News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno I have a note 2 and the experience it gives me on a tv is sub par. My surface pro does a better job but it is a full pc.

MS needs to create a hub in the living room. They need to basicly create a small server in which you can store all your content and stream it to all your Windows devices .

Durango with dvr functions could be that small server. They just need to give the user the ability to increase local storage and stream to other devices.

imagine you have your Durango set up in your living room. It can record say 4 channels at once while your playing Call of duty 10 and while your playing call of duty your wife in another room is streaming two broke girls to her windows tablet / phone . Or you go on vacation and you stream your living room tv to your tablet / phone / laptop.

That is what MS needs to do.

The more I hear about improvements in System foot print , lower resources , better intergration between two ui's , better battery life and other kernel improvements in windows blue the more I believe Durango will ship with it and Durango will complete ms's living room set up.

I think with it MS can leap ahead of Apple and google. The only problem is getting people to "jump in" but I think the xbox brand is the smartest way to do so

What you are describing is server component for xbox surface. Interesting specs for that were floating around earlier and Verge is convinced that it is coming.

Well, there are a lot of people from IBM working on Durango. Maybe, just maybe, MikeR is right.

It's quite odd that in the VGLeaks documents showing the specs, which I suppose are kinda correct, they never mention Jaguar but just a 1.6GHz CPU.

Andy Maki, Senior Mixed Signal Design Engineer at Microsoft, ex IBM
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andy-maki/37/a08/5b8
June 2012 – Present, work on cool stuff

Rob Shearer, Principal SOC Architect at Microsoft, ex IBM BlueGene/A2/Xbox360
www.linkedin.com/in/robshearer/
Microsoft: SOC Architecture in the Interactive Entertainment Business division.
May 2012 – Present, SoC Architecture for amazing new products that I can't tell you about.

Steve Faas, Silicon Design Manager at Microsoft , ex IBM
www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-faas/20/101/749/
July 2012 – Present ,Silicon Design Manager

Ilan Spillinger, Corporate VP IEB Hardware , ex VP Advanced Processor IBM
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ilan-spillinger/7/a43/1b3
2011 – Present ,Corporate VP IEB Hardware

Yaron Galitzky, Sr Director, XBOX Kinect at Microsoft, ex Sr. R/D IBM
www.linkedin.com/in/yarongalitzky/
Jan 2010 - Present, Sr Director, XBOX Kinect

Adam Muff, Senior Hardware Engineer at Microsoft, ex IBM FP A2
Technical team lead for the Reservation Station, an out of order issue and dependency unit in a high performance embedded microprocessor. Significantly contributed to the overall architecture and implementation of a 2+ GHz multi-threaded super-scalar microprocessor.
www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-muff/7/474/90b/
June 2012 – Present ,Senior Hardware Engineer

Gene Leung, Senior Design Engineer, Ex IBM
Led multiple teams through ASIC/semi-custom timing methodology development and closure on large designs. Have closed timing on several designs that utilize high-speed serial and DDR interfaces
www.linkedin.com/pub/gene-leung/6/183/2ab/
June 2012 – Present
Previous IBM : timing lead for X86 scalability - Hardware emualtion - gameconsole GPU

Boris Bobrov, Director of Silicon Development, ex Freescale Direcotor of App. Engineerng Freescale (IBM related)
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/boris-bobrov/4/737/437
February 2010 – Present ,silicon design, hardware engineering ,Director of Silicon Development

Matthew Tubbs, Senior Hardware Design Engineer at Microsoft ,ex IBM A2,
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-tubbs/9/2b2/815
May 2012 – Present, Senior Hardware Design Engineer

Edit: Forgot to add this guy

Ex IBM, ex A2, Ex Bluegene, the one behind Xbox 360
now becoming Microsoft Sr Director of SOC and pricipal Architect XBOX, Eric Mejdrich
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/eric-mejdrich/1b/108/214

Make complete sense because regardless of the underlying hardware, you won't find many companies with as much relevant experience with heterogeneous design as ibm. From powerPCs, Opterons, nvidia gpus and Cell BEs, IBM has used plenty of different hardware vendors in their hardware design.

Nevermind their console hardware design experience.

I don't have any knowledge to say who's exact design it is. My guess is that the system architecture design is driven by Microsoft and they're deeply involved as they were with the 360. And I wouldn't call a bunch of ex-IBM R/D who worked on DeepBlue and A2, just some external guys.

Not necessarily. IBM sells fpga based blades.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6984/en

Performance—Taking advantage of hardware parallelism, FPGAs exceed the computing power of digital signal processors (DSPs) by breaking the paradigm of sequential execution and accomplishing more per clock cycle. BDTI, a noted analyst and benchmarking firm, released benchmarks showing how FPGAs can deliver many times the processing power per dollar of a DSP solution in some applications.2 Controlling inputs and outputs (I/O) at the hardware level provides faster response times and specialized functionality to closely match application requirements.

Time to market—FPGA technology offers flexibility and rapid prototyping capabilities in the face of increased time-to-market concerns. You can test an idea or concept and verify it in hardware without going through the long fabrication process of custom ASIC design.3 You can then implement incremental changes and iterate on an FPGA design within hours instead of weeks. Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware is also available with different types of I/O already connected to a user-programmable FPGA chip. The growing availability of high-level software tools decreases the learning curve with layers of abstraction and often offers valuable IP cores (prebuilt functions) for advanced control and signal processing.

Cost—The nonrecurring engineering (NRE) expense of custom ASIC design far exceeds that of FPGA-based hardware solutions. The large initial investment in ASICs is easy to justify for OEMs shipping thousands of chips per year, but many end users need custom hardware functionality for the tens to hundreds of systems in development. The very nature of programmable silicon means you have no fabrication costs or long lead times for assembly. Because system requirements often change over time, the cost of making incremental changes to FPGA designs is negligible when compared to the large expense of respinning an ASIC.

Reliability—While software tools provide the programming environment, FPGA circuitry is truly a “hard” implementation of program execution. Processor-based systems often involve several layers of abstraction to help schedule tasks and share resources among multiple processes. The driver layer controls hardware resources and the OS manages memory and processor bandwidth. For any given processor core, only one instruction can execute at a time, and processor-based systems are continually at risk of time-critical tasks preempting one another. FPGAs, which do not use OSs, minimize reliability concerns with true parallel execution and deterministic hardware dedicated to every task.

Long-term maintenance—As mentioned earlier, FPGA chips are field-upgradable and do not require the time and expense involved with ASIC redesign. Digital communication protocols, for example, have specifications that can change over time, and ASIC-based interfaces may cause maintenance and forward-compatibility challenges. Being reconfigurable, FPGA chips can keep up with future modifications that might be necessary. As a product or system matures, you can make functional enhancements without spending time redesigning hardware or modifying the board layout.

MS has already done research to decrease reconfigurability time using DMAs and reported getting the reconfig times down to milliseconds.

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/jo...-Startup-Business-Group-Job-WA-98052/2378328/

Job Category: Hardware Engineering
Job ID: 822470-101448
Division: Corporate Research & Development

Do you want to part of a team that builds the next big, game-changing entertainment and communication experiences? We are developing a cutting-edge new video and depth-sensor based technology that goes beyond anything on the market today.

This is a key position in the productization of a V.1 game-changing technology currently under wraps at Microsoft. This is a newly created, high-impact role in Microsoft’s Startup Business Group (SBG) within a development team that is developing multiple products, based on this new technology that will be shipped with the XBOX and Lync/Skype divisions. A critical part of this role is the implementation of complex, cutting-edge image processing and computer vision algorithms in hardware.

The mission of SBG is to drive new business value for Microsoft by identifying new business and technology opportunities, building new products and taking them to market successfully.

The Principal Hardware Engineer will reside within a product team inside of SBG, and be tasked with building new products in a highly dynamic space that crosses computer vision, image processing, video, networking and graphics. This is a small group with little hierarchy that has much interaction with business and technical leaders across the company. This group is uniquely situated outside of existing product groups, allowing it to pursue innovative, product-worthy ideas and solutions that may be unfeasible to develop inside the product groups.

Responsibilities
•Provide technical leadership and individual contribution in the design, architecture, implementation, testing and release of FPGA and ASIC implementations of image processing and computer vision algorithms
•Participate hands-on in all aspects of the hardware engineering process from the design and architecture, all the way through to simulation, implementation, testing, debugging and release
•Play a key role in technical communication, coordination and alignment of the hardware design and implementation plan up and down the organizational structure (from executives to individual contributors), across product line teams (with Architects across organizational boundaries) and research teams (with collaborating teams in Microsoft Research)

Requirements
The successful candidate will bring 15+ years of engineering experience architecting and implementing relevant hardware systems.

•In particular, the SBG team seeks demonstrated world-class technical expertise and accomplishments in the following areas:
•FPGA and/or ASIC architecture and design of complex image processing and/or computer vision solutions
•Excellent mathematical ability
•Experience with camera interface and PCIe strongly desirable
•Strong development discipline and attention to detail that incorporates rigorous design, development and testing into all aspects of the product development cycle
•Reputation for being a thought leader in particular area of specialty, prior experience setting architectural direction, vision, roadmap for products
•Ability to operate effectively and efficiently under high uncertainty and ambiguity in a very dynamic environment
•Strong academic background in Engineering and/or Computer Science (Bachelors, Masters or Ph.D. or related is preferred)

CR:SBG

Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segments: Engineer, Product Development, Hardware Engineer, Computer Science, Game Designer, Engineering, Research, Technology

Kinect is not a version one product.

Thread Title Key English words: News, Rumours, Xbox

Things Not in thread title: Business, strategies, MyLife purchases, Sony.

Back on topic...

Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event
Exclusive add-on content deal expected; Publisher exec says prepare for big announcements

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393418/microsoft-to-reveal-ea-partnership-at-next-xbox-event/

That _might_ even out any perceived tech deficiencies compared to the competition, but only slightly.

Can we fast forward to April already?

Tommy McClain
I was thinking about the rumors about MSFT possible decision to go always on and to kill second hand games. It got me to wonder if MSFT and some big publishers could be cooking something to ease that shift for gamers (ie the jump from owning a copy to buying a license).
May be exclusive content? Or may be lower price?
That EA "tease" seems to match that line of thinking, they know it is not an easy pill for the costumers to swallow so they try to ease it. If they succeed it is a massive win for editors and a loss for users.

I don't know but without giving "something" and in the case they pursue the aforementioned policies the reaction of the gamers overall could really well be adverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about the rumors about MSFT possible decision to go always on and to kill second hand games. It goes me to wonder if MSFT and some big editors could be cooking something to ease that shift for gamers (ie the jump from owning a copy to buying a license).
May be exclusive content? Or may be lower price?
That EA "tease" seems to match that line of thinking, they know it is not an easy pill for the costumer to swallow so they try to ease it. If they succeed it is a massive win for editors and a loss for users.

I don't know but without giving "something" and in the case they pursue the aforementioned policies the reaction of the gamers overall could really well be adverse.

absolutely agree

this is not something that MS would initiate without wide support from its partners. otherwise there is no sense in it

This might explain why we saw Activision at Sony's conference, but not EA. I recall reading about how part of the reason EA contracted with Sony for exclusive battlefield DLC was because MS already had a contract with Activision and, as a result, EA was left out of the "premiere" 1st party marketing shlock, so they in turn contracted with Sony to get a similar effect. Activision at Sony's conference might suggest a role reversal, with EA having scored a contract with MS this time around. It could also help explain why Bungie of all developers was brought out, despite that it might be upsetting to MS, and I doubt Activision would normally want to upset MS.

You did get the SERVER part right? The leaked specs were for a home server plus tablet. If that is true I would also expect the tablets to work with 720

They were not leaked specs. They were bullshit built by a "funny man" who wanted to know who will brainlessly regurgitate everything that is posted with "leak" in the name. He has since come clean about it.

Seriously, there is nothing that originates from microsoft in that "leak".

And there is nothing magical about server parts that means they should be used in "home server" applications. The parts it called by name were things that are used when you want to ship one box with 128GB ram and other things like that. There never was an ounce of credibility in those specs, and if you ever believed them for a second, you need to feel bad.

They were not leaked specs. They were bullshit built by a "funny man" who wanted to know who will brainlessly regurgitate everything that is posted with "leak" in the name. He has since come clean about it.

Seriously, there is nothing that originates from microsoft in that "leak".

And there is nothing magical about server parts that means they should be used in "home server" applications. The parts it called by name were things that are used when you want to ship one box with 128GB ram and other things like that. There never was an ounce of credibility in those specs, and if you ever believed them for a second, you need to feel bad.

You are think about the wrong specs. verge seems to believe them, at least the tablet part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back