News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the sales margins are not good from all I've heard...
Where and what have you heard? Margins should be reasonable on PS360. Even if not, that doesn't preclude some new console designed to be cheap to produce being sold cheaply to stores in future.

That's great, if you want to blow through your entire monthly data cap in a week...if you have a cap, that is. Anyway, digital downloads will make this industry kill itself off through ritual seppuku.

No physical games = no game stores = no stores that carry consoles = no sales of consoles = no sales of games, digital or otherwise. The End.

Nonsense. First, a small profit is made on the consoles. In any retail store right now there are tons of high profit items (Eg, HDMI cables, DIY furniture) and tons of very narrow profit items (EG in fact, most desktop computers, DVD players, Tide laundry detergent, etc). That mix of high and low profit items is just the way it is, and consoles easily fit in that.

My brother used to work for Best Buy. The way the employee discount works there is employees paid cost +5%. This was an interesting way to see what was highly profitable (EG, large employee discount) and what wasn't (small discount). With employee discount an HDMI cable might be a couple dollars, while a budget laptop would probably have no discount at all (which is why Best Buy will try to upsell you a million things from warranty to " setup" if you buy just a laptop). Just for two of a million examples.

Second, even without any software, there will be plenty of accessory sales (cables, controllers, hard drives, media remotes, etc), points cards, and the like to also ensure retail keeps consoles on shelves.

I think they're going to want to be digital only at some point, seeing as they're going to have same day digital releases for all 720 titles - it's the logical progression that Xbox 1080 will be digital only, (if it isn't merely a cloud streaming box).
Did Sony say they were going to be doing the same thing (same day digital releases for all games) at their conference?

And that box is not a Durango devkit.

Bkilian, can you confirm if this is legit? I don't like the shade of green too much and the logo design could possibly mean something.
33k7nnq.jpg

http://www.gamechup.com/xbox-720-teaser-picture-posted-by-an-anonymous-twitter-acc-rumour/

Shade of green will be affected by monitor it was shown on, camera taking photo, and then monitor you view it on. Although it spans the green spectrum from bluish to yellowish, so I guess there's only so much the image pipeline can do to mess with that. ;)

I don't understand that logo.

Shade of green will be affected by monitor it was shown on, camera taking photo, and then monitor you view it on. Although it spans the green spectrum from bluish to yellowish, so I guess there's only so much the image pipeline can do to mess with that. ;)

Nothing like a detailed break down of that shade of green from Shifty as always:). The logo might have something to do with Kinect.

Bkilian, can you confirm if this is legit? I don't like the shade of green too much and the logo design could possibly mean something.
33k7nnq.jpg

http://www.gamechup.com/xbox-720-teaser-picture-posted-by-an-anonymous-twitter-acc-rumour/
This "new way to play" slogan fits with a recent job ad from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/jo...-Hardware-Xbox-(827082)-Job-WA-98052/2455780/

Do you want to be part of the core development team for one of the most exciting hardware that defines the new revolutionary way to play games?

33k7nnq.jpg

I hope the image is fake, I don't fancy that design to be honest. It's not that bad, but it isn't great either.

I am still hoping that the new Xbox will be called Xbox Infinity and that it is going to have the infinite symbol, like an 8 on its side. It'd make a LOT of sense.

There are other cool designs going round:

Model 1

BOX_5.png

Model 2

8rE3E.jpg

Are you really brian klugg from anandtech?? ;)

Maddening silence from Microsoft at the GDC, regarding the next Xbox

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ence-at-gdc/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Very strange....its like since the ps4 reveal they had to get to work fast...
Of course this can only mean 1 thing. ..they have redesigned the durango to carry a hd7870 in time for E3 :p

Guess they are happy that at present no one can compare the consoles publically. Soon as they announce people can start saying it is or isn't as poeerful as something else we know about.

Basically this confirms the rumours are true and well done to Microsoft for sticking to their plan. I hope it works and if kinect works this time I will probably buy it. We need a 'wii' and core/powerful console this gen anyway wiiu is neither.

(When I say 'wii' I don't mean hopelessly underpowered I mean something that offers something different - I think many missed bkilian post where using Kinect is in the TRCs which from my understanding means every game must use it in some way (Please correct me if I'm wrong))

Last edited by a moderator:
What if MS never announced products early. I doubt announcing any earlier than E3 translates into $1 in revenue.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ence-at-gdc/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
Well whether they could think they made a mistake wrt specs or not, I guess their best bet is to stick to the "plan".
I think Pachter is right, they will "trash" the PS4, inefficient power hungry, etc. and leverage a good old fashioned fan boy war which may create enough noise for a while...

Business as usual... :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

to me it says, we have a plan, we have a roadmap and we don't react to competitors, we act out our plan and clearly their plan included a later reveal.

I disagree with the comment that it is a mistake.

Sony had to come out first, they lost half their market share from PS2 while MS increased more than double. they were the underdog needing to get a jump.

MS will not and should not react to that. To think that they are somehow taken aback by Sony's reveal, would be a mistake.

What if MS never announced products early. I doubt announcing any earlier than E3 translates into $1 in revenue.

Revenue, no, mindshare yes. Pretty much ever new game gets announced for the PS4, whereas people have to play hush-hush when talking about the 720. Granted, this won't matter after E3, but it's still not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back