News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
man these game reveals could not be any bigger for xbox. it seems like people on forums are really selling these short perhaps because of a sony bias.

i mean, respawn's new shooter (rumored exclusive), cod ghosts, now fifa? it's borderline ridiculous. how do you even get ea and activision allied on the same console? how do you get next gen fifa revealed on xbox when the game sells better on playstation/europe even? i think if this type of power had been at the PlayStation reveal people on forums would be more or less writing the new xbox's obituary en masse.

i'd say if this were some kind of a football game the early score is like 21-0 xbox.

Next-Gen FIFA tomorrow

BKuZz_pCcAEPApX.jpg:large

Awesome. I'm guessing there's going to be some Kinect in that demo, expanding on what they did with FIFA 13.

Illumiroom could never work in my room, so it is hard for me toget excited about it ... I am more excited about Kinect. If they get it to work right and support it right, it should be pretty awesome. The first version is full of unrealised potential ...

Illumiroom it would never work well in my room either but I too think that Kinect 2.0 could be something special.

Ilumiroom wouldn't work that well in my room either, depending on how you have to set it up.

Today is cold war day it seems, 'cos Sony have teased the PS4 the day before the Xbox reveal.

I would have to move to have a suitable inillumiroom environment since ATM no room in my house could offer me a enjoyable solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
500$ is really on ? How advanced is Kinect2 ? I can't believe they sold Kinect for 150$ and now it is 100. But even if Kinect2 around 150-200$ :???: It is adding so much price to 720. That will turn off people those who are not even too interested in Kinect2.

umm, who knows. it comes from paul thurrot only. i have my doubts but it's surely a data point.

thurott also said we were going to get a subsidized version and now today he says we arent.

and kinect probably cost like 20-30 bucks. you do know ms sells controllers for 60 and 250gb hard drives for 129 right? you can buy a 500gb hdd for 59 dollars.

thurott also said we were going to get a subsidized version and now today he says we arent.

Maybe its just not in tomorrow's event as they won't be discussing pricing, but will be covered when full pricing details are revealed at E3 or later. I believe all he said was that it was out for tomorrow, not that its out forever.

I would assume pricing is out for E3 as well. You don't launch pricing details at E3, especially before you have a chance to talk to your channel partners. That's what E3 has always been about: a business meeting with channel partners usually behind closed doors. I'll be surprised if we hear pricing for the next gen before September.

Tommy McClain

Why do I want to is the question you should ask yourself. Consoles are granted gatekeeper environments by their users and developers because both sides have the perception that they got a fair deal.

I've always perceived the Wii as a moral hazard to this perception because its gimmick made it a lightning in the bottle while breaking the implied "contract". At least the Wii-U now shows that you can try to bend the rules for a time but karma is still there to deliver the punishment.

Because consoles are adding features and utility that don't have a natural return of profits like games. Its was nice to have console given to us at cost because the licensing fees generated from games sales were considered so potentially profitable that hardware profits weren't a concern. Profitable enough that its impact on hardware created a willingness to accept providing hardware at a loss.

Now consoles are packing in all type features that have cost that can't be recovered easily. You have Sony providing free online service for its whole userbase that represent ongoing costs that can only be recovered by a fraction of its userbase who subscribe to PSN plus or the games licensing fees. Fees that have alot more pressure because they are used to subsidize more than the R&D, manufacturing, distribution and marketing of the hardware. What does an app like Netflix offers a company like Sony? Its maybe attractive to the userbase but it competes against games for console time and its use produces wear and tear on the product while the majority of the profits from that use are enjoyed by Netflix.

It should be telling that the only gaming manufacturer who is probably able to survive strictly as a gaming business is the one that hasn't engaged in the practice of high cost hardware and aggressive expansion of its feature set. The loss seen by Sony and the limited profits that MS might have seen don't warrant the level of investment and risk undertaking by manufacturing consoles. High risk low reward is not an attractive business model. The growing feature set is actually discouraging the ideal of providing hardware at a loss. What happens to MS when its console becomes so feature rich that it can be heavily used without the user ever buying any games for it.

The Wii U isn't failing because its lack of hardware performance which doesn't warrant its price tag. Nintendo failed because of its ongoing failure to fully embrace third party pubs and its inability to provide the level of first party support to a product brand who reputation is mostly built on its first party offerings. Wii sales started to fail when its game offerings started to thin, which has affected Nintendo's new generation of products.

Gamers, publishers and console manufacturers enter into a business relationship with each other. A healthy relationship is one where all parties are happy with their returns on their investment. You can't expect consoles to maintain a growing list of features while doing so at no cost to the userbase that will readily make use of them.

If you so pressed to maintain an implied "contract" based on an archaic profit/sales model maybe you should buy a Wii U as Nintendo is the least progressive when it comes to moving beyond the simplistic nature of yesteryear consoles. Cheap hardware at cheap prices that provides an experience with a narrow set of functionality are a reality of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
man these game reveals could not be any bigger for xbox. it seems like people on forums are really selling these short perhaps because of a sony bias.

i mean, respawn's new shooter (rumored exclusive), cod ghosts, now fifa? it's borderline ridiculous. how do you even get ea and activision allied on the same console? how do you get next gen fifa revealed on xbox when the game sells better on playstation/europe even? i think if this type of power had been at the PlayStation reveal people on forums would be more or less writing the new xbox's obituary en masse.

i'd say if this were some kind of a football game the early score is like 21-0 xbox.

Multiplats are nothing to talk about imo...they will be/should be bought on PC anyway :)

Hope that they show some megaton exclusives!! And please...no boring racing games...

It's been comical. Microsoft has to have superior hardware, twice as many exclusives and they better not talk about Kinect or any other device OR ELSE! :devilish:

Also taking into consideration that any additional memory is a waste, move engines that don't actually move anything (LOL!) , and esram that does nothing more than take up space and heat things up to a boiling point. :LOL:

It's okay though, I'm still having fun with all of this. And by this time tomorrow we should have most of this sorted.

Hyperbole much? :LOL:

Promising EA or Activision your world stage is called free advertising, it is not hard to understand why they would do it. They are both multiplatform games. I'd like to hear something about some new IPs, I've never played FIFA and don't care about COD. Give me something novel that does not include Kinect.

Hyperbole much? :LOL:

Promising EA or Activision your world stage is called free advertising, it is not hard to understand why they would do it. They are both multiplatform games. I'd like to hear something about some new IPs, I've never played FIFA and don't care about COD. Give me something novel that does not include Kinect.

these reveals really arent getting the credit they deserve imo.

anyways its nice you dont care about fifa and cod, cant say i do that much either, but they're the number 1 and 2 best selling games in the world.

but for me it's hard to believe

-ea and activision seemingly pimping the same console

-fifa that sells better in europe and thus on playstation somehow getting a next gen reveal on xbox

Promising EA or Activision your world stage is called free advertising, it is not hard to understand why they would do it.

but they werent at the ps4 reveal...

and yeah, these wont be exclusive, so maybe the real impact is limited, but it's still impressive imo.

Also taking into consideration that any additional memory is a waste, move engines that don't actually move anything (LOL!) , and esram that does nothing more than take up space and heat things up to a boiling point. :LOL:

dont forget a much weaker console that is somehow going to cost more than the other guys :LOL:

these reveals really arent getting the credit they deserve imo.

anyways its nice you dont care about fifa and cod, cant say i do that much either, but they're the number 1 and 2 best selling games in the world.

but for me it's hard to believe

-ea and activision seemingly pimping the same console

-fifa that sells better in europe and thus on playstation somehow getting a next gen reveal on xbox

but they werent at the ps4 reveal...

and yeah, these wont be exclusive, so maybe the real impact is limited, but it's still impressive imo.

Just in case you forgot, while good, this isn't the E3 event.

gaf is doing some light speculating mgs5 too based on this tweet

TdwSqUG.png

and i've seen some posts about league of legends, i dont even know the details.

even if they had all these i expect they'd save some for e3. and kojima's tweet's probably about e3 imo.

Now consoles are packing in all type features that have cost that can't be recovered easily. You have Sony providing free online service for its whole userbase that represent ongoing costs that can only be recovered by a fraction of its userbase who subscribe to PSN plus or the games licensing fees. Fees that have alot more pressure because they are used to subsidize more than the R&D, manufacturing, distribution and marketing of the hardware. What does an app like Netflix offers a company like Sony? Its maybe attractive to the userbase but it competes against games for console time and its use produces wear and tear on the product while the majority of the profits from that use are enjoyed by Netflix.

It should be telling that the only gaming manufacturer who is probably able to survive strictly as a gaming business is the one that hasn't engaged in the practice of high cost hardware and aggressive expansion of its feature set. The loss seen by Sony and the limited profits that MS might have seen don't warrant the level of investment and risk undertaking by manufacturing consoles. High risk low reward is not an attractive business model. The growing feature set is actually discouraging the ideal of providing hardware at a loss. What happens to MS when its console becomes so feature rich that it can be heavily used without the user ever buying any games for it.

That problem is easy to solve. Either not offer pointless options beyond the scope of the product(Apple's way) or only make that function available by buying it from the shop. Isn't that a fair deal? Personally I really don't care for netflix and all that extra rot on a device with a power profile which doesn't make this economic at the local power prices.

The Wii U isn't failing because its lack of hardware performance which doesn't warrant its price tag. Nintendo failed because of its ongoing failure to fully embrace third party pubs and its inability to provide the level of first party support to a product brand who reputation is mostly built on its first party offerings. Wii sales started to fail when its game offerings started to thin, which has affected Nintendo's new generation of products.

I talk here about my personal perception. I thought the Wii was a complete rip off because *I* perceived it as a slightly tweaked GC in a different casing, new inputs and 3 times the price.

Gamers, publishers and console manufacturers enter into a business relationship with each other. A healthy relationship is one where all parties are happy with their returns on their investment. You can't expect consoles to maintain a growing list of features while doing so at no cost to the userbase that will readily make use of them.

Gotcha. I don't expect consoles to grow a list of features to assemble
B000R0JDSI.jpg

because it's not efficient. Over engineering something only because you need to add something for yet another revision I regard as a blind end.

If you so pressed to maintain an implied "contract" based on an archaic profit/sales model maybe you should buy a Wii U as Nintendo is the least progressive when it comes to moving beyond the simplistic nature of yesteryear consoles. Cheap hardware at cheap prices that provides an experience with a narrow set of functionality are a reality of the past.

I wouldn't buy a Wii-U because I don't perceive their offer in any way attractive. I thought I made that clear:)

dont forget a much weaker console that is somehow going to cost more than the other guys :LOL:

You know there's a possibility that even if Microsoft checks all the boxes (hardware, games, etc) like they're supposed to, people will still be whining about something that they didn't do. And THAT thing will become the downfall of the Xbox platform.

I guess all Sony has to do is show up to E3 and automatically be declared the winner. Alright don't anybody get worked up about that, it's just a joke. ;)

I agree that COD reveals and Fifa are being heavily undervalued. This are monstrous reveals to have at the reveal of your new system. I'm not all that excited about COD, but I love Fifa to death. The point is many people the world over go nuts over those two franchises, and to have them both appear at your console's reveal conference, almost as if your console is the preferred target hardware for these titles, is no small or insignificant thing.

Microsoft is smart. They doing what gets the most attention possible. They are going for as loud a reveal as possible, and while some new exclusives may get hardcore gamers going nuts, they won't generate the same degree of press and mainstream excitement as the likes of Fifa and COD at your console's unveiling. And who knows what else they may have planned. As they said, E3 is all about games, tons of exclusives and world premiers. The reveal event is about the team behind the system, the vision for system and then they'll also be teasing some games also, but they're saving up to make the bigger splash for hardcore gamers at E3. I don't see what's wrong with that.

If people believe that Sony didn't more or less do the same thing, then they need to take a harder look at the Sony event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back