing anything on the console, which could cut out on some cross platform games if developers wanted to use a different physics engine or write there own.

my biggest concern is with nintendo and most likely sony having free internet play are they still going to charge for xboxlive or is there going to be something they have that the others wont that will make it worth it

MS will still charge for Xbox2 Live and I'm sure they'll make every effort to justify making people pay for it be they of substance or not.

I also sure devs are salivating over using some of the new features to suck more money out of gamers too, but they also realize it must be something worth paying for.

Some of the new features are worrisome to me though.

I am curious to know how devs will be compensated for online content if the users will not pay for it by making the plans free for them. I suspect if Sony or Nintendo do not compensate them...their support and or quality of will diminish and that is my concern.

Josh378 said:
the problem is, we don't know how much CELL cost to create? For all we know, CELl could be $100 to make or $500.....until cost is revealed, I really couldn't see an estimate on what Sony could or could not do in hardware technology for CELL...

This also is in conjuction to Xenon, IF they support a PPU.

We'll see at E3...

-Josh378

Virtually every estimate and out there states that Cells will be expensive at least initially. If I'm not mistaken those involved have said so as well.

I expect both the Cell and Xbox2's CPU not be be cheap in the near term nor comparative in price to a PPU for quite some time. Given the leap the PPU presents it will be a long time before more specialized processing of this type is required IMO. That many objects on screen would more than test the limits of perception and comprehension if any one of 30,000 plus "notable" objects begs for particular attention of any sort.

This is not true of graphics for sure nor AI but at least in the case of AI...we don't want it to get THAT good.

Of course you're right as to whether any of this is on spot or off as we will all have to wait until E3.

...but where's the fun in that :devilish:

In that case:

A 8:1 Cell and a 4:1 Cell would be awesome...but the RAM cost would kill it (384 MB of XDR-RAM just for those two CPU's alone would be nice...and expensive).

Also, lets say Sony does agree to a PPU as well...thats just plain scary. A 100% FULL embodied freed CELL to do anything it wants to do would be just plain...scary...

-Josh378

Josh378 said:
In that case:

A 8:1 Cell and a 4:1 Cell would be awesome...but the RAM cost would kill it (384 MB of XDR-RAM just for those two CPU's alone would be nice...and expensive).

Also, lets say Sony does agree to a PPU as well...thats just plain scary. A 100% FULL embodied freed CELL to do anything it wants to do would be just plain...scary...

-Josh378

It would be a big pond to cast your rod into that's for sure although the Cell would still be tasked to other ends.

I would think a low entry PPU would be sufficient for any of the next gen consoles.

A question in the back of mind is...is with a GPU and PPU present...what the heck would you do with all the floating point power just lying around?

As suggested in this thread "exotic" things would be handled by the Cell and those being of the rendering type, physics type etc are what would make the PS3...just scary.

Quite scary indeed.

blakjedi said:
pc999 said:
Again anyone think that should any close of this, VMX units that surpase SPU in some WAY :?: Could this be the hardwork from IBM?

I think this may be in XeCPU...

Or at least in one of them ;)

PS/OT: I missed a "be" in the quote

Josh378 said:
a Low entry PPU? IS this the same 125 transistor one or somthing else?

-Josh378

No. I am thinking rather simply (things scale linearly which may not be so true). It is a reduced version of the PPU.

This would be sufficient and help with the memory pool constraints consoles face.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread. In essence I'm thinking of something like half a PPU or something similar.

If the 125 mil PPU can handle 30,000 plus interactable physical objects a lesser PPU that could handle 15,000 or so is more than acceptable in a console.

As I mentioned earlier there is a point when all the objects whirling around will go beyond human comprehension and perception. It's not unreasonable to assume 15,000 objects is approaching or beyond that limit. There is not speaking to more complex interactions though the would still benefit from a stronger PPU to be clear.

Also there is only so much you can display at 720p and 1080i I would still regard as something of a treat.

Let me be more succinct (oh the irony!). A cheaper PPU that's up to the task that you would need to dedicate less memory and power to to reap it's benefits.

It would still be quite beneficial. It has been noted many many times that a single core CPUs today can can handle something from 40 to 150 or so interactble objects on screen depending on the types of interactions and conditions. If things scale linearly a triple core CPU would be able to handle 120 to 450 physically interactble objects. This is nothing compared to a PPU able to handle 15,000 plus such objects and probably not enough to handle intense physical interactions, fluid dynamics, hair and cloth simulations etc simultaneously. I can't directly correlate this to the Cell as there are no numbers with respect to how many objects a single SPE in the Cell could handle. But hey...let's be generous...let's speculation it could 1000 objects (per Cell processor) if it did nothing but physics interactions (which is completely improbable within the PS3) it could handle 1000 such objects...let's get crazy...2000. The disparity is grossly apparent and the same logic would still apply.

I think a PPU of this caliber would be sufficient for aesthetic usage of physics and in the case that all consoles had a PPU would still probably be well enough for physics related to gameplay.

PC games are traditionally more ambitious...there must be a reason to compel even those with money to spend it.

Back