News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Kinect, they are working to free up resources, which I am okay with, since not every developer needs/wants to use Kinect -perhaps except for the most basic things-, and it is a 10 years life cycle, :smile2: so if they increased the GPU speed, CPU speed, why not freeing up that 10%?

I like Kinect since the very first version, but I lack the space to fully utilise it, so for me having games using Kinect and other games taking full advantage of the hardware and not using it that much is the perfect compromise.

You can-t compromise your hardware on a single peripheral not everyone can use efficiently.

Personally I'm NOT okay with freeing up Kinect's resources if it means losing Kinect OS/multi-tasking functionality. You might not appreciate Kinect in your environment, but I do. Personally, if people don't like Kinect, I would think they would be much happier on another platform. MS has already compromised their system enough for people that weren't really interested in the platform before. Start compromising Kinect & the XB1 might as well be a PS4. One would think those would be happier spending $100 less on a product that already fits their needs.

Tommy McClain

Personally I'm NOT okay with freeing up Kinect's resources if it means losing Kinect OS/multi-tasking functionality. You might not appreciate Kinect in your environment, but I do. Personally, if people don't like Kinect, I would think they would be much happier on another platform. MS has already compromised their system enough for people that weren't really interested in the platform before. Start compromising Kinect & the XB1 might as well be a PS4. One would think those would be happier spending $100 less on a product that already fits their needs.

Tommy McClain
From what I could gather reading Eurogamer's article on the matter, the premise is that the GPU could be freed without compromising multitasking and they were working on it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

It's not a petition I made myself but Microsoft's own initiative, which seems correct to me because not all games are going to use Kinect functionalities because of gameplay reasons, technical reasons and so on.

They are also giving you the possibility to plug and unplug Kinect at will, when it was mandatory before.

As I said I like Kinect, and I have it powered all the time on the Xbox 360, but I think that reserving so much resources for it when it can't be universally used because of several reasons, isn't a good idea.

I find it's better to go with Microsoft's initiative. Whenever they can free up resources without removing unique functionalities, they will. The Xbox 360 has a very much optimised OS after all...

I was replying to Zed. ;)

Opss... sorry.

EDIT: Mark Rubin implying differences on power (we know it) but NDA's prevent him to talk about it:

GC: So is that something the new consoles can’t do or you just didn’t have time to implement it?

MR: No, it’s… well, you can do almost anything, almost. Tessellation can’t be done on current gen for the most part, because it’s a DirectX 11 feature, but we could still do it but you’d get a frame rate of 2. So that really becomes the reason we do everything: the reason the Xbox One is 720, the reason the PlayStation 4 is 1080 is we’re trying to make the game look as good as it possible can and making sure we maintain our 60 frames per second.

We maintain the latency and the speed and the things that people actually care about. Even if they won’t admit it, the thing that makes Call Of Duty popular is how it feels, because of those priorities.
http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-...-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

Last edited by a moderator:
Opss... sorry.

EDIT: Mark Rubin implying differences on power (we know it) but NDA's prevent him to talk about it:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-...-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/
This also confirms that, thankfully, both consoles aren't the same. The PS4 should be a tad more powerful overall, while the Xbox One perhaps will work better in certain, very specific scenarios?

I mean scenarios where the eSRAM can be useful. Say what sebbbi has explained here:

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1654196&postcount=32

(thanks to Urian for the link)

The Azure cloud has been the most unstable of all this year, with two complete outages due to poor partitioning. I seriously hope they've got it together with the XB Compute and haven't just inherited the same bad design as Azure has.

I would hazard a guess that if the cloud fails then all the games that are reliant on it will cease to work until it is back up. And depending on what OS functions are offloaded you could end up with the console that just won't work. That would suck.

No game will use cloud for compute so its an irrelevant discussion. Cloud will be used for multiplayer only.

The removal of the online requirement tells you that no one is going to use the cloud for anything other than online features. Devs, not even Microsoft ones, would make the effort to make two versions one that relies on the cloud and one that doesn't

No game will use cloud for compute so its an irrelevant discussion. Cloud will be used for multiplayer only. The removal of the online requirement tells you that no one is going to use the cloud for anything other than online features. Devs, not even Microsoft ones, would make the effort to make two versions one that relies on the cloud and one that doesn't

It seems some devs would disagree with you. Just look at The Crew and The Division, both are 'Always Online' experiences, regardless of whether you're playing on your own or not.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...believes-these-kind-of-experiences-are-great/

I firmly believe that there is a future in the cloud to enable devs to create larger and more persistent worlds.

They will not use cloud for compute jobs. Normal online stuff yeah sure they will use it, but that isn't the point I was responding to.

They will not use cloud for compute jobs. Normal online stuff yeah sure they will use it, but that isn't the point I was responding to.

Explain to me how NPC AI is not a compute job, because according to the article above Titanfall is using Xbox Live Compute to do that.

Tommy McClain

It seems some devs would disagree with you. Just look at The Crew and The Division, both are 'Always Online' experiences, regardless of whether you're playing on your own or not.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...believes-these-kind-of-experiences-are-great/

I firmly believe that there is a future in the cloud to enable devs to create larger and more persistent worlds.

How is that new? All MMOs are large persistent worlds. This is just a language problem, MS is calling everything 'cloud' where we used to have different terms for the various uses of online computers.

I would also be skeptical of any dev claim of 'cloud' use without something concrete, they are probably just using the appropriate buzzwords to make their overlords happy.

My reasons to buy Xbox One:

- The new UI, fast and beauty
- The new controller, it looks great
- Kinect and Smartglass integration
- My friends on Xbox Live
- The launch games, Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Crimson Dragon
- The future games, Halo, Quantum Break, TitanFall, the black tusk project, etc
- I love integration
In my case it's all about that, plus the integration of Xbox Live and how it works -I prefer it over Facebook, for instance-.

In addition, Xbox was my first console so brand loyalty is also a factor. The library of games is also very important. PlayStation and WiiU have Gran Turismo and F-Zero, respectively, which are basically first party titles I'd love to have on the Xbox. Other than that Xbox gets all my gaming needs pretty much covered, along with the PC.

Finally, I think the Americans have gotten it right this time around.

Unlike the original Xbox and -to a lesser extent- the Xbox 360, the Xbox One is a console with a strong, marked personality --like a Nintendo console, or the PS1 and PS2. It has soul to it, it's quite customised, and it isn't totally "typical".

In fact, brand personality wise, no other console of this next generation comes even close to the Xbox One, in my opinion.

For those who like to use Xbox Music, this is good news, since Xbox Music is going to be free for Gold users, and will have ad-supported streaming.
49Hp44i.png

Doesn't look like 360 users get the same benefit. :(

Tommy McClain
I don't know, I have using Xbox Music recently and listening to Sophie Ellis Bextor songs -among other artists, of course- pretty much freely and continuously. There was a subscription fee listed somewhere and they mentioned you could use Xbox Music for free as a gold member for a month before upgrading to a paid service, but I didn't register -including the free trial period- and even so I was listening to my favourite music at no additional cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back