Next-Gen Product Names? [2019 Edition]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, May 27, 2019.

1. dobwal

Veteran

LOL. I hope MS calls it’s new consoles the Xbox 6. Disrupting the console universe, causing Sony fits and so we get names like the “PlayStation 720” or “PlayStation Uno”.

2. Pixel

Regular

Those bastards stole my idea from back in 2014! I want my royalty!

From 2014:

#42 Pixel, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

You aren't thinking far enough ahead. ;) To align their product message they'd call it Xbox 10. All future consoles will be termed "Content Updates" or perhaps "Hardware Updates" to align with Windows 10 updates with similar naming schemes.

Regards,
    SB

dobwal, egoless, AzBat and 1 other person like this.
  4. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

10 is twice as big as 5 -> Xbox 10 is twice as fast as PS5. LOL

Tommy McClain

5. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Anaconda: XBox Prime X
    Lockhart: XBox Prime S

You can send me a cheque now MS.

McHuj likes this.
  6. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Can be improved:
    Anaconda: XBox Optimus Prime
    Lockhart: XBox Rodimus Prime

egoless and AzBat like this.
  7. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Most of those names are too verbose. They should either re-boot the name:

MES for Microsoft Entertainment System or XMES for DirectX MES

Or boldly retaking the real name, the one I'd prefer:

Xbox 4. With XBX they could even call it Xbox 5 and people wouldn't mind.

But first they really should ditch the 'One' word. I never liked it.

8. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Will Microsoft want to keep the Xbox One branding?

It's not been the best generation, a slow akward start but I think they are finishing strongly as a brand, the X has helped I would think even if people don't have it they probably know of it (thoes who care about hardware that is)

They have always talked about Xbox One as a family, for device and game comparability, with BC being such a pillar we can assume safely enough that Xbox One titles will play as they do now.

Will they keep Xbox One as the base similar to Windows 10 being a constant and the build changing and just iterate on thr S/X, both of which I think are now good brands and away from the old betamax box they launched.

Xbox One S2
    Xbox One X2

I think the mission to stay in HDMI port 1 is still there and I think Xbox One is nice, and as it's written and not a digit it's a name not number branding wise .

We don't know the nature of the two SKU yet which might change how they will to position them but the cheaper sleek S2 and the more powerful X2 seem like things the average consumer would get as the newer model, and it still shows you can expect everything from Xbox One to work to reassure more casual gamers.

egoless likes this.
  9. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Too long and kids might get it confused and accidentally call Lockhart the Optimus, we don't want that now do we ;)?

10. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Good point!

Lochhart: Xbox Wheelie?

ultragpu likes this.
  11. Deviousb33r

Regular

I agree with Glob. Just call it Xbox 4 or Xbox 5 and be done with it.

Sure you'll have the usual hot takes on the name, but people did that when they announced the Xbox 360 and Xbox One. They'll get over it and eventually accept it.

milk likes this.
  12. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

With their focus on cloud I wouldn't be surprised they call it Xbox 365.

egoless, turkey, Pixel and 3 others like this.
  13. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Seriously, Microsoft should consider renaming their system this generation (dropping Xbox). Start fresh. Nintendo for the most part has been successful at rebranding their systems when it suited their needs. Heck, the people that I'm around never say Xbox 360 or Xbox One, it’s usually just 360 or One.

14. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

I’m still always a little confused of the current xbox name. I have to think, is the base console called Xbox X or Xbox One, of course it doesn’t take but a few seconds to figure out, but still... it just doesn’t come naturally like PS4 or Switch.
    Now that they went back to 1, maybe for next Xbox... xbox²

egoless and AlBran like this.
  15. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Really? I thought it was just more usually 'XBox'. The advantage Nintendo has with new box names is their own brand - you buy Nintendo, and even play Nintendo. No-one's going to want to buy a Microsoft Thing on the strength of it being Microsoft.

rabidrabbit likes this.
  16. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

It goes both ways, but most often it’s either 360 or One.

Well, yes and no. Yes, Nintendo’s name carries weight among its core gamers whom specifically purchase anything Nintendo. No, Nintendo’s name alone doesn’t guarantee the levels of consumer sales (user-base) witnessed by Wii or Switch. When I made the comment “Nintendo is successful at rebranding their systems,” it was in reference towards them bouncing back from prior/poor generational sales (i.e., GameCube, WiiU, N64, etc.).

I purchased many Microsoft products (i.e., Surface, defunct Zune, Xbox, Gamepads, etc.) on the history and strength of the company as a whole. IMHO, Microsoft name is well enough established on carrying a renamed or rebranded Xbox product line.

#56 Shortbread, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Let me rephrase that to the majority of people aren't going to buy an MS device on the strength of the MS name then. ;) In the UK brand strength index, where PS is 3rd, Nintendo 11th, Sony 15th, and XBox 17th, Microsoft is ranked 32nd. My personal history is, like many, a lot of years of buggy OSes, leading expectations of their first console to be the BSODBox. :p Most recently, their well-regarded Surface Pro 4 that I bought is just a bit crap overall - okay hardware but plenty of things wrong and niggles. Even now, there are ghastly experiences like MS's acquisition of Skype and making it shite. The only killer hardware I can associate with MS, clearly popular, is the 360. And their mice and joysticks. It's just not a name that smacks of 'great devices' or 'killer products'. It's a huge name associated with Windows and Office, and computing in general.

Maybe in the US it's different? I can't see any box getting people excited thanks to it being labelled MS though (certainly not in the international market). Like XBox, any new brand will need a massive marketing campaign to establish the brand. Contrast that with Apple who will get people interested in anything if it's labelled Apple. And Nintendo - in that brand survey, it was the company itself rather than the hardware brand, unlike MS and Sony who's consoles are branded stronger than the companies.

#57 Shifty Geezer, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    DSoup and BRiT like this.
  18. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

This I know... so no argument there.

I didn't state such (naming it simply Microsoft), not at all. I stated, Microsoft should consider renaming/rebranding the Xbox line. Dropping the Xbox name in favor of something more appealing towards a new generation.

#58 Shortbread, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  19. milk

Veteran Regular

Of course if they rebranded xbox, it would not be just into MicrosoftBox™. It would be something completely new like Gameo or Spyree or Playdoopedy-doo or Interacto Thingie. They'd create a new brand.
    Though I think XBox is not a great name for a mainstream brand, it's probably too late to drop it now, or, the brand is still popular enough to not be worth dropping. I consider anything non XBox very unlikely.

AzBat and iroboto like this.
  20. Pixel

Regular

I hope MS learned this generation that you don't need to shape it like a box.
    XMobiusStrip2
    Xsphere2 (mobile version you can roll around like a soccerball)