News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell also claims Windows Phone runs Windows 8 Apps. Maybe in two years it will but now it requires major retooling despite hype

How much are you willing to be on that? I think we can pretty much confirm it. The CPU is x86 and the GPU uses AMD technology.

Besides that, this might have something to do with the news of Microsoft asking developers to use Direct3D and DirectX 11 across all platforms; Windows PCs, tablets, smartphones, and Xbox One.

It might also explain why the Xbox One can't be actually programmed to the metal, which I am glad for to be honest, because using one obscure feature which can be replicated somewhere else in the current system could break perfect backwards compatibility in the future.

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-urges-game-developers-to-use-direct3d-across-windows-pcs-and-tablets-windows-phone-and-xbox-one/

I agree about this being good for cross platform windows compatibility and futute backwards compatibility. There are some people taking this news and the no mantle compatibility as a confirmation that there is NO low level access to the gpu of the xbox one. Ive even seen statements saying that the xbox one will be the first console without a low level api.

People dont understand for some reason that the xbox one has its own unique version of direct x just like the original xbox and the xbox360 which does allow some low level access.
I know that it doesnt allow as much access to the metal as what sony's api but people take this like the xbox one is running straight up windows8 and directx 11.2 just like a home pc.

Dell also claims Windows Phone runs Windows 8 Apps. Maybe in two years it will but now it requires major retooling despite hype

I think this is only for the games\apps created using SharpDX

http://sharpdx.org/

The power of DirectX for .NET
SharpDX is an open-source project delivering the full DirectX API under the .Net platform, allowing the development of high performance game, 2D and 3D graphics rendering as well as realtime sound application.

SharpDX is built with a custom tool called SharpGen able to generate automatically a .NET API directly from the DirectX SDK headers, thus allowing a tight mapping with the native API while taking advantages of the great strength of the .Net ecosystem.

SharpDX is fully supporting all Windows platforms including latest Windows 8 Metro and Windows Phone 8. Easily develop multimedia applications for desktop, WinRT and Windows Phone with the same API!
SharpDX needs your vote for .NET on Xbox One!

July 26, 2013

Yesterday was announced that Xbox One will allow indie developers to easily publish games on Xbox One.

We have still very few details about the indie developer program on this platform, but in order to use SharpDX and have full DirectX access on this platform, we need to ensure that .NET will be accessible on this platform.

If you would like to be able to develop cross-platform games with .NET on all Windows Platforms including the Xbox One, please vote for this user voice feature request: Allow .NET games on Xbox One

This will allow SharpDX to provide a compelling game development alternative on Xbox One!

Thanks!
The SharpDX Team

How much are you willing to be on that? I think we can pretty much confirm it. The CPU is x86 and the GPU uses AMD technology.

I'd still like to wait and see until it's all officially confirmed. If it were 100%, then you'd think they would have notified all developers about that by now given that the console is so close to release. I don't doubt that it eventually will be, but I'm not sure about Microsoft's timeline. One thing which keeps me unsure is Windows Phone. You'd think they would have unified that by now given the army of coders they have, yet they are still looking at 2 years from now to unify the Windows Phone and RT app stores. That's absolute madness to me, they needed to have that done yesterday but apparently somehow they feel there is no competitive pressure out there. That ultimately makes me unsure of their timeline for XB1 running Windows 8 apps. You'd think they would support that from day 1, but seeing how they run Windows Phone really makes me unsure of how they will execute on XB1.

I'd still like to wait and see until it's all officially confirmed. If it were 100%, then you'd think they would have notified all developers about that by now given that the console is so close to release. I don't doubt that it eventually will be, but I'm not sure about Microsoft's timeline. One thing which keeps me unsure is Windows Phone. You'd think they would have unified that by now given the army of coders they have, yet they are still looking at 2 years from now to unify the Windows Phone and RT app stores. That's absolute madness to me, they needed to have that done yesterday but apparently somehow they feel there is no competitive pressure out there. That ultimately makes me unsure of their timeline for XB1 running Windows 8 apps. You'd think they would support that from day 1, but seeing how they run Windows Phone really makes me unsure of how they will execute on XB1.
It's not as simple as that. Windows phone, Xbox One, and Windows RT share the same kernel, but the OS Services are not the same across all three. At the least, if your app is C++ or another compiled language, you will need to recompile. In all cases, you will probably need to tune assets and interface options.

I would like to see them unifying the app stores too, but I'm guessing you'll get, at best, a subset of the full win8 store, and more likely a walled off section with bespoke apps.

I know you weren't. I'm saying you should have been. ;) When you said, "I dont see the EG article as one of those other emotional media articles," that view doesn't seem valid when it has such strong emotional content. If you accept there is strong emotional content, then you must accept that your original premise which started me yabbering was incorrect.

I said what I said because the points made were valid and explained regardless of any emotional content.

*AHEM*: Seriously what part about not bringing in trash from other forums is so impossibly hard to comprehend?

You might want to add that to the rules, technically posters at other forums are sources and the rules say:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=63195

All rumours/news articles have a source, and the integrity of all sources can be discussed. However, whenever such 'discussions' arise, they take over the actual intended discussion. Although ordinarily a little 'this site is/isn't to be trusted' is normal and healthy, some people are clearly so emotional that they have little interest in discussing anything other than such source prejudices when it comes to the consoles.

As such, it's deemed that consideration of a source's integrity is currently taboo. It's left to people to make their own minds up without sharing their wisdom here. If you wish to determine whether a site or source is to be trusted or not, you'll have to talk about it elsewhere or via PMs.

So which sources are banned, Gaf specifically?

Well we will know in a month if not sooner eh ? Seems to be interesting the patern that has developed. You get positive xbox news like titat fall in march... that is then down played and the mm we get the negative xbox rumor following closely

It's a rumor so far, but it seems believable tbh. Everyone knows IW aren't exactly the tops in technically proficient studios out there. If a proficient dev like Dice can only manage to do 900p or less for BF4, I don't think it's very out there to imagine Ghosts being 720p either, especially given the other rumors flying around about their development being racked with trouble for the Xbone version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back