Next-Gen Product Names? [2019 Edition]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, May 27, 2019.

1. turkey

Regular Newcomer

I think the reception to the S is you very much want to shape it like a box, but let a leading design team do it and not some engineering team.

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Which is a shame as I still prefer the quieter original XBO design, just because it's quieter in operation. Since I never use optical disks anymore, when I did use it, it was blissfully quiet for the most part.

Regards,
    SB

egoless likes this.
  3. turkey

Regular Newcomer

I did not notice a sound difference when I went from day one edition to S and then to X although I can feel far more air being pushed by the X. Once it's a year old I will replace the thermal paste on it tho, as the stock paste seems sub par compared to the cooling hardware.

My launch console spent a week ore more with a laptop laying over the top blocking the vents to no I'll effect, quite amazing at keeping cool and quite.

I thought folks said the power supply was noisy on that model? Mine was buried under the AV cabinet so never noticed but I am sure it bugged some and not just because it existed although I suspect that was partly it.

egoless likes this.
  4. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Sony: Playboy
    Microsoft: XXX
    Nintendo: NSFW

egoless, milk, iroboto and 1 other person like this.
  5. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Fixed. :rolleyes::mrgreen:

eloyc likes this.
  6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's a possibility, but an expensive one...

XBox is quite a strong brand, even if people don't buy it. Changing name means losing that association, and the only brand association left is Microsoft. Whatever they release, it'll be 'Microsoft Something'. People wondering what this new thing is will know at least that it's 'Microsoft' and that, IMHO, is not a good thing. ;) I think that introduces a barrier to acceptance. As 'XBox' is quite strong (well, not internationally per se, but it's known due to the last 25 years of game covering it, and like the hero in a sports movie that keeps getting back up, XBox has won respect even if it doesn't win anything), XBox Gameo launches with some street-cred where Microsoft Gameo doesn't.

I agree the XBox name could go, but it's hard to weigh up the cost of good will lost in the transition.

milk and Shortbread like this.
  7. Pixel

Regular

Yes, but I was being sarcastic :-D
    Everybody in this thread is making joke names, so why not join in?
    Also think of the possibilities of having an Xsphere2, they could collaborate with EA's FIFA give it a soccer skin and let kids kick it around the soccer field. Just make sure to remind them to not trip over the 300ft extension cord.

#67 Pixel, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    London-boy likes this.
  8. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Sorry, went over my head and jumped on the pre coffee soapbox :rolleyes:

9. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I think the One X shows they nailed it.

Barrabas and turkey like this.
  10. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Seem unlikely that they'd ditch the Xbox name, as it's still so edgy. If they wanted to go even more futuristic and edgy:

Anaconda: The Matrix
    Lockhart: The Don Mattrick

egoless likes this.
  11. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Xbox 10. There are only 10 types of people who understand. yada yada etc etc. :rolleyes:

egoless and turkey like this.
  12. Barrabas

Newcomer

FlexBox? Think about the advertising "Microsoft is flexing muscles with the power of the new gaming console!!"

13. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The quality control on the fan was a bit hit or miss IIRC. A friend of mine had one where either something was wrong with the bearings or the fan had a defect which unbalanced it in operation, but it made a god awful racket after about 3-4 weeks. He got it replaced under warranty and the second one was far better.

Mine and most of the few other friends I had that got one didn't have any such problems with ours. In the open it made a slight bit of noise, but behind our AV cabinets none of us could hear them.

Regards,
    SB

turkey likes this.