News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you sign up as new a user through your Xbox One you can get a free 30 day trial. Also, Microsoft is also offering 3 months free if you buy a Xbox One from the Microsoft Store...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/xbox-slingtv

Tommy McClain
Netflix are also offering a 30 day free trial on the Xbox One, btw. It took me by surprise because I found out it myself the other day when downloading a NBA app, Netflix was on the list, free for 30 days.

Hulu Plus was offering a 2 month free trial on both Xbox one and 360. I'm not sure if they still are, but I jumped on the sh!t quick about 3 weeks ago.

I wanted to try out sling so bad and didn't know when the Xbox app would hit so I signed up normally and missed out :( Got 7 free days from the website.

It's really really great. Only possible issue is you can only watch on a single screen, but that doesn't really effect me.

The Xbox slingtv app seems somewhat better controllable out than the roku one which is kind of confusing. I dont love the way they did the apps, but it seems less annoying on Xbox controller.

I wanted to try out sling so bad and didn't know when the Xbox app would hit so I signed up normally and missed out :( Got 7 free days from the website.

It's really really great. Only possible issue is you can only watch on a single screen, but that doesn't really effect me.

The Xbox slingtv app seems somewhat better controllable out than the roku one which is kind of confusing. I dont love the way they did the apps, but it seems less annoying on Xbox controller.

You can possibly signup under a different email account to get the 1 month trial? I suppose it depends if they already have your xbox marked as activated.

I have tried twice to make a Sling account on my X1 with no success. It let's me enter in all my info and agree to the statement, but then it says can not create this account. Both tries were with 2 different emails. I wonder if the problem is me using a visa debit card as opposed to a credit card?

So, I watched the Dead Rising - Watchtower movie that comes out next week on Crackle and was available early this weekend for Xb1 users. Production quality and acting was actually pretty decent for a low-budget zombie flick. It was better than a lot of the movies that you'll see on the Syfy channel, for instance. It clearly had a few winks towards the actual game, probably had a bunch more that I missed since I haven't played any of the 3.

But what is with Crackle? Seriously? The same ads, in the same order, each commercial break (which seems to be every 10 minutes)? Okay, it's Lobsterfest at Red Lobster, Dead Rising 3 is available only on Xb1, Russell Wilson is getting a haircut and trying to sell us a MS Surface, and then a "Buy an Xb1" because you can play games and also Skype and switch back and forth. Every... single... time. Every.. ten.. minutes.

First - I thought there was typically a rule in broadcast TV that if the stations accidentally played your commercials back to back, the advertisers weren't charged because they know that running repetitive ads actually ticks off the viewers? Second - Those LobsterFest ads looked delicious the first two times I saw them, almost looked to see how close the nearest Red Lobster was. By the end of the movie, I'm sick of looking at lobster and have no desire to go to Red Lobster.

This isn't unique to Crackle, I remember it happened when I tried out Hulu back whenever as well. But don't Crackle and the advertisers know that they'd get far more bang for their buck if they ran less of the same commercials? If you haven't sold enough commercial space, just reduce the amount of commercials? I can't imagine Crackle is charging Red Lobster for each time they played an ad. Because nobody in their right mind (see my first point above) at Red Lobster would think that running 2 ads during a movie would be good, so running the same ad 15 times during the same time period would be better.

Anyway, back to the movie - it was decent, a fun popcorn movie if you like that sort of thing. Fans of Dead Rising would probably like it even more, and it did an interesting job of carrying out an under-story that I'm not sure is in the games themselves or is part of accompanying books or was just a movie thing.

Broadcast TV is the same way. It isn't uncommon to see the exact same commercial 2-4 times in a 30 minute span. Also, the commercial breaks can happen more often than every 10 minutes for broadcast TV. Especially as you get towards the end of the TV episode where you can have a 2-3 minute commercial break every 2-4 minutes.

Regards,
SB

Broadcast TV is the same way. It isn't uncommon to see the exact same commercial 2-4 times in a 30 minute span. Also, the commercial breaks can happen more often than every 10 minutes for broadcast TV. Especially as you get towards the end of the TV episode where you can have a 2-3 minute commercial break every 2-4 minutes.

Regards,
SB

But the same group of four commercials in the same order, every single time? I only watch NFL on broadcast TV and I know I'll sometimes see the same Ford 150 commercial 4 times during the 3 hour broadcast, but it's not every single time and grouped along with identical ads each time.

Seems to me that these online streaming services that are advertising supported don't seem to actually have much advertising support, yet still feel the need to bombard the viewers with ads (which becomes counterproductive).

I guess I'm glad I don't watch more broadcast TV!

Anybody else catch the movie or a Dead Rising fan to maybe explain how it fits into the "universe"? I never really felt Capcom games were very story driven.

http://majornelson.com/2015/03/26/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-april-2015-double-the-games/

For the month of April, Xbox Live Gold members will receive six new free games (double the normal amount) on Xbox One and Xbox 360 as part of the Games with Gold program.

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download Pool Nation FX ($13.99 ERP) AND Child of Light ($14.99 ERP) for free during the month of April.

On Xbox 360, starting Wednesday, April 1st, Gears of War Judgement ($19.99 ERP) and Terraria ($14.99 ERP) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through April 15th. Then on April 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag ($19.99 ERP) and Army of Two The Devil’s Cartel ($19.99 ERP) for free through April 30th.

So AWESOME!!! Only one I own on that list is Ass Creed Black Flag for X1 which I haven't even played yet.
A big plus to get the only Gears I haven't played as well.

Some cool updates coming in April:
https://majornelson.com/2015/03/26/...s-party-chat-updates-and-more-now-in-preview/

Yes, that does say voice messaging is back! Hurray! It is also cross platform, which is a nice plus! Party chat is also going to be moved to dedicated servers to prevent problems that were occurring with the peer-to-peer system they were currently using not allowing all members to connect to the party.

Pretty neat stuff. Finally putting back the features that made Live worth the subscription fee!

It's nice to know they're listening to the suggestions and rolling them out at a rather quick pace. It's about time they added Voice Message capability to the One.

Preview video:

BTW: This latest update is 243 Meg.

Awesome about voice messages & support for 360 too. Although I agree MS are being wonderful with the monthly updates & listening to the fans, but I kinda feel voice messages should have been supported Day 1 along with a bunch of other features. MS made a lot of mis-steps with the initial XB1 functionality. They should have known better. But I guess late is better than never. I still have a few 360 friends, but none that I talk to on a regular basis. But I'm glad I won't need to log into my 360 just to listen to a simple voice message anymore.

Tommy McClain

any idea when will MS spread their supported region for xbox one?

im in indonesia and just "purchashed" the free Forza horizon 2 fast furious by manually changing the country to singapore, then it errors, then it automatically throw me to japan store. Then when back to indonesia it say xbox not available. Then back to singapore, it say i have purchased the game.

so it seems the digital content purchase is working across region, unlike PS4 where every region need to be purchased seperately.

Preview video of Pool FX if anyone was wondering like me. :yep2:

Glad to see it's more than "just pool", because I wasn't even going to bother downloading it for free. Now, I'll probably play around with it since it seems to have some more physics based games and whatnot.

I mean, because really.. isn't pool like bowling? or Fishing? Just something to do with your buddies while you're drinking? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back