News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is gaf really worth posting in to go through the trouble and going back? This is a lot of stuff just for a forum with very little intelligence from my experience. A few posters there are informed and calm but most of it seems to be drama and fanboyism.

Low signal to noise ratio for sure, and gets worse as it gets bigger, but it's still the biggest and most informed gaming forum out there.

There is big difference between being part of the console from launch to relying on a patch to make it work. I don't trust Sony nor Microsoft enough to rely on them to serve the good of the gamers unless they make money by doing it. And unless it's something they planned to do i simply don't expect them to implement it at a later stage. I hope some of all the "tech sites" asks Microsoft the right questions.
If xbox lives onto more generations, they will need to not piss people off to get sales. I doubt they will abandon everything completely. I have no much a problem with online connection. I don't mind it much. I am use to steam and PC I guess.

Low signal to noise ratio for sure, and gets worse as it gets bigger, but it's still the biggest and most informed gaming forum out there.
I find some threads are worth reading but ultimately posting doesn't seem that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm understanding this correctly there are actually a few different potential scenarios:

1. License Transfer: A complete transfer of the license in which case the game is no longer available to the original holder. Transfer fee involved or a direct de-activation then re-activation (no charge as if you're gifting/second handing the game)?
  2. Additional License: Original license holder and a new user both installed the game from the same disc. New user has to pay to play that installed copy. Original user still maintains license. Sounds like a full new game price for the new user if I'm reading correctly.
  3. Single User | Multiple Consoles: The same user with multiple consoles will apparently have no issues. The question is the number of supported activations and if the game can be played at the same time on each console. This should (could) work for friend sharing too.

They just abandoned all your digital Xbox 360 sales from transitioning over to the new platform. What makes you think they care if you're able to play your content in another 8 years? (playing devil's advocate of course, but still hurts a little).

Tommy McClain

If I'm understanding this correctly there are actually a few different potential scenarios:

1. License Transfer: A complete transfer of the license in which case the game is no longer available to the original holder. Transfer fee involved or a direct de-activation then re-activation (no charge as if you're gifting/second handing the game)?
  2. Additional License: Original license holder and a new user both installed the game from the same disc. New user has to pay to play that installed copy. Original user still maintains license. Sounds like a full new game price for the new user if I'm reading correctly.
  3. Single User | Multiple Consoles: The same user with multiple consoles will apparently have no issues. The question is the number of supported activations and if the game can be played at the same time on each console. This should (could) work for friend sharing too.

This sounds like a good overview of what we know. On the last one it seems they will allow free installs on multiple consoles in the same household. Outside the household is where they make you pay.

Tommy McClain

I'm not sure the PS4 will get away with used software if the new Xbox truly requires a license transfer. In a sense publishers would be asking one platform's users to subsidize another platforms users which would not sit will with those coming up short. Perhaps we need a little more info to draw any strong conclusions....

seriously whatever Xbox1 does on used and licensing will most likely be industry accepted for the PS4

FWIW today's back and forth on Twitter and other places suggest to me at least that all this isn't sorted out yet between the manufacturers and the content creators.

Further both platforms have been rather coy with the details which suggest some things are 'still to be determined' and or they are waiting for E3 and the hype of games to make some this go down easier.....

I'm not sure the PS4 will get away with used software if the new Xbox truly requires a license transfer. In a sense publishers would be asking one platform's users to subsidize another platforms users which would not sit will with those coming up short. Perhaps we need a little more info to draw any strong conclusions....
Sony also mentioned game installs. I have no doubt they, too, will have a system similar to this.

Sony also mentioned game installs. I have no doubt they, too, will have a system similar to this.

This makes sense to me

Edit:

does anyone have a rough formulae/estimate for what the average game budget should increase by for this next generation? I think it should also be noted that for the next 18 months or so its reasonable to expect most developers will launching their titles on PS3, PS4, 360, One, PC and possibly Vita/3DS. I'm not going to include WiiU but for many it would be logical to expect support for that platform as well. That has to increase cost, the question is can it be estimated with any good rule of thumb?

Should we make a launch titles thread in the Games forum? Here's a quick list I was able to come up with...

• Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
  • Battlefield 4
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Destiny
  • EA Sports: FIFA 14
  • EA Sports: Madden 25
  • EA Sports: NBA Live 14
  • EA Sports: UFC
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Quantum Break
  • Thief
  • Watch Dogs

These were are confirmed today. Any others?

Tommy McClain

This makes sense to me

Edit:

does anyone have a rough formulae/estimate for what the average game budget should increase by for this next generation? I think it should also be noted that for the next 18 months or so its reasonable to expect most developers will launching their titles on PS3, PS4, 360, One, PC and possibly Vita/3DS. I'm not going to include WiiU but for many it would be logical to expect support for that platform as well. That has to increase cost, the question is can it be estimated with any good rule of thumb?

I remember Sony making it clear that it's up to the publishers to control that as they wish, and Sony themselves won't be doing any of that.

It's a good move from Sony to offload any responsibilities (and possible lawsuits) to the publisher and not themselves.

And I am pretty confident there will be lawsuits as this business model probably won't go well in certain countries.

Ohhh that sounds nice.. So basicly, if i have the disc and my Console is offline, i got no internet, it's the year 2030 and the XBOX One servers are offline i pop in my shiny disc and the XBOX One plays the game?

See that would be freaking nice. When i am offline i need the disc to validate i have the game, when i am online i can play it as long as the activation servers lets me.

Please tell me this is true?

EDIT: Of course this means that in theory for every "used" game there can be ONE person playing the same game offline.. acceptable i guess, and enough of a hassle to not make it a problem.

Stupid me, of course this would not work since it's just like it is today. You own the disc, you can play. Oh well it was fun while it lasted, my investment in games will be a bare minimum if they treat me this way.

Confirmed? Official trailer is pretty badly compressed on youtube so it's hard to tell.

official pics from gamersyde are in 1080, but the footage is in 720p on their site.
http://gamersyde.com/news_xo_forza_motorsport_5_announced-14069_en.html

made a simple snap shot comparison of the two.

screen shot
avlwqw.jpg

video capture
2eft4c2.jpg

i don't think anyone's going to gain much detail on the edges from either sources.

--------------------------

after all's been said and done i was hoping for some ground breaking stuff at some point in Microsoft's presentation. a few things were pretty interesting though ultimately i thought based on their demonstration, that with just an hour of your time they can show you how well they can rip their company apart... seriously the media and spectators are just having a frenzy out of this reveal, even the xbox community.

however, I hope with the clock speeds and GPU left out they can make some sort of increase based on loose figure translations. but as it stands VG247 was dead on and Microsoft made an obvious pause for 3 months kicking them selves over the leaks.

Should we make a launch titles thread in the Games forum? Here's a quick list I was able to come up with...

• Battlefield 4
  • Destiny
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Quantum Break
  • Thief
  • Watch Dogs

Tommy McClain

They said they will have 15 games in development 8 of which are new IPs but I don't recall seeing anything specifically Kinect related......... Kinda curious what that was about.

• Battlefield 4
  • Destiny
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Quantum Break
  • Thief
  • Watch Dogs

Tommy McClain

Those haven't all been confirmed as launch games. Destiny is 2014, isn't it?

Those haven't all been confirmed as launch games. Destiny is 2014, isn't it?

Oops.. Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should just change that to Xbox One games & not specifically launch. BTW, I also think the EA Sports titles are supposed to be launched within a year. Considering they were all pre-rendered it don't surprise me.

Tommy McClain

They said they will have 15 games in development 8 of which are new IPs but I don't recall seeing anything specifically Kinect related......... Kinda curious what that was about.

Yeah, I'm thinking they only wanted to show core games today. I suspected Kinect & other 1st party titles would be better suited at E3.

Tommy McClain

I expect that the main thing today is "developers, developers, developers". I think they will go all in with the "open" store model (similar to Windows 8 and Windows Phone) and that they will announce stuff like support for Unity. I see this as the first major console which will target the indie developers in addition to the big studios.

I also suspect that the "apps on TV" will be the next big thing and Microsoft are in a great position to take a dominant position on that market.

Well, that didn't happen yesterday but maybe it'll happen on Build. Mary Jo Foley from ZDNet is reporting that "However, Microsoft didn't say anything about the developer story for Xbox One today, presumably because that is going to be a big part of the messaging at the company's Build 2013 conference at the end of June."

Meaning, the Build could be split between Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbox One (+ Azure) development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back