News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does the blogger think the rumor is valid or just repeating? I'm kinda starting to suspect the dual GPU has merit though...but not as just dual GPUs.

Take 16 Xenon cores and tweak them like Larrabee. Target 2 bytes/thread/cycle like Intel.

16 cores x 4ghz x 4thread x 2bytes = 512gb/s

Stick two of these baby "IBM Larrabees" in the console and you get the Rambus projection of 1TB/s needed for next-gen consoles.

Let's assume MS wants ti sell HW they break even on at $299 retail. How much more could MS fit than an A8-3850 and 7670 GPU? I am not saying I want the dumpy HW being discussed for a potential 2013-2020 console, but given the above criteria there isn't a lot of wiggle room, especially if TDP is emphasized.

One thing we hear a lot is how consoles tend to OVER engineer for past mistakes. MS tossed a ton of fillrate bandwidth into the 360 because the Xbox lacked there. The GCN had really low latency memory because the N64 had really poor latency. Could not a response to the RRoD being to be stricter on TDP (which ironically if a bump-gate like issue is mostly irrelevant to the final meltdown as it is the expansion between cooling/heating that kills it).

I'm thinking experience working with lead free solder since the launch has probably mitigated or removed most of the potential pitfalls that plagued the early X360 and PS3 in the form of RROD/YLOD. So I'm not sure that's an area they'll be focusing on.

Although I'm sure they'll try to make the next Xbox more robust, I don't see anything that could trip them up as much as that.

The biggest factor when it comes to needing to keep TDP down is the noise and cost of an appropriate cooling system.

Regards,
SB

Does the blogger think the rumor is valid or just repeating? I'm kinda starting to suspect the dual GPU has merit though...but not as just dual GPUs.

Take 16 Xenon cores and tweak them like Larrabee. Target 2 bytes/thread/cycle like Intel.

Stick two of these baby "IBM Larrabees" in the console and you get the Rambus projection of 1TB/s needed for next-gen consoles.
What is that calculation? Means nothing really.
Larrabee design is really unlikely but a 16 core @4GHz larrabee like it's sq. "really unlikely".

Let's assume MS wants ti sell HW they break even on at $299 retail.

That's an assumption I'm simply not willing to make, are you?

I don't see any reason why MS would believe they have a need to break even on the hardware at launch. Let alone at $299. I fully expect the successor to the 360 to be priced at $399. Whether they have some stripped down version that is offered at a lower price is possible, but wasn't it reported that during launch MS lost more money on the "core" $299 version than they did on the $399?

So two assumptions I don't agree with: 1) that MS is planning a successor to the 360 with the goal of hitting a break even point at launch and 2) that MS is planning a successor that's main sku would be priced at $299.

Frankly, I'd be less surprised if MS priced it over $399 and made a push for having the clearly most powerful console. As long as they don't push it to $700, they won't encounter a 3DO situation.

I fully expect the successor to the 360 to be priced at $399.

That is the most likely launch price. MS has been very very careful to make sure there has always been an SKU available at the 399 USD price point so that consumers are always used to seeing an Xbox available for 399 USD.

So when the next generation rolls around and it comes out at 399 USD, noone will be surprised or think MS is overcharging.

The question is whether 399 USD will be the top end model or the low end model. I'm willing to bet it'll be the top end. But I can see an argument for a higher priced premium/limited edition console.

Regards,
SB

What is that calculation? Means nothing really.
Larrabee design is really unlikely but a 16 core @4GHz larrabee like it's sq. "really unlikely".

Tim Sweeney argues 1 byte of memory bandwidth per flop.
Intel stated the goal of Larrabee was 2 bytes of read/write bandwidth per flop.

The point is besides cache, the system memory bandwidth can be achieved to have teraflop chips.

16flops per clock x 16cores x 4000 clock = a terraflop chip

The 360 had 3 of the cores clocked at 3.2ghz...on a modern process a 800mhz increase to 4ghz seems reachable.

2 of these chips would achieve less than the 2.5 terraflop goal Tim Sweeney stated, but they would be fully programmable.

As far costs to make such a chip, Microsoft could just offer IBM royalties and not bother with ATI. Although all the rumors constantly mention ATI so I'm not sure. Heck I'm not sure of the 16 core thing anyway, but thats the fun of speculation.

This is back from 2009.
graphics.cs.williams.edu/archive/SweeneyHPG2009/TimHPG2009.pdf

Tim Sweeney argues 1 byte of memory bandwidth per flop.
Intel stated the goal of Larrabee was 2 bytes of read/write bandwidth per flop.

The point is besides cache, the system memory bandwidth can be achieved to have teraflop chips.

16flops per clock x 16cores x 4000 clock = a terraflop chip

The 360 had 3 of the cores clocked at 3.2ghz...on a modern process a 800mhz increase to 4ghz seems reachable.

2 of these chips would achieve less than the 2.5 terraflop goal Tim Sweeney stated, but they would be fully programmable.

As far costs to make such a chip, Microsoft could just offer IBM royalties and not bother with ATI. Although all the rumors constantly mention ATI so I'm not sure. Heck I'm not sure of the 16 core thing anyway, but thats the fun of speculation.

This is back from 2009.
graphics.cs.williams.edu/archive/SweeneyHPG2009/TimHPG2009.pdf
That's a different calculation altogether than this one:
Anyway 4Ghz is unlikely even Intel don't get there.
As for Sweeney I think he speaks of plain FLOPS (ie4TFLOPS) not specifically FMA or FMAC.
He gives a ball park figure assuming X operation per pixel/vertex, etc.
4GHz won't happen that's sure.

For a throughput design going this far (16 wide SIMD) I find it unlikely. At this stage it may be better to do the calculations on the GPU.

THe thing I don't get in all that rumors is that now the heavy lifting in Kinect is done by the GPU.
I wonder why MS would move that to the CPU and sacrifice four cores.
It's possible that MS want to avoid as much as possible GPGPU programming as it's time extensive?

That could be a reason to stick to throughput design in next generation. Still 16 wide SIMDs sounds like pushing it.

I'm surprised with this 16 cores rumor so far I don't know what to do with it /make sense.
May be it could be simple OoO cores?

I don't know but it smells like throughput/simplistic cores. We need to learn more.
On Durango basically it's hard to figure anything at this point, we hear everything and its contrary.
I'm close to drop the ball on all these talk and W&S as it smells a bit at this stage like big sites are out for click hunting.

I take it as a proof that for the public the ps360 are really getting old and people want to hear about new stuff.

----------------------------
There was a presentation from nvidia where they implemented a software pipeline on a GPU.
It's significantly slower than the traditional pipeline but it's a proof it can be done and you don't need a larrabee design to do so.
It's true that thing could have been faster as some fixed function hardware are not exposed in CUDA. With more time and access to all the hardware software rendering on GPU could be more competitive but it's questionable if it is worth it and that's on a GPU.

Now going to something like larrabee, and reading all the insiders posts here (minus Nick) it sounds like a bad idea. (See the endless discussion between Nick and the other camp).

As I get it there is no way a many core CPU can be competitive, way too much logic per ALU, not enough threads to hide latencies.
IF MSFT and IBM could pull it would be indeed a tour de force but I'm more than septic.

A larrabee is tie a cheap (est) CPU to a 16 wide SIMD. In AMD GCN Compute Unit you have 4 16 wide SIMD executing each acting as a 64 wide one (1/4 speed). The hardware keeps track on a lot of thread.
Each compute unit as access to a shit load of register files + LDS.
There is one scalar unit per 4 CU, with it's own resource.
what I mean is that a group of 4 CU achieve a density in many regard (compute, register, local store) that I can't see a larrabee like to match (or what Nvidia offers).
Then GPU have a lot hardware that 'make it happens' but it's pretty much centralized, specialized and so cost is low (in power and silicon).
Corner Knight (on 22nm? I don't remember) pack +40 16 wide SIMD in a +500sq.mm package, with most likely a really high power consumption. That's ~ a HD 7770. Clock speed is higher but power is on another scale as an effect.

Members with more knowledge could give their opinions on the matter but I find it really really unlikely (and that comes of somebody that was dreaming about some years ago especially after reading the very paper you linked :) ).

EDIT I would like to speak of a possible larrabe design, it's unliekely but dreaming is cheap. I think there might be an existing thread in the tech section on the matter. It would be a bit of a necro topic but it's might be a better place to discuss than here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any reason why MS would believe they have a need to break even on the hardware at launch. Let alone at $299. I fully expect the successor to the 360 to be priced at $399. Whether they have some stripped down version that is offered at a lower price is possible, but wasn't it reported that during launch MS lost more money on the "core" $299 version than they did on the $399?

If they did lose less on $399 sku, it's probably due to the ridiculous mark up on the HDD.

Also I see $399 being the stripped down model for the next Xbox. :D

That's an assumption I'm simply not willing to make, are you?

I don't know what assumptions they are approaching this generation with. I wouldn't rule those criteria out--but I also hope those are not the criteria. That being said people either need to work within the criteria of the "rumors" or do as you did: give reason why those criteria are not founded. But I don't have an opinion, only a fear :p

$350 and $450. IMO

Consumers have figured out the $1 less than the next full hundred pricing. :cool:

Disagree...half hundred pricing seems so lame it's not even worth it. For a recent example look how little the PS3 got out of going from 300 to 250 instead of directly to 199.

Too me people round off to the next hundred. A 250 console is still in the "300 class". So just make it 300 and reap the extra profit.

Course as you get lower you need to, but 350 or 250 seems a little weak. That said I've always had a hunch Wii U will be 349.

If they did lose less on $399 sku, it's probably due to the ridiculous mark up on the HDD.

Also I see $399 being the stripped down model for the next Xbox.

If 399 is stripped then 499 is the full enchilada and that is one powerful console, you can throw a 6670 out the window at anywhere near that price. Probably could do Tahiti...

Also I see $399 being the stripped down model for the next Xbox. :D
Crap I hope not, after waiting for this long I may not want to wait one or two extra year before jumping in next gen.
So if somebody (that lets only Sony) comes with some cheaper I won't hesitate long even if it means playing on the lesser version of whatever game.

Honestly it's easier for me than for people attached to a specific brand though. My 360 is gone /sold so it's not like I've a lot of accessories, peripheral, etc that attach me to MS.

For next gen I hope Sony stick to this gen online and hardware policies.
Free online, free upgrade for the hardware.

I would be really tempter if they come with an open single SKU business model.
Something like a cheap BRD drive, custom kaveri (the size of cell alone at launch last gen), 2GB of GDDR5, and 8/16GB of flash storage. And they ship this at 299$ and in every system there is a free HDD slot. For cost sake if it save money to have an external PSU, let it be.

No fancy accessories, not that they would not be welcomed in due time, They could try to capture on their name and policies a lot of the core gamers they lose last gen. In those trouble time they may score super high with such strategy in European countries where they are still strong.
They may regain share in US for people on a budget (which they haven't been in situation to compete for this gen even after 6 years :( ).

An option I see for Sony to make up for the live fee, is to have fee that allow premium user to download for example all the games (so pushing both physical and digital release for titles) with a discount, this and access to special services. It may have the same effect and could help with their image as they would not appear greedy, evil, etc.

On the 16 core rumors...

A. Someone posted a rumor to pastebin that the Xbox 3 will have 16 cores.

B. Then someone doctored up a PPT with 16 cores.

C. Then a small news outlet announces a rumor of 16 cores.

D. Then all the bigger outlets coordinate with this rumor and even some mention the PPT slide!

So either someone doctored up A. and B. to troll the gaming sites (Nelson voice: Ha ha) or someone wanted a benign way to get a leak out and A. and B. allowed the gaming press C. and D. to mention a new rumor without compromising their source.

I think the first scenario happened.

If it is the second scenario I think the most likely hardware would be (1) a variant of the IBM PowerPC 476S/FP, then (2) totally revised POWER7, and last (3) A2.

At least IBM has a couple models, given a ~ 150mm^2 footprint on 32nm, could hit a 16 core or 16 thread target.

On the 16 core rumors...

A. Someone posted a rumor to pastebin that the Xbox 3 will have 16 cores.

B. Then someone doctored up a PPT with 16 cores.

C. Then a small news outlet announces a rumor of 16 cores.

D. Then all the bigger outlets coordinate with this rumor and even some mention the PPT slide!

So either someone doctored up A. and B. to troll the gaming sites (Nelson voice: Ha ha) or someone wanted a benign way to get a leak out and A. and B. allowed the gaming press C. and D. to mention a new rumor without compromising their source.

I think the first scenario happened.

If it is the second scenario I think the most likely hardware would be (1) a variant of the IBM PowerPC 476S/FP, then (2) totally revised POWER7, and last (3) A2.

At least IBM has a couple models, given a ~ 150mm^2 footprint on 32nm, could hit a 16 core or 16 thread target.

I thought it came from Xbox World magazine

Ultimately some rumors came out about nextbox, someone was fake for sure, all are compatible
can this be some elaborate plan to confuse ms'competitors?

I thought it came from Xbox World magazine

The PasteBin rumor was posted April 2nd. Computers and Videogames reported the Xbox World Magazine rumor April 10th. I don't know the publication dates so either the PasteBin poster could have got the info from a copy in production but not released ... or if the XWM picked up that rumor right at press time. As XWM doesn't say where their sources come from (read the CVG thing closely, it mentions the secret meetings and dev kits going out but never mentions a developer disclosing data to them) it could be is doing what other sites have been shown to be doing: running with any rumor they find.

EDIT: The other option is that both rumors are related to the recent conferences and dev kit dispersion and are both based on some real facts. I consider that, sadly, unlikely.

Crap I hope not, after waiting for this long I may not want to wait one or two extra year before jumping in next gen.
So if somebody (that lets only Sony) comes with some cheaper I won't hesitate long even if it means playing on the lesser version of whatever game.

Honestly it's easier for me than for people attached to a specific brand though. My 360 is gone /sold so it's not like I've a lot of accessories, peripheral, etc that attach me to MS.

For next gen I hope Sony stick to this gen online and hardware policies.
Free online, free upgrade for the hardware.

I would be really tempter if they come with an open single SKU business model.
Something like a cheap BRD drive, custom kaveri (the size of cell alone at launch last gen), 2GB of GDDR5, and 8/16GB of flash storage. And they ship this at 299$ and in every system there is a free HDD slot. For cost sake if it save money to have an external PSU, let it be.

No fancy accessories, not that they would not be welcomed in due time, They could try to capture on their name and policies a lot of the core gamers they lose last gen. In those trouble time they may score super high with such strategy in European countries where they are still strong.
They may regain share in US for people on a budget (which they haven't been in situation to compete for this gen even after 6 years :( ).

An option I see for Sony to make up for the live fee, is to have fee that allow premium user to download for example all the games (so pushing both physical and digital release for titles) with a discount, this and access to special services. It may have the same effect and could help with their image as they would not appear greedy, evil, etc.

I'm only looking at prices with factors like inflation and such. Before, I refused to pay more than $400 for a game console, and while I still don't wish to pay more, I realize that if I want a high performing system, I may have to bend a little and pay more.

Also if both companies can get away having a HDD-less SKU, I think they will. IIRC Sony originally wanted to have a PS3 SKU without a HDD, but the slow blu-ray drive prevented this from happening.

I'm only looking at prices with factors like inflation and such. Before, I refused to pay more than $400 for a game console, and while I still don't wish to pay more, I realize that if I want a high performing system, I may have to bend a little and pay more.

Also if both companies can get away having a HDD-less SKU, I think they will. IIRC Sony originally wanted to have a PS3 SKU without a HDD, but the slow blu-ray drive prevented this from happening.
The issue with inflation is that salaries for most people (the working class) has decoupled a long ago ;(
But like for instruments usually if you want you can delay a buy to get something better. After 8 years it would be interesting to see what people do (given the choice say Sony comes with something affordable 299$) especially in this shitty economy.

Anyway as Joker put it SOny is not in a good shape and the slides I red today didn't strike me as a huge shift in strategy. Sadly it has a taste lips service to simply cover cuts.

Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to think that the economy, if anything has gotten better.

Let me clarify - I think people's perception of the economy has gotten better. Not that people report the economy is doing well. But rather they have become accustomed to what we refer to in my line of work as 'the new normal'.

People have gotten used to (begrudgingly) the fact that raises, promotional opportunities, etc.. aren't as readily available as they were 5-7 years ago and have adjusted their lifestyles accordingly.

I don't think those early adopters who could either afford to pay a premium or prioritized being an early adopter by making sure to save the necessary funds will be effected by a $499 Xbox replacement. I also think the 360's continued sales numbers as well as their ability to maintain a high median price point show there's a market for a large new console at $399.

See how people happily throws console+ monies at iPads, iPhones, etc the issue, I think, is more appeal. If your console is THE hot property and has things consumers REALLY want then yeah, I think people will pay a price premium. If, e.g., the PS3 had had free online, Blu Ray, a Wii Waggle Wand with EyeToy, and next gen graphics out the door in 2006 at $399 I think you see it fly off the shelves. Of course a good businessman tries to inspire consumers while keeping costs low (Wii) instead of inspiring on iteration and evolution unless the later is what consumers really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back