News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the odds on the May event being celeb filled and extravaganza excess type theatrics with Cirque du Soleil? Or will they go spartan Apple conference style with Mattrick in a black turtleneck?

Kinect being pushed is a lock. HDMI-in STB connectivity is a lock. It's going to be a long ass presentation to explain it all I think.

I agree, it will be turtlenecked. But there'll be some cheap theatrics first.

Bored. Some conference fan fiction starter:

It's completely dark. The event takes place in a circular venue with stadium style seating serving few hundred attendees. A mosh pit out front by the stage is filled with young and old all nearly nude, only covered by rags in a tribal style. Marked on their foreheads is a phosphorescent glowing green 3rd eye. A small child's voice calls out from the darkness, "Xbox, open our eyes". The silence is interrupted by the sound of shakers leading into some traditional sounding Aztek music. The mosh pit starts to move rhythmically. Then a spotlight shines onto the stage where the covered box sits..

If the next Xbox is to be announced this year, don't you think they've been unusually quiet?

not at all. besides, may 21 is the date all but confirmed.

you never want to start hyping the next console while the current plus software is on shelves. ms only looks a little slow cause of sony's reveal.

in 2 years not one of us will care that sony unveiled the ps4 in february and ms waited until may. it's one of those things that only seems important now.

"Something" of an insider doesn't mean he actually IS an insider though.
He's an insider in the same sense bgassassin or thuway are 'insiders', not a true insider of course.

I'm pretty sure durango will be very exciting to the vast majority of gamers. It's nearly unthinkable to believe MS could possibly screw up their flagship to the extent Nintendo did with the wuu. ;)
I agree, for one they'll definitely have a much bigger marketing push than Nintendo had.

I don't see a reason why they would abandon it, and there's no credible information out there to suggest they really would. It would be stupid and irrational for them to intentionally alienate a large swathe of their own core customers, which they've spent years building up with their own Halo games and others. I don't think there's any risk of that, especially when MS knows that Sony would only be too happy to scoop said customers up if MS no longer wants them. If you trust nothing else in this world, trust in greed. Greed always wins. :)
Not all of them will abandon it, of course, but a fair amount might jump ship to PS4 (like me for eg.,after buying the vast majority of games on 360 this gen) - judging from the very negative reaction to the always online and no used game stuff.

Not to mention if every future DF Face Off comes away in the PS4's favour, now they might not be actually able to tell the difference between games running on PS4 vs 720, but no one likes having the 'weaker' console.

Plus, the main XB system seller, Halo, might not be all what it used to be, seeing how many people were disappointed with Halo 4 (mainly the multiplayer, read the B3D thread). Perhaps Bungie's Destiny will offer better gameplay than 343's Halo games so people wanting Halo-esque multiplayer can just play that instead.

So if a fair amount of the Xbox faithful jump ship to PS4 (or get the PS4 on launch and take a wait and see approach to the 720), will that affect the greater sales standings in any meaningful way? Or can MS count on enticing the casuals and the great unwashed masses of CoD, FIFA, Madden players with a marketing blitz and Kinect?

I like to harp on the importance of gfx more than anybody, but there's also historical evidence that there is a console threshold of "good enough". I think the prime example was the PS2. It wasn't a match for the Xbox, but it was in the same league, and won on other factors. I'm very sure Wii U doesn't make the cut of "good enough", but Durango certainly might.
There's really nothing from history to compare the next gen launch situation too, PS2 had an 18 month head start and MS was a new entrant with an expensive, ugly console and ungainly controller.

I also caution against taking the internet altogether to mean too much.

See, this is the thing - the people on the internet, ie. the diehard core gamers who frequent GAF, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, PSN, TeamXbox etc are they merely a small (but vocal) minority with no real influence?

Or are they trendsetters who can play a crucial part in determing how the market at large perceives a console?
Won't they be the people in their social circles who the less knowledgeable will go to for advice when purchasing a new console?

Did we see something like that this gen with the PS3 and 'TEH CELL', which due to word of mouth and Sony's marketing lead to the widespread perception that PS3 was more powerful than 360? and continues even to this day (despite being divorced from reality)

How many sales did positive word of mouth around Cell give them? I remember at the start of this generation, nearly everyone who I spoke to who owned PS3s (even the uninformed who don't read gaming media) would have one of (if not the) primary reasons they got it as being because it's the 'most powerful console'.

Now with next gen, isn't the same situation exaggerated, as any such claims of PS4 power dominance, will be based on reality.

What will that mean for 720 sales? Nothing? I really don't know.

But it's going to be a very interesting race to watch :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really nothing from history to compare the next gen launch situation too, PS2 had an 18 month head start and MS was a new entrant with an expensive, ugly console and ungainly controller.

See, this is the thing - the people on the internet, ie. the diehard core gamers who frequent GAF, IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, PSN, TeamXbox etc are they merely a small (but vocal) minority with no real influence?

Or are they trendsetters who can play a crucial part in determing how the market at large perceives a console?
Won't they be the people in their social circles who the less knowledgeable will go to for advice when purchasing a new console?

Did we see something like that this gen with the PS3 and 'TEH CELL', which due to word of mouth and Sony's marketing lead to the widespread perception that PS3 was more powerful than 360? and continues even to this day (despite being divorced from reality)

How many sales did positive word of mouth around Cell give them? I remember at the start of this generation, nearly everyone who I spoke to who owned PS3s (even the uninformed who don't read gaming media) would have one of (if not the) primary reasons they got it as being because it's the 'most powerful console'.

Now with next gen, isn't the same situation exaggerated, as any such claims of PS4 dominance, will be based on reality.

What will that mean for 720 sales? Nothing? I really don't know.

But it's going to be a very interesting race to watch :smile:

I put it in reverse. PS3 was "perceived" as the most powerful console, but didn't kill in sales. Perception is virtually the same as reality if the consumer believes it. If people believed PS3 was more powerful it's effectively the same as if it was, and I think most did.

Like I say, I think the power factor is the only relevant one that sunk Wii U. The next most important factor didn't play 10% as much into it imo. But it'll likely be a different matter with Durango.

Sony's bigger pluses might be they wont be going a year late and they wont have 599 hanging them. On paper it might be an easy victory for them simply removing those constraints.

MS OTOH probably will have an underrated advantage in that this is the first gen they'll come into from a relative position of market strength in the prior gen. Xbox struggled against PS2 partly because it was trying to gain that toehold. Durango will be coming off 360. Third party support and brand recognition arent problems anymore.

It will definitely be fun to watch.

And it sucks how all the interesting discussions here are off topic, lol.

And it sucks how all the interesting discussions here are off topic, lol.

You're right, I get distracted too easily, lol.

On topic, I wonder what Black Tusk studios are working on? They're supposed to be working on the new 'Halo' - it's a pity we haven't had many leaks on upcoming games.

But wow, MS have seriously being investing in first party studios. After Bungie left and them shutting down Aces, Ensemble and FASA they only really had Turn 10, 343 Industries, Rare and Lionhead (plus Bigpark and Good Science for Kinect games)

Now they have some 21 studios working on game projects plus 5 support studios:

UNITED STATES

343 Industries – Halo series
Connected Experiences – Untitled Project – Design Large scale multiplayer title and help other first party studios
Good Science Studio – Kinect Adventures, Kinect Fun Labs
Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment – Next generation fitness project
Microsoft Studios – Los Angeles – Next generation core cinematic title
Microsoft Studios – Mobile Gaming – ilomilo
Microsoft Studios – Redmond Publishing – Overseeing and co-developing multiple projects in conjunction with third party development studios
Platform Next Studios – Next generation core title
Playful Learning – Next generation family project
Skybox Sports – Next generation sports project
Turn 10 Studios – Forza Motorsport series
Twisted Pixel Games – The Gunstringer, LocoCycle
Xbox Live Productions – South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, South Park: Tenorman's Revenge, Avatar Kinect

EUROPE

Lionhead Studios – Fable series, Black & White series, Unannounced MMO-like New IP - (2 team studio - Concurrent development of Fable: The Journey, Fable Heroes and an unannounced next generation title)
Lift London – Multiple Cloud Based gaming projects
Rare Ltd. – Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Piñata series, Perfect Dark series, Kinect Sports series- (3 team studio - Concurrent development of various titles)
Soho Productions – Kinect Sesame Street TV
Press Play – Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

CANADA

BigPark – Joy Ride series, Kinect Sports: Season Two
Black Tusk Studios – Untitled Project - (an unannounced next generation title)
Microsoft Studios Victoria – Untitled Project

Non Game Development

Microsoft Studios – Sentient Team Working with internal and external teams and sharing new technologies
Microsoft Studios – Skype Xbox Engineering Team Bringing Skype communication software to Xbox platforms through Xbox Live
Microsoft Studios – Games Testing Organization Responsible for games and entertainment testing; from crash processing, telemetry and data visualization, to automating Xboxes
Microsoft Studios – Technology and Incubation Group Advancing new products and technologies
Microsoft Studios – Xbox Core Platform team API and SDK development
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

This might also reinforce the 'always online' thing:
Lift London – Multiple Cloud Based gaming projects

Not to mention if every future DF Face Off comes away in the PS4's favour, now they might not be actually able to tell the difference between games running on PS4 vs 720, but no one likes having the 'weaker' console.

If you talk about hardware then a lot of people bought and liked the weaker console/hardware:

-Wii is the weaker console and yet it outsold PS3 or 360;
-DS and 3DS are weaker handheld than PSVita and yet they outsold it;
-PS2 was the "weaker" console and yet it outsold Xbox and GameCube, there was not a massive "abandon ship".

PS3 is the weaker console for multi-platform and yet I am still on PS3 because PS3 to me is stronger in therms of exclusives, because I can watch Blu-ray with it, and because I don't have to pay an extra to play online.
I read DF and I simply don't buy the games that are significantly inferior on PS3.

Xbox 720 from what we know is the "weaker" console, hardware wise, but if a player/customer think it has the right games and the right service then it would still be a very valid choice.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1724360&postcount=1340

Let's bring back the VMU! :) Maybe they could make a simple removable touch screen like the iPod Touch Nano? It could be used for gamesaves, music, simple apps or even be worn like a watch. ;) Cool thing is you could interact with the console guide without disrupting what's on the TV. Use it to check gamerscore, achievements, messages, friends, music, etc. Call it Micro Smartglass. :)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/17/4234294/microsoft-smartwatch-prototype-surface-connector

TheVerge said:
Microsoft's Xbox team testing smartwatch prototypes with a Surface connector

Microsoft is prototyping its own wrist-worn device. A reliable source familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans has revealed to The Verge that the company has been developing a wrist-worn device for just over a year. We understand that Microsoft had originally planned to release a "Joule" heart rate monitor accessory for the Xbox, but the company has since decided to focus on a smartwatch instead. The Wall Street Journal first reported on Microsoft's plans earlier this week, citing unnamed supply chain sources who claim Microsoft has requested 1.5-inch displays from component manufacturers.

Microsoft's smartwatch is said to be in the prototype phase, with teams who have worked on Xbox accessories and the Kinect sensor focused on the device. We're told it features removable bands attached to a 1.5-inch touch display. One prototype includes the same magnetic power connector that Microsoft uses on its Surface tablets. The MagSafe-like connector is made up of five pins and can transmit both power and data, but we're told this is only a prototype and a final design may omit the connector.

Well, isn't that cool? :) Boy it looks like I'm going to be broke!

Tommy McClain

You're right, I get distracted too easily, lol.

On topic, I wonder what Black Tusk studios are working on? They're supposed to be working on the new 'Halo' - it's a pity we haven't had many leaks on upcoming games.

But wow, MS have seriously being investing in first party studios. After Bungie left and them shutting down Aces, Ensemble and FASA they only really had Turn 10, 343 Industries, Rare and Lionhead (plus Bigpark and Good Science for Kinect games)

Now they have some 21 studios working on game projects plus 5 support studios:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

The Wikipedia info is wrong, there are less studios.

This might also reinforce the 'always online' thing:

Lift London is focussed on cloud gaming.

If you talk about hardware then a lot of people bought and liked the weaker console/hardware:

-Wii is the weaker console and yet it outsold PS3 or 360;
-DS and 3DS are weaker handheld than PSVita and yet they outsold it;
-PS2 was the "weaker" console and yet it outsold Xbox and GameCube, there was not a massive "abandon ship".

PS3 is the weaker console for multi-platform and yet I am still on PS3 because PS3 to me is stronger in therms of exclusives, because I can watch Blu-ray with it, and because I don't have to pay an extra to play online.
I read DF and I simply don't buy the games that are significantly inferior on PS3.

Xbox 720 from what we know is the "weaker" console, hardware wise, but if a player/customer think it has the right games and the right service then it would still be a very valid choice.
If you ask yourself why each "weaker" console outsold its competitors you will see that the answer will say: going weaker doesnt necessarily guarantee outselling competitors.
So it really makes someone wonder why people bring up that argument, but its pretty obvious why at the same time they dont explain WHY each one of these consoles REALLY succeeded
So in the case of Durango it will all be a matter of what new and exclusive features it will offer, how it offers them, at what price and when?
With everything else the same, yes "weaker" is not likeable unless there is something else to compensate for it

If you ask yourself why each "weaker" console outsold its competitors you will see that the answer will say: going weaker doesnt necessarily guarantee outselling competitors.
So it really makes someone wonder why people bring up that argument, but its pretty obvious why at the same time they dont explain WHY each one of these consoles REALLY succeeded
So in the case of Durango it will all be a matter of what new and exclusive features it will offer, how it offers them, at what price and when?
With everything else the same, yes "weaker" is not likeable unless there is something else to compensate for it

That would only point to the fact that there are a number of different reasons or circumstances that can lead to a weaker console/handheld outselling a more powerful offering. If there was a common factor/factors those factor/factors would be readily apparent and readily included with each assertion of "performance doesn't matter".

The more reasons or different circumstances you can show that leads to weaker hardware outselling stronger hardware, increases the likelihood that performance as an influential feature isn't as strong as we think across market segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back