Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

Yup, I've never paid for anything on the App. Store, just free games, though some were one-day giveaways.

So they sync to my iPhone and then I borrowed an iPad to check it out and I went ahead and sync'd everything that I had in my iTunes.

App. purchases are per account, not per device. Of course, some of those apps. may not work well or at all on some devices.

Starting using the built-in voice recognition for dialing numbers in my contacts list and surprised that it works so well without any voice training whatsoever. I can also instantly play songs by specific artists using voice control which is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded "Epic Citadel" and ran it on my iPhone4.
Wow.
I haven't been as awed by a graphics presentation since possibly the Silicon Graphics virtual cave.
Between this and Carmacks Rage demo, I can't help feeling that hand held graphics has reached a stage where it can not only compete in visual experience, but will at some point sooner than you might think simply replace other stationary/portable graphics.

apple tv sounds pretty crappy stuck at 720p . Dunno if this is the thread to discuss it but it is about apple stuff.

Also the new ipod nano looks to small to atually control anything with adult size fingers

Yeah I'm disappointed that ATV is only 720p but apparently, 1080p streaming just isn't possible now.

Still, I wonder if the A4 can do 1080p, because it would be useful for streaming slide shows to the big screen. Or maybe transcoding Blu-Ray rips and streaming those.

That Project Sword game looked good. This is the first I've heard that Unreal Engine is coming for iOS or any mobile OS.

Typical Apple crock, 1080p streaming is possible and doable now. It's just not doable for Apple and Steve Jobs. The Roku players are adding 1080p streaming in their next major update.

Yeah I'm disappointed that ATV is only 720p but apparently, 1080p streaming just isn't possible now.

Still, I wonder if the A4 can do 1080p, because it would be useful for streaming slide shows to the big screen. Or maybe transcoding Blu-Ray rips and streaming those.

That Project Sword game looked good. This is the first I've heard that Unreal Engine is coming for iOS or any mobile OS.
Are there really any popular movie and TV streaming sites/services out there that offer their content in 1080p? All the big ones I know only offer 720p anyway and bandwith requirements for 1080p are quite high too.

Are there really any popular movie and TV show streaming sites/services out there that offer their content in 1080p? All the big ones I know only offer 720p anyway and bandwith requirements for 1080p are quite high too.

The bigger question for me is why Apple is offering TV rentals for $0.99 and Amazon can offer buying exactly the same HD shows for $0.99 ($2.99 on iTunes I think). Is that because the studios won't give the same license to Apple as to Amazon because Apple is already too powerful or is Amazon heavily subsidizing TV shows like they did with eBooks? Very strange.

Says who exactly? :LOL:

Any wired network will cope with 1080p content just fine (even at super high bitrates) and wireless N should deal with most 1080p content just fine as well. Its clearly a hardware issue.

Are there really any popular movie and TV streaming sites/services out there that offer their content in 1080p? All the big ones I know only offer 720p anyway and bandwith requirements for 1080p are quite high too.

The 360 has been offering streaming video in 1080p for something like a year now and people are going to want to stream more than just Apple's content. What use is a HD streaming box if it can't handle my Bluray rips?

The UK is way behind in broadband infrastructure but most urban areas have access to Virgin's 50mb service here and that's more than enough to stream very high quality 1080p content.

The AppleTV looks impressive but it falls short for my needs of local media streaming from my entertainment media server since it can not handle 1080p content. In the mean-time, I'll be sticking with my Zotac XBMC setup.

Here is Roku's response to engadget reports on the AppleTV http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/appletv-vs-the-competition-how-does-it-stack-up/:

Response from Roku:
Roku created the category for streaming players over two years ago with the original Netflix player for $99. Since then the category has continued to grow rapidly with large hardware entrants like Xbox, PS3, Wii, blu-ray players, and now AppleTV adding streaming capabilities. At the same time, content is becoming more readily available thanks to Netflix's increasing popularity, but also from Amazon, MLB.TV and most recently Hulu Plus. During this time Roku sales have continued to accelerate as the overall streaming market grows, and customers enjoy our simple interface, low cost and large selection of services. Our customers are using the box more and more. Two years ago the average Roku customer used our product 11 hours a month, but now it's 43 hours a month.

Beyond Netflix we have introduced over 50 additional content partners on our open platform that offer customers access to over 100,000 movies and TV shows, live sports, music, photo and video sharing, and more - all while continuing to reduce the cost of our products. Today, a customer can get a Roku player for as low as $59.99 and an HD-capable model for as low as $69.99, plus a 1080p model for $99.99. By selling direct to customers (on roku.com) we can offer more while maintaining lower prices.

Roku is completely confident that our strategy of offering more features and lower cost than competitors continues to be the right plan.

Says who exactly? :LOL:

Any wired network will cope with 1080p content just fine (even at super high bitrates) and wireless N should deal with most 1080p content just fine as well. Its clearly a hardware issue.

The UK is way behind in broadband infrastructure but most urban areas have access to Virgin's 50mb service here and that's more than enough to stream very high quality 1080p content.
You do know that the average broadband connection has only something like 2-3Mbps?

The 360 has been offering streaming video in 1080p for something like a year now and people are going to want to stream more than just Apple's content. What use is a HD streaming box if it can't handle my Bluray rips?
That's one closed system, and AFAIK not all content is offered in 1080p. It's also only a small player on the streaming video market, nothing like Hulu or Netflix or even iTunes. And people who want to watch their Blu-ray rips are in the .x% range overall (apart from it being most likely illegal).

I'm not saying 1080p support wouldn't be better. All I'm saying is that right know it doesn't really matter for online video streaming and for the potential buyers Apple is targeting with the new Apple TV (the casual market and iTunes/iOS user, clearly NOT the video quality/quantity enthusiasts).

If the new updated Apple TV supported 1080p and a USB jack for playback of media from a portable HDD I'd be all over this. I wonder why they didn't add these features...surely it's not about cost.

And people who want to watch their Blu-ray rips are in the .x% range overall (apart from it being most likely illegal).

Within the US, you're wrong. It is 100% LEGAL as part of the Fair Use policy for all media.

If the new updated Apple TV supported 1080p and a USB jack for playback of media from a portable HDD I'd be all over this. I wonder why they didn't add these features...surely it's not about cost.

1080p, its all about bandwidth. Don't know what the situation is in USA, but it UK average connection isn't all that great (as someone said above its only 2-3M), and the ISP's products are more and more going away from unlimited allowances to 20,30,40GB a month. It doesn't take at ALL long to eat thru a 30GB monthly allowance if you are playing regualar 1080p programs.

You wonder why they don't provide external HDD feature ?....because they want you to buy the content ! It is also yet another example of Apple deliberately enticing content providers on the back of their players being secure. Other than the 0.x% of jailbroken devices, content on an iphone stays with that person, he can't share tunes,movies,apps with other people, which is one of the reasons there is no separate storage card facility on iphones. Its exactly the same reason why the ATV doesn't have external storage, you stream the show/movie, and then its gone forever, no chance of capturing it. Its a great sell for content providers.

Within the US, you're wrong. It is 100% LEGAL as part of the Fair Use policy for all media.

Indeed, now want to tell me the percentage of those "fair use ripped" dvds/blurays files are then used ILLEGALLY. Its not the ripping that the problem for content providers, its what happens to the ripped files afterwards, ATV just eliminates the problem from their ecosystem totally, and in doing so only alienates an extremely small percetange of consumers, and most of that percentage wouldn't be terribly interested in the ATV anyway.

In my case, 0% of that content. I don't know of anyone who rips dvds or bluray movies and then uploads or seeds them to the net.

I do know a lot who own 400 - 1000 DVDs/BluRays. They have them ripped to their media file server, mostly unRAID, that's ready for streaming to their set-top media players like the Popcorn Hour A100 / A200 / C200, Dune, Atoms running XBMC, Windows Media Center, or PS3/X360 via PS3MediaServer. Those front ends are then connected up to the receiver to feed their projectors or plasma displays. They have all this media ready to be served up instantly on a family and wife friendly system(s).

I understand why Apple went the way they did. They want to lock people into their eco-system.

You can rip Blu-Ray and transcode with Handbrake and that you should be able to stream to ATV.

Lot of work and it's too bad you have to reduce the resolution.

Any movies you load on the iPad or iPhone, you could stream to ATV too.

Back