News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or it's fake. The cost of the ram in that design would probably be close if not over $100 that's half the entire cost nearly.

8 gigs of ram is like 50 bucks on newegg. Now imagine buying it in bulk(and yet I know its not the same since it would be soldered to the board, but still, you get the picture). not sure about the esram/edram costs.

Kinect's wide-angle camera wouldn't be up to the job. Potentially MS could add a zoom camera on a motorised mount and track the eyes, but that's a lot of cost. You also have to consider the value of a system designed around a one-player experience for its intrinsic optimisations, especially if you bundle in Kinect for its social aspects.

What about kinect2 reading or inferring the skull position with ir, and the eyes position comparing the skull rotation with webcam for fast simple and not precise eye tracking?
It wouldn't work well in some condition and for some movement, but kinect doesn't either :p

8 gigs of ram is like 50 bucks on newegg. Now imagine buying it in bulk(and yet I know its not the same since it would be soldered to the board, but still, you get the picture). not sure about the esram/edram costs.

I can't find any DDR3 2133 on newegg. Regardless my point stands there no way that 3 SoC was anywhere the cost of 225 even with the cheaper slower ram.

What about kinect2 reading or inferring the skull position with ir, and the eyes position comparing the skull rotation with webcam for fast simple and not precise eye tracking?
It wouldn't work well in some condition and for some movement, but kinect doesn't either :p

For the researched foveated rendering that wouldn't be good enough. It is essential to track where the eyes are focused otherwise the entire thing falls apart.

Regards,
SB

I can't find any DDR3 2133 on newegg. Regardless my point stands there no way that 3 SoC was anywhere the cost of 225 even with the cheaper slower ram.

It pops right up on NewEgg when I search 2133 in memory:

NewEgg: $54

A google search immediately drops you in at Amazon:

Amazon: $50

And I don't know how much you think the chips cost but the BOM from the 350 era if I remember was between $40-$60 for the chips (which were 175-260mm^2).

I see no reason why a PCB, 8GB of DDR3, a ~350-400mm^2 SoC, case, power supply, HS&F, HDD, etc. should be over $250. We can see if GPUs with much more expensive GDDR5 with 200mm^2+ chips going for $150. Yes the chip is bigger (so double the chip up to $100, so $50 more) and you need a PS, Case, HDD but you are also cutting out a number of levels of profts from various vendors and retail as well.

And the SoC size will really depend on what technology they are using for the "ESRAM". Cape Verde was like ~130mm^2 and a Jaguar core and L2 is like 8mm^2 each (~70mm^2 for 8 cores). Durango could possibly fall under 250mm^2 of 1T-SRAM or some more compact memory format (e.g. eDRAM although that seems unlikely due to the process).

It pops right up on NewEgg when I search 2133 in memory:

NewEgg: $54

A google search immediately drops you in at Amazon:

Amazon: $50

And I don't know how much you think the chips cost but the BOM from the 350 era if I remember was between $40-$60 for the chips (which were 175-260mm^2).

I see no reason why a PCB, 8GB of DDR3, a ~350-400mm^2 SoC, case, power supply, HS&F, HDD, etc. should be over $250. We can see if GPUs with much more expensive GDDR5 with 200mm^2+ chips going for $150. Yes the chip is bigger (so double the chip up to $100, so $50 more) and you need a PS, Case, HDD but you are also cutting out a number of levels of profts from various vendors and retail as well.

And the SoC size will really depend on what technology they are using for the "ESRAM". Cape Verde was like ~130mm^2 and a Jaguar core and L2 is like 8mm^2 each (~70mm^2 for 8 cores). Durango could possibly fall under 250mm^2 of 1T-SRAM or some more compact memory format (e.g. eDRAM although that seems unlikely due to the process).

I was commenting purely on the 3 SoC rumour

according to the Yukon pdf, the estimated cost was about $225 bucks, and that's a 3xSoc design.

They would be making a profit even at a $249 pricepoint. I think you are over-estimating the cost of the parts that is going to be in the Durango.

From what we have seen of the gpu, if legitimate, is very comparable to a HD7770. Very inexpensive GPU, especially if MS would be buying parts in bulk + the removal of unnecessary stuff like vram.

The yukon pdf is several years old, you cant accurately predict the cost of parts 4 years into the future, you can make a target range but that doesnt mean they kept it, not everything in the recent leaks match up with the yukon pdf, why should cost be the thing that does match?

Well of course i know the answer to that, it fits in with your multiple SKU theory

The yukon pdf is several years old, you cant accurately predict the cost of parts 4 years into the future, you can make a target range but that doesnt mean they kept it, not everything in the recent leaks match up with the yukon pdf, why should cost be the thing that does match?

Well of course i know the answer to that, it fits in with your multiple SKU theory

No different than you assuming the leaked parts/specs wouldn't allow for a $299 or lower priced console.

No different than you assuming the leaked parts/specs wouldn't allow for a $299 or lower priced console.

Im assuming that if Microsoft engineers wanted to target consumers that only cared about light gaming, they would have chosen less exotic hardware for the entry level sku and made much more profit.

But there is a difference between my assumption and yours, im basing mine on leaked info, you are basing yours on nothing, no devkits for Xbox Next 2, no developers whispering there is a 2nd beastly version coming, no AMD engineers roomates mentioning a 2nd upgraded SKU, nada

Its about as realistic as the secret sauce that will turn it into a desktop 7970 or the ray tracing theory.

Either the 2nd enthusiast SKU is several years away or it doesnt exist

For the researched foveated rendering that wouldn't be good enough. It is essential to track where the eyes are focused otherwise the entire thing falls apart.

I really don't know what I'm talking about, but remember a tech demo made by a modder with a simple wii remote, and that worked well enough
By skull and eyes position kinect2 can infer where the player is looking and give a "good enough" experience
I'm thinking more about change camera position based on the position of the head than using eyes as a mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back