Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

8MP sensor using 2µm pixels with OIS would be a blast.
Theoretically, it would take large enough pictures for any screen and have enough pixels for 2K video recording.

That apple didn't increase the screen size of their phones purely because they wanted to stick with the title of trend-setter instead of trend-follower for as long as they could - and not because of some engineering genius based around thumb-range that would otherwise "alienate half their potential customers".
That's a false dichotomy. Screen size is a trade-off.

While I like the screen size of my Moto G compared to the iPhone 4 I had before, I also have to say that one-handed use has definitely suffered. Of course the different OS and thus UI might be a contributing factor.

Theoretically, it would take large enough pictures for any screen and have enough pixels for 2K video recording.

Don't think this is possible with current lenses. The lens required to accommodate a sensor that large would make the phone too thick by modern standards.

Meh, pixels-smixels.

An 8mp camera ought to be plenty high enough resolution on a phone, especially considering the size limitations of the lens.

It's great for cropping pictures (especially people/faces) out of images without perceivable loss of quality.

Cheers

I'm hoping for 12 MP some day with a 4K 16:9 mode. But I don't see Apple jumping on the 4K video wagon just now. As some rumours indicated, everythings points to 8 MP with again larger pixels and OIS.

I'm hoping for 12 MP some day with a 4K 16:9 mode. But I don't see Apple jumping on the 4K video wagon just now. As some rumours indicated, everythings points to 8 MP with again larger pixels and OIS.

I'm puzzled by this. No sensor in the world is 16:9. Why not just take the normal aspect ratio and crop to 16:9?

I recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 630; It has a 4.5" screen and I think it's great.
I'm not a fan of the 5"+ phones either, my brother has an S4 and it's much too big.

Apple have made the right call with 4.7".

How have they made the right call while Samsung apparently made the wrong one with the size of he S4 if the iPhone 6 is physically larger than the S4 in every dimension other than thickness?

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5371&idPhone2=6378

Yes, I know that's not final, but it's very likely at this stage.

Compared to most modern phones, iPhones have never made very good use of their physical dimensions. I would personally like more phones with a screen:body ratio closer to the LG G2/G3, Galaxy S4.

If this is legit, clocks are kept low and the architectural CPU improvements are roughly 10% at the same clock. Which is quite good! And should keep CPU power draw low at the new process node.
Of course, it begs the question what Apple chose to spend their increased transistor budget on. GX6650 perhaps?
The RAM chip on the leaked A8 package shots suggested they are still using 2x32-bit LPDDR3-1600. If they don't have more memory bandwidth, maybe they put in a lot of L3 cache that can also be used by the GPU. Say 16 MB or more?

How have they made the right call while Samsung apparently made the wrong one with the size of he S4 if the iPhone 6 is physically larger than the S4 in every dimension other than thickness?

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5371&idPhone2=6378

Yes, I know that's not final, but it's very likely at this stage.

Compared to most modern phones, iPhones have never made very good use of their physical dimensions. I would personally like more phones with a screen:body ratio closer to the LG G2/G3, Galaxy S4.
At one point I was hoping they'd get rid of the home button, but with Touch ID bringing added functionality that looks to be getting even more important with future plans on payments they can't get rid of it or shrink it much. Between the home button and presumably a preference for symmetric bezels, Apple seems to be at a permanent disadvantage in screen:body ratio.

It's great for cropping pictures (especially people/faces) out of images without perceivable loss of quality.

Cheers

In anything but good lighting conditions, you'll have a clear loss of quality regardless. I find that personally, the times I use the camera on my phone tend to be in poorer lighting conditions where noise will be the problem, not resolution. Larger pixels means less noise and therefore (theoretically at least), higher-quality in more 'difficult' shooting situations.

A bit of a corner case, anyway. How often do people actively bother to crop their cameraphone images in a situation where they are going to be printed out?

I expect there will be some other improvements in the lens/sensor over the camera in the 5s which is already very good. OIS could be handy as well.

I'd imagine they'll go big on quality for the front-facing camera with the prevalence of 'selfies' these days. Possibly a fast f1.8 aperture and higher-res camera on the front?

eKxdySo.jpg

FNJtokP.jpg

I've started a new thread for the new products and A8 chat.

In anything but good lighting conditions, you'll have a clear loss of quality regardless. I find that personally, the times I use the camera on my phone tend to be in poorer lighting conditions where noise will be the problem, not resolution. Larger pixels means less noise and therefore (theoretically at least), higher-quality in more 'difficult' shooting situations.

I'd say the aggregate size of the sensor determines overall light sensitivity. My Lumia 930 has excellent low light capabilities, - at least compared to iPhons 5s, LG G3 and Samsung S4.

A bit of a corner case, anyway. How often do people actively bother to crop their cameraphone images in a situation where they are going to be printed out?

How often do people bother to print out the images the shoot on the phone. 99% of my images stay digital. 20-25 % are shared with family, 10% with friends (primarily Facebook). Most of these are cropped first.

I expect there will be some other improvements in the lens/sensor over the camera in the 5s which is already very good. OIS could be handy as well.

I'd rate OIS as the most important improvement; OIS improves low light performance too because it allows longer shutter times without turning the image into a blurry mess. It's fairly costly though.

Cheers

It's a bit irksome yes, but most people probably stick their phone in a case anyway, and then the bulge disappears. I always preferred the completely flat iphones of the past, that was beauty to me. I don't need THAT thin a phone really. Not any thinner than the iP5 series anyway, the 4 was a little chunky in comparison tho.

The standard 6 looks like a good one for me. I'm probably going to get it as a christmas present, so hopefully not even a first batch, that'd iron out any initial problems.

4,7" sounds like a good size for me, I've always had trouble typing on the 3,5" screen of the 4S and the readability on websites and apps were a bit too small for me too. I trust Apple to move away functionality from the top left on iOS8 to accommodate for people with smaller hands as well so it will hopefully be a good size for me.

Feature wise it's a bit better than the 5s which I've already liked on paper. The new design is still a bit mixed but I expect we'll all grow to like it in time. Extended battery time and NFC and M8 are all welcome additions for me. All in all I'm content with the new phone.

Now the watch... I can't really understand them. It's already limited from the start to iPhone users and they're not going to manage to reach a market penetration higher than 25-33% even with a lot of optimism. It's got a nice GUI and the sensors seem to be cool but it's a clumsy piece of hardware at a very high price and most of the extended functionality is meaningless and possibly even useless.
Then again the 18 carat gold version is probably going to sell well in Eastern Europe, Russia and such territories... but it's a fraction of the US market. Rappers maybe?*

*No offense intended!

Rappers maybe?*

*No offense intended!

No, Rappers would want high end watches, not commodity smart watches. Prestige is far more important.

From what I saw its a terrible watch. Looks like it was built from the ground up for personal monitoring and watch capabilities as a distant 2nd. I also noticed they didn't want to give out battery life info because I can imagine it not lasting long.

I really thought Apple wouldn't do the smart watch... but here we are. I guess they are hurting for that next "change the world" device everyone is going to want/need. But honestly, if I HAVE to have the phone on me why would I torture myself navigating that tiny screen when I can just use my phone?

The smartwatch hits that point where portability and usability annihilate each other.

Back