News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The postponement sounded like it was substantial, not just six days! :???:

The increased interest isn't all that surprising, because this is the first outside console in the country in ages. It'll have a lot of interest as an item hitherto denied. Still, it's nice MS has some positive vibes for once. This and XB1 outselling PS4 in UK this week is a much valued breather, I'm sure.

I'm getting the free Games with Gold for Xbox One even though I don't own one. I just sign into the web site with my Xbox Live Gold account & purchase them.

Tommy McClain
I am very curious about that -tell us when you get a Xbox One if you still have those games-, as I thought that games did expire after a month if you didn't log in using the actual hardware.

http://kotaku.com/people-in-china-actually-lined-up-for-the-xbox-one-1640227604

Seems like the China launch was met with more enthusiasm than Japan.
Yup, some more photos from the event.

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-had-a-spectacular-xbox-one-launch-in-china-photos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: msftnws (Microsoft News)

Xbox-One-China-Launch-1.jpg

Xbox-One-China-Launch-2.jpg

Xbox-One-China-Launch-3.jpg

Xbox-One-China-Launch-4.jpg

Xbox-One-China-Launch-5.jpg

Xbox One outsold the PS4 in the UK last week.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...to-price-cut-says-report.html#~oRhP2CrtdtMMZ0

XBOX rewards are now doing refer a friend, 50K points split between the referrer and the referral:

There’s no better way to enjoy the new Xbox One than with friends, so why not share the experience and split 50,000 Rewards Credits? Half for you, and half for the first friend to complete this offer. It’s one of our biggest offers – and it’s handpicked for loyal Xbox Live Rewards members like you!

I would offer to refer but it appears not to work in Canada.

Xbox One to get themes, background pics, screenshot feature

Eurogamer are reporting (8 hours ago, maybe nobody cares!) that Xbox One is getting customisable backgrounds, desktop themes and a screenshot feature.

Amazingly Phil Spencer has communicated something without upsetting a segment of gamers. So bravo, Phil! :yes:

Now those sound like awesome updates! All are interesting to me unlike October's update, besides the DLNA/media player stuff whenever that's actually slated.

The update pace is just great. Glad it's not those old style spring and fall updates. Maybe that's partly a consequence of moving to an modular app based system.

Eurogamer are reporting (8 hours ago, maybe nobody cares!) that Xbox One is getting customisable backgrounds, desktop themes and a screenshot feature.

Amazingly Phil Spencer has communicated something without upsetting a segment of gamers. So bravo, Phil! :yes:
Nice! Now I might be able to set a Laura Jackson picture as my dashboard's background.

Phil Spencer wants Xbox One backwards compatibility.

http://www.actiontrip.com/news/spencer-wants-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility/100914_5

In a recent podcast interview, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer has assured fans that he is listening to gamers' desire for backwards compatibility. He even goes as far as to say that he wants to look into making this a possibility.

Kutaragi wanted full BC for PS2 on PS3 too, but it never really happened.

no reason why it can't come in the form of onlive or gakki or whatever it is sony is doing. They've already shown it off behind close doors. I believe they had halo 2 streaming to a cell phone last year.

That's not BC though. BC requires you to be able to put an old game disc in the drive and have the console play it locally without need for an always online connection - to function the same as the original. Game streaming could be provided to get old games on the system, and it'd possibly satisfy the spirit of the idea, but there is a distinction, especially if you don't get free access to the streamed game when you own the disc. I don't take a hopeful remark from Spencer to mean there's a reasonable probability of XB360 emulation happening on XB1. Perhaps just a case of the most popular titles getting a streamed game or remake or something.

But he did mention people being invested in their digital library & being able to bring that to the XB1. I want that more than being able to play a disc. My digital library is huge, but my disc library is only a couple of games. However there is the possibility of them supporting a disc to digital program like you can do with DVD movies. I would pay a few extra dollars to do that.

Tommy McClain

But he did mention people being invested in their digital library & being able to bring that to the XB1. I want that more than being able to play a disc. My digital library is huge, but my disc library is only a couple of games.

I believe Shifty's point is that for a solution to be considered backwards compatibility support, your original content (disc or digital purchase) is compatible with your new machine. A streaming service isn't backwards compatibility although the goal of letting owners play old games, is similar in nature.

But he did mention people being invested in their digital library & being able to bring that to the XB1. I want that more than being able to play a disc. My digital library is huge, but my disc library is only a couple of games. However there is the possibility of them supporting a disc to digital program like you can do with DVD movies. I would pay a few extra dollars to do that.

Tommy McClain

Your digital library is running on an invisible clock and sooner or later it will only be your local copy that will work. Until your 360 dies. Then everything will be gone like tears in the rain.

As usual, people are splitting hairs for no other reason than to argue. If I can play my 360 games on the Bone, I'll be happy. I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch if doing do requires some other method than inserting my original 360 disc in the Bone.

I believe Shifty's point is that for a solution to be considered backwards compatibility support, your original content (disc or digital purchase) is compatible with your new machine. A streaming service isn't backwards compatibility although the goal of letting owners play old games, is similar in nature.

I understood his point. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. The point I was making was that Phil made a point about 360 owners holding onto their systems because of their digital libraries. He said he would continue to try to do something to help people out. That sounds to me that he may not be talking true backwards compatibility via a disc, but something else. Your digital license is tied to your Live account. It should be possible to recognize that on the XB1 & provide a streamed version accordingly or allow you to upgrade to a newer XB1 version for a small fee. In that I think both Shifty & I agree.

Tommy McClain

As usual, people are splitting hairs for no other reason than to argue.
It's to understand the possibilities. The original quote says there's an interest in bringing BC. My reply was that an interest isn't any real proof of likelihood of it happening. If the quote was, "we are looking into plans to roll out old games via a streamed gaming platform," my response would be different. BC in the box is perhaps a moderate probability, although as time progresses, economic value of that decreases. In the future, streaming old games for a fee makes business sense. Streaming old games for free seems unlikely unless MS have spare server capacity and nothing to do with it so invest free old game streaming in exchange for goodwill.

Of course, ultimately all discussion on the fora is for no other reason than to argue, because no-one's affecting policy here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back