News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about the light shafts interfering with the overall look. Obviously the game is fine for colour when the sun is off-screen.

I don't, I do really like HDR and light flare effects, I don't like grayish games.

Sorry, I should have added that when the light flare causes the road to not be seen it is going to far and I wish they would stop that. When I am racing I can control that through a range of visors, it is critical to see the road and any possible spinning vehicles (it hurts to hit those oddly).

I guess it would be cool to let you pick a visor for the in-car modes!

While writing my long post in the business approach topic, I thought of something - with the DRM and 24-hour-online-checkin in place - what are the odds that Microsoft will (can) offer game rentals offered by download? Pay (no idea what games cost in the US, so these are just examples) $15 for a one day rental, $20 for a week, $30 for a month? Automatic expiration handled by the system.

This could be a huge market. If it works for movies, why not for games? Of course, games usually don't get completed in a day or week (sometimes, I require a month for a 20+ hour game), but this might make sense for some as they might think they are getting the game at cheaper price. If they rent it twice, or three times, they might end up paying more than if they had bought the game in full. Or they could have mechanism that provided the ability to buy the rental by simply paying the difference? On the other hand - it might generate more sales since you could get the games effectively cheaper for a day to check out if it's worthwhile or not.

This might be relevant to Sony as well, though I think the security is a lot more bulletproof if you actually had an online verification system, rather than a system that can work offline. Just an idea. Has anything like this been proposed, presented in any form yet?

While writing my long post in the business approach topic, I thought of something - with the DRM and 24-hour-online-checkin in place - what are the odds that Microsoft will (can) offer game rentals offered by download? Pay (no idea what games cost in the US, so these are just examples) $15 for a one day rental, $20 for a week, $30 for a month? Automatic expiration handled by the system.

This could be a huge market. If it works for movies, why not for games? Of course, games usually don't get completed in a day or week (sometimes, I require a month for a 20+ hour game), but this might make sense for some as they might think they are getting the game at cheaper price. If they rent it twice, or three times, they might end up paying more than if they had bought the game in full. Or they could have mechanism that provided the ability to buy the rental by simply paying the difference? On the other hand - it might generate more sales since you could get the games effectively cheaper for a day to check out if it's worthwhile or not.

This might be relevant to Sony as well, though I think the security is a lot more bulletproof if you actually had an online verification system, rather than a system that can work offline. Just an idea. Has anything like this been proposed, presented in any form yet?

Some of us have speculated that rentals might be the reason that the check-in period was extended to 24 hours (versus what was previously rumored) and no longer just for the purposes of allowing digital game rentals in the future.

Also, while I haven't rented a game in years, it used to be that for 2.50-4.00 USD you could rent a console game for anywhere from 1 to 3 days depending on the rental shop.

If it's something along those lines it's a cheap way to game for people that say dedicate a day or two to gaming. Or a cheap way to check out a game without demo limitations (timed or limited content) before deciding whether to buy it.

Something like a COD SP game could easily be completed in a day or two for some people, and that still gives enough time to try out the MP to see if you want to buy the game for the MP.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure game rentals on demand warrant 24h check-in. PSN (and other services of course) provide movie rentals without an always on requirement. An internal clock separate from the system time-and-date is all that's needed. Save files with a timestamp based on this absolute time and refuse access after that time + time-limit.

I'm not sure game rentals on demand warrant 24h check-in. PSN (and other services of course) provide movie rentals without an always on requirement. An internal clock separate from the system time-and-date is all that's needed. Save files with a timestamp based on this absolute time and refuse access after that time + time-limit.

I've wondered about that. I know on PC with rentals that do not check online at the time you start the rental, you can easily fool it by messing with the system clock.

For a movie rental that's no big deal. If you watch the movie once, you've watched it. There's no need to extend your viewing period.

Either way however, I don't think there's any VOD services available on PC anymore that do rentals without an online check to verify you are still within your rental period. If you don't have an online connection, you can't view your rental.

For a game, however, there's a lot of benefits to extending your rental. A game with an average 20 hour SP campaign, for example. Or something like Skyrim.

I suppose a game could keep track of exactly how much time a player has spent playing the game regardless of what the system clock was reporting. But 24 hours of in game playtime could be anything from a couple days to 2-3 weeks for some people.

Anyone that goes through the trouble of physically disconnecting their console from the internet regularly would likely have no trouble manipulating the system time in order to extend a rental.

Regards,
SB

I specifically avoided using the system time in my example for that very reason. You just need an always on, uninterruptible hardware clock, counting how many milliseconds since the console was manufactured (a 64 bit counter will be enough to count hundreds of millions of years) and you have a secure reference point that can only be circumvented through hardware hacks (or a complete hack of the OS/media software, which is a risk with any system). System time is just a value using that clock as a reference point. Coupled with a unique system ID, it should be straight forward to create a secure key on the server to validate any demo within a time limit from system clock.

Oh, and as for PC services, I know the BBC iPlayer has time-limited downloadble content. Dunno if it's tied to system time. That may use an online check.

The problem isn't renting. There hasn't been any mention of renting from MS. It was just an idea floated by Phil which I don't think requires online checks to implement.

I can only speak to my personal use manner of use when it comes to game rentals, but that is not how I use them at all anymore. 15 years ago, or more, sure. Something like you described. Now I use them more as an extended preview. 2$ at Redbox, 24 hours, and for the most part I have found that I only need a couple of hours with them. If the game is good enough (offers replay value and/or a long campaign) I will simply purchase it. If that model is going away then making choices is going to be far more difficult. Certainly I would not pay 15$ for a one day rental.

The problem isn't renting. There hasn't been any mention of renting from MS. It was just an idea floated by Phil which I don't think requires online checks to implement.

Yeah. I don't see why it should be required either, but on the other hand, having online-checks makes this probably easier if you sell the idea to publishers that you may offer such a service. I was more thinking of scenarios where if the console ever were to be hacked, that you don't create a bottom-less pit of where you can rent games at daily rates and play them forever. The idea of renting isn't exclusive to the 24-hour-online-checks, just something that I thought might make it tie in better/easier to make a more robust DRM controlled environment.

I'm actually not keen on such a renting model at all for myself - although, I couldn't care one way or the other. I don't even sell or trade-in my games, though reading this forum, it's apparent there are many folks that do. So I thought the renting model done purely with digital content could be a serious win, especially if you wanted to reach a wider audience that may be willing to pay a little to check it out.

If you look at the Anroid App store, they have the option that you can delete apps after 15 minutes and get a redund if you're not happy with it. I guess you could do the same for games (perhaps a hour grace period?) and I think such a system would work really well. More sales for publishers in the end.

It's one of the reasons why I've bought so many games on the Android app store - or the ability to pre-test apps for free. And going by the recent piracy topic, it seems there are quite a few people outthere that pirate for the sake of pre-testing. There's obviously a market for this kind of usage...

Aren't both Sony and MS going to provide 1 hour demos? AFAIK that's the case with Lvie Gold anyhow. Sony suggested using Gaikai for that, which isn't available for launch, so maybe not.

Microsoft hasn't talked about demos on Xbox One yet. Demos on Xbox 360 are not usually timed. They're usually based on limited content. Live Indie games are timed, I think they are 4 minutes now, but they were 8 minutes. BTW, Games On Demand do not have demos built-in. They are identical to the disc. Publishers may release a separate demo though.

Tommy McClain

Aren't both Sony and MS going to provide 1 hour demos? AFAIK that's the case with Lvie Gold anyhow. Sony suggested using Gaikai for that, which isn't available for launch, so maybe not.

Sony has had one hour demos for several years now for Plus members. Start the game, and then you can play unlimited for one hour. Then it's over (clock runs from staring the game, shutting it off pausing the game or whatever has no influence). It was available for several games, but of course the downside was you ave to ownlad the full game first. Upside is if you liked it, you could unlock and continue immediately.

This system is likely to benefit from progressive downloads while playing for next gen..

Sony distinguishes between demos and trials, one is a different SKU with limited content, the other is the full game with a time limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back