Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: lol beaten by 1 min

Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg

So verified Era insider hmqgg was wrong...hmm

In any case, I am 100% Sony is using RDNA2 as well, and Ariel was likely a chip based on Navi 10 made as BC testbed while Oberon, a chip featuring VRS and RT, was getting ready.

Phil Spencer said:
At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I’m proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3.

Your move, Jim.

Last edited:
In the writeup they call it their "patented form of VRS." I wonder how it'll differ from RDNA2 VRS.

Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.

Raytraced audio:

Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.

Backwards Compatibility:

Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.

Single-purchase cross-gen support:

Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

What would be the difference between "custom" RDNA2 and RDNA2?

The word "custom" in the tweet might be referring to the chip in general.

In the press release this is how they word it:

"Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures."

Nice, the fast SSD and the CPU is still the most important part for me since it should allow for better/new gameplay elements, but I'm positively surprised about the powerful GPU. As a pessimist I was expecting them to twist RDNA TF in relation to GCN TF or some other shenanigans, instead of actually delivering double XBX power (in addition to Navis architecture improvements).

Leather jacket Jensen Huang probably as well since the XSX sits easily between 2080 and 2080ti.

jensen.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back