News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a possible reality of a Durango thats always online and HDMI out only, I am wondering if MS might be tailoring their hardware.

If MS did a survey of its userbase and found a distinct difference between those that readily support the 360 ecosystem versus those that don't then it might warrant MS to produce hardware that more attractive to one set of users versus another set of users.

Obviously you have gamers like us here that tend to purchase a relatively large amount of titles and there must be a subset of gamers that purchase very little. If you could find a general set of hardware attributes that separate those two would it be attractive to a manufacturer to try to weed out those the light console users by removing certain features.

Does it matter if you lose 40%-50% of console sales but retain 80-90%% of software, entertainment content and accessories sales? For subsidized hardware it doesn't make a lot sense to service those that don't return enough in profits to warrant the sale the lossy hardware they purchased.

With a possible reality of a Durango thats always online and HDMI out only, I am wondering if MS might be tailoring their hardware.

If MS did a survey of its userbase and found a distinct difference between those that readily support the 360 ecosystem versus those that don't then it might warrant MS to produce hardware that more attractive to one set of users versus another set of users.

Obviously you have gamers like us here that tend to purchase a relatively large amount of titles and there must be a subset of gamers that purchase very little. If you could find a general set of hardware attributes that separate those two would it be attractive to a manufacturer to try to weed out those the light console users by removing certain features.

Does it matter if you lose 40%-50% of console sales but retain 80-90%% of software, entertainment content and accessories sales? For subsidized hardware it doesn't make a lot sense to service those that don't return enough in profits to warrant the sale the lossy hardware they purchased.

Interesting, but I doubt 360 hardware has been particularly subsidized for a few years...

In which case even if buyers dont do much with it it still helps.

Preorder now?! :oops::???: For what platform? An unannounced, unpriced console?
I mean... all I am saying is that for the price consoles are good. 400-500$ gets you quite a lot of quality and entertainment, not to mention extras. Price shouldn't be an impediment.

This comes from a non CoD fan -the last CoD I purchased was 4-. Early adopters are usually hardcore and CoD is so popular.

If you add to this a Justin Bieber concert during the presentation, then you have a winner combo.

Sonic is going to be launched on next gen consoles.

1367358441204.jpg

Nothing unusual here, but... there is some revealing info in the announcement:

Release date: November 2013

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, 3DS, PlayStation 4, and Xbox Infinite.

"All seven versions will be the same, except the PC, PS4, and XI versions will have higher resolutions and the 3DS version will be made by a different team.

Do not worry, it is not going to be Dimps. Sega has ended their relationship with them."

Xbox Infinite then...

If the console is called Xbox Fusion, I am not interested, it's a very shabby name, imho.

:LOL:

he can play kinect during song intermissions for the neogaf love trifecta.
ha ha, trifecta, I like that word, sounds like there is a triumvirate at neogaf?

On a different note, there was a rumour saying that Molyneaux would be in the presentation, but (fortunately) it has been debunked by Molyneayx himself:

Whatever the case, we won't see Molyneux on stage during the Redmond event. "No, you won't see me on Microsoft's stage," he said. "I can categorically say, I'm the last person they will want on their stage".

Nobody is using analog video feeds anymore. It just isn't an issue. Monitors are all at least DVI and tvs are all HDMI. The few people trying to play on an ancient CRT are not really the customers Microsoft is after.
My Xbox 360 uses component video for my HDTV and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If the connectors are cheap Microsoft should avoid the hassle for people and include it in the initial rev.

It's kind of ironic I'm saying this as a few months before the 360 shipped I asked some of the Microsoft Xbox team members why they weren't supporting HDMI. I don't recall getting a good answer, but they were probably being conservative.

You most definitely didn't look very hard as I did another search for HDMI to component and came up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Univer...=1367425607&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+to+component

And reviews are overwhelmingly positive, so it definitely works.

The only thing to take away from this is that the converter is more expensive than the one Tap In linked to due to the active conversion that is required. Again, I didn't even try to find cheapest prices on any of these items.

Still, it wouldn't be at all surprising if someone (Microsoft or 3rd parties) released a converter for anywhere from 29.99 USD to 49.99 USD.

In other words, not much more than the original Xbox breakout cable connector or the X360 component cable...

Regards,
SB

That's a HDMI to composite not component...

Sonic is going to be launched on next gen consoles.

1367358441204.jpg

Nothing unusual here, but... there is some revealing info in the announcement:

Xbox Infinite then...

If the console is called Xbox Fusion, I am not interested, it's a very shabby name, imho.

Eh... I'd recommend to Microsoft not to come up with cute or clever console names. That backfired with the Wii U, everyone thinks the controller is an addon to the Wii.

That's a HDMI to composite not component...

Yes, I realize that. But it's not difficult for the manufacturer's to switch it from outputting composite to component. It might make it a few pennies more, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. :) Actually it might be cheaper. As composite video actually requires that the video signal be encoded such that the the luminance, brightness and chrominance are in one signal. Component keeps those separate similar to the original digital stream.

Regards,
SB

I am really curious about what we get with the nextBox, but reading this interview with Molyneux, I have to say that I fully agree with him:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pet...dont-want-another-way-of-looking-at-facebook/

Yeah, I want to agree with him too. But then I look at the smartphone/tab market and the evolution of its technology and the pace it's being driven. And I see a technology whose popularity is driven by utility. Games dominate the sales chart of iOS and yet I seriously doubt that the current state of the tech could of been accomplished by a game phone.

Yeah, I want to agree with him too. But then I look at the smartphone/tab market and the evolution of its technology and the pace it's being driven. And I see a technology whose popularity is driven by utility. Games dominate the sales chart of iOS and yet I seriously doubt that the current state of the tech could of been accomplished by a game phone.

He knows a lot, I bet

He knows a lot, I bet

I'm sure he does. Nintendo probably knows a lot too. Yet, I doubt we would be better served by a market where every manufacturer adopts their philosophy.

When I look at the evolution of console gaming I see the relationship of Sony and Microsoft as what ultimately pushes us forward. Sony pushes hardware and MS pushes software features and utility while being market competitors keeps each other honest outside their strengths.

A console with a broad userbase and serviced by multiple revenue streams will have a greater potential for profits and revenue. The realization of that potential is what dictates the level of investment in hardware. Look at the PC market, the increase in performance of PCs isn't driven by need alone. The vast majority of PC use doesn't really tax the hardware. But it's broad utility maximizes its adoption and makes it easier to service the performance users. It takes volume to cheapen manufacturing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlikely as it would be strange to have the COD: Ghost unveil at the Xbox unveil. As well Watchdogs is to simultaneously launch on all platforms in November. That would include the Xbox as well.

So, while possible, I'd say it's highly unlikely. Unless there isn't going to be simultaneous world wide release, and Europe will get it in the Spring while the US gets it during the Holiday season? I find that highly unlikely as well.

Regards,
SB

I'm going to jump on this early and call extreme bullshit.

Seconded, sounds like the lamest reason to delay a console, ever.

I am really curious about what we get with the nextBox, but reading this interview with Molyneux, I have to say that I fully agree with him:

This is my personal feeling as a gamer,” he continued. “What I would do is double-down on what this console is for: it’s for playing games.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pet...dont-want-another-way-of-looking-at-facebook/

Except MS has "detailed data" that people use the current xbox only half the time for that purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back