Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DavidGraham, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I'm sure it'll still be vastly superior than current mid gen consoles overall but the point being it might not be so competitive to the other console which could lead to crappy multiplat ports, low next gen baseline etc. Hardware raytracing could do more harm than good I fear.

2. fehu

Veteran Regular

Yes

HBRU and Cuthalu like this.
  3. Pinstripe

Newcomer

Perhaps the re-tooling to 7nm+ isn't as simple? They'd probably have to start mass producing the SoCs early next year, and AMD hasn't had a 7nm+ design ready for tape-out yet?

What if Sony wants to go down that path this time?

HBRU likes this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

i'm fairly confident they'll be the same. I'd be shocked if we saw a dramatic difference in performance, because that would lead to a dramatic difference in price.

just curious, but if RT an enabler of producing better visual quality. What is the concern?

5. KeanuReeves

Newcomer

Fehu did make a point about it having a very low power mode which is the exact thing Sony has said publicly about the "PS5" being a very green console compared to PS4.

PSman1700 likes this.
  6. KeanuReeves

Newcomer

We know that RDNA had 2xIPC over GCN no? I was under the assumption that while the FLOP count wouldn't see that big of an increase, the effective performance would be very significant. This was around the time everyone said that RDNA was just GCN again so consensus may have moved since.

Pinstripe likes this.
  7. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

That would be my hope. I think I would prefer a ~7TF GPU plus parallel RT capability over a ~10 TF GPU. I think RT has the potential to noticeably change visuals.

Given then power consumption numbers of the Navi boards, this spec isn't that unrealistic.

HBRU likes this.
  8. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

RDR2 is 4K native with 6 tf because it's a game (assets, polygon budget, lighting etc.) designed to run on a 1.3 tfops machine.

novcze likes this.
  9. goonergaz

Veteran

All previous PS rechargeable controllers recharged with off the shelf cables...just seems an odd thing to mention "it also does what their last 2 generation controllers did". I took it that 'whilst the controller is an evolution of the current one it also has rechargeable batteries'.

Yeah, it's not like MS will have a low power mode.

I dunno, probably wrong as always...just seems to easy to say it's PS5 to me.

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

lol; i guess if there was a way to recharge a controller without a cable would have people much more excited. Wireless tech is available. The console would need to provide wireless charging somehow.

11. goonergaz

Veteran

Wireless docking station would be awesome, I don't mind the PS4 one I have but the Xbox one (by same company) is utter trash.

12. DavidGraham

Veteran

RDNA flops are different than GCN flops, they are akin to NVIDIA flops now, so a 7TF RDNA2 or RDNA 1 GPU will be significantly faster than a 6TF GCN GPU.
    Because it's a shared system for both the CPU and the GPU? An 8 core Ryzen CPU squeezed to the max is quite demanding on memory. Even the lowly Jaguar had memory contention problems when running along side a medium end GCN1 GPU on a wide memory bus.

HBRU likes this.
  13. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

On the flip side of the discussion you can't be wrong whether you guess MS or Sony. Chances are, if this spec is accurate, 90% of it will be shared between the two.

goonergaz likes this.
  14. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

What would they have to re-tool? It's a new SoC.

Zen 3 and RDNA 2 are confirmed to be N7+, both releasing in 2020.
    And why would they need to mass produce the new SoCs early next year, if the consoles are only releasing during the holidays?

15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

If you're Zen 2 declared though, aren't you locked to 7nm unless you had them redesign it for N7+? Perhaps that's for a future reduction? or skip n7+ and release on the next node following?

16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

@anexanhume posted this;

hmm. that's is curious AF. So their solution is AMD then. We can rule out another vendor.
    But I would find it very curious that AMD would allow MS to just bob ahead and say hey we got hardware RT at E3 but Sony wasn't allowed to say so until months after MS. Unless of course there are marketing provisions in place or if MS is not using AMD's solution.

PSman1700, Shortbread and TheAlSpark like this.
  17. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

18. Pinstripe

Newcomer

It's still Zen2/RNDA~1ish architecture though. I don't think AMD has anything 7nm+ ready until Zen3/RDNA2.

Assembling, Logistics, QA, Marketing, Building up massive stock. Etc. Takes an awful lot of time, and the SOCs need to ready for the whole pipeline.

19. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

We have rumors about PS5 Pro recently.

If PS5 Pro is a faster console with 11~12TF GPU then the above specs become very interesting. Because PS5 and PS5 Pro may have the same memory system with different bandwidth. PS5 Pro may have 800GB/s while PS5 may be around 600GB/s.

20. Miniature Kaiju

Newcomer

Sounds just like something Microsoft would do, honestly. LMAO.

McHuj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.