News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it odd. Your talking about the xbox 360 that released in the fall of 2005 back when even cheap hdtv's were over $1k . You can now buy a 60 inch 1080p tv for under that price.

All legacy ports will do is add space and cost to a system when it isn't needed.

I'd take a closer look at the cable if I were you. :p A few questions that immediately come to mind:

1. How is a standard cable going to convert digital to analog (full cable picture)?
  2. How is a TV going to establish an HDMI handshake over its composite input? If it could handshake, it would have an HDMI input.
  3. How is HDCP going to react for HDCP protected content/output? Pretty much ties to the handshake issue.

Really it all boils down to if there's no converter to establish the handshake, show a protected chain for HDCP, and convert to analog, then there's no picture.

EDIT

I did some quick checking on Monoprice to see if one could get the right combination of converters to go from HDMI to component or composite and I couldn't do it. All of the HDMI/DVI converters expect DVI-D, and the only DVI to Component converter (made for certain Radeon cards) expects a DVI-I input, and I suspect will only accept an analog signal for it to work.

EDIT 2

Almost forgot about these guys. They were one of the first companies I heard about doing HDMI to analog converters that were HDCP compatible during the early days of the PS3.

Really? I just did a quick search not even trying to find a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/OKEBA-Display...5411&sr=8-1&keywords=displayport+to+component

DisplayPort to component isn't hard to find. And Display Port is an all digital connection similar to HDMI, it's even designed to be able to transmit HDMI signals over DP including HDCP handshaking.

You most definitely didn't look very hard as I did another search for HDMI to component and came up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Univer...=1367425607&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+to+component

And reviews are overwhelmingly positive, so it definitely works.

The only thing to take away from this is that the converter is more expensive than the one Tap In linked to due to the active conversion that is required. Again, I didn't even try to find cheapest prices on any of these items.

Still, it wouldn't be at all surprising if someone (Microsoft or 3rd parties) released a converter for anywhere from 29.99 USD to 49.99 USD.

In other words, not much more than the original Xbox breakout cable connector or the X360 component cable...

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-x-b...67425981&sr=1-6&keywords=x360+component+video

Regards,
SB

941927_170387519787361_291758242_n.jpg

MS making some moves...

http://www.amazon.com/OKEBA-Display...5411&sr=8-1&keywords=displayport+to+component

DisplayPort to component isn't hard to find. And Display Port is an all digital connection similar to HDMI, it's even designed to be able to transmit HDMI signals over DP including HDCP handshaking.

You most definitely didn't look very hard as I did another search for HDMI to component and came up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Univer...=1367425607&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+to+component

The only thing to take away from this is that the converter is more expensive than the one Tap In linked to due to the active conversion that is required. Again, I didn't even try to find cheapest prices on any of these items.

Still, it wouldn't be at all surprising if someone (Microsoft or 3rd parties) released a converter for anywhere from 29.99 USD to 49.99 USD.

In other words, not much more than the original Xbox breakout cable connector or the X360 component cable...

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-x-b...67425981&sr=1-6&keywords=x360+component+video

Regards,
SB

All the examples you quoted required a separate power source and are quite clearly active converters running a chipset inside them to convert the signal, you cannot do HDMI -> component/composite without a active converter for the reasons pointed out in the post that you quoted.

Now if it was HDMI -> DVI thats a different story, but its not.

All the examples you quoted required a separate power source and are quite clearly active converters running a chipset inside them to convert the signal, you cannot do HDMI -> component/composite without a active converter for the reasons pointed out in the post that you quoted.

Now if it was HDMI -> DVI thats a different story, but its not.

And what exactly has that to do with whether HDMI -> component converters exist or not? Nothing. One can still be sold to people that do not have a TV or display that accepts HDMI. And that does not cost any more than previous console -> component/composite converters have cost. After all, they are already being sold at similar prices to those converters that both the X360 and original Xbox had.

Hell, nothing prevents Microsoft from shipping one in the box. After all both the original Xbox and original X360 all required video breakout cables. The X360 S was the first Xbox console that had a standard video out.

Regards,
SB

Nobody is using analog video feeds anymore. It just isn't an issue. Monitors are all at least DVI and tvs are all HDMI. The few people trying to play on an ancient CRT are not really the customers Microsoft is after.

To me, there are probably more people with analog audio equipment, but even that is probably niche. Most computer speakers have digital inputs, for those using a gaming monitor. Most of those Turtle Beach and Astro Gaming type mixers have digital inputs. It's just people using stereo equipment that might not have digital inputs (which is the boat I'm in). The only analog audio output on my tv is a headphone style mini-jack, which isn't ideal.

941927_170387519787361_291758242_n.jpg

MS making some moves...

This is the reveal trailer. I can already see millions of Xbox Infinity sold at launch if it is a temporary exclusive, they might get the upper hand in that situation.

eastmen, it's a matter of convenience, the more options the merrier, but there are a lot of possibilities these days with convertors and stuff. I still hope the console is going to feature native VGA support. I still use the VGA HD cable myself sometimes because it opens up new possibilities when it comes to resolution, which is great for testing purposes --yesterday I experienced motion sickness while playing Serious Sam 3 on the X360, and I might try with the VGA cable today to compare.

On a different note, some sites are reporting that the next Xbox is going to be named Xbox Fusion -lately the most recurrent rumour was that it was going to be called Xbox Infinity-, but this site debunks that rumour because it says that Xbox Fusion is registered since 2004:

http://spong.com/article/29455/Microsoft-Xbox-Fusion-Domain-Existed-Since-2004

This is the reveal trailer. I can already see millions of Xbox Infinity sold at launch if it is a temporary exclusive, they might get the upper hand in that situation.

Activision has to announce every Call of Duty at a MS conference until 2014, maybe Durango gets some exclusive DLC but I don't think they'll get the full game.

Edit: BTW this means no BF4 and probably no EA at MS conference, Sony maybe has a chance now to make BF for the PS4 what COD was for 360.

Nobody is using analog video feeds anymore. It just isn't an issue. Monitors are all at least DVI and tvs are all HDMI. The few people trying to play on an ancient CRT are not really the customers Microsoft is after.

To me, there are probably more people with analog audio equipment, but even that is probably niche. Most computer speakers have digital inputs, for those using a gaming monitor. Most of those Turtle Beach and Astro Gaming type mixers have digital inputs. It's just people using stereo equipment that might not have digital inputs (which is the boat I'm in). The only analog audio output on my tv is a headphone style mini-jack, which isn't ideal.

I wonder if there will be high enough demand for that corner case that someone will release an HDMI pass through that breaks out just the analog audio. I have no idea how prevalent that will be, but I'm guessing it's in the minority. So it may, unfortunately not see some enterprising 3rd party releasing something to address it.

Although when I see something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Audi...=1367429257&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+analog+audio

I have to wonder if there's actually quite a few people with HDMI TV sets but receivers that don't accept HDMI. So perhaps someone will make one. :)

Regards,
SB

One week ago at Noon (Wed, 4/25, central time) we got the news release about the annoucement of the Xbox Reveal event. Today, exactly one week later, at the same time of day, we get more news about the xbox event. This time in the form of an official reveal for Call of Duty: Ghosts which will be first shown at the xbox event.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another update/tease for the xbox reveal event at the same time for the next 2 Wednesdays.

Activision has to announce every Call of Duty at a MS conference until 2014, maybe Durango gets some exclusive DLC but I don't think they'll get the full game.

Edit: BTW this means no BF4 and probably no EA at MS conference, Sony maybe has a chance now to make BF for the PS4 what COD was for 360.

Isn't the rumoured exclusive game from Respawn Entertainment going to be published by EA?

Regards,
SB

First, I know I didn't look very hard and made it very clear where and how I searched and didn't find anything. Nothing you linked to actually contradicts that. :p

I did some quick checking on Monoprice to see if one could get the right combination of converters to go from HDMI to component or composite and I couldn't do it. All of the HDMI/DVI converters expect DVI-D, and the only DVI to Component converter (made for certain Radeon cards) expects a DVI-I input, and I suspect will only accept an analog signal for it to work.

I checked Monoprice specifically because they're relatively reliable, reputable and inexpensive. Figured that would be the quickest way to find a cheap solution that might actually work (and I had completely forgotten about HDFury at the time). That and laziness.

My snarkiness aside, thank you for searching but that Display Port adapter is useless without an HDMI to DP adapter. DP to HDMI seems quite easy to find. But not the other way around. Here's one for $70 but that DP adapter in your link is to composite. Your second link is HDMI to composite (not component) and makes no mention of HDCP support. Why does that matter? It might not for Durango since we don't know specifics yet, but taking the PS3 as an example, all HDMI output has HDCP enabled for some reason. No HDCP, no video. As I linked to in my second edit, if you want a safe verified route, HDFury is one such example. And its not exactly cheap. If there is a cheap way, by all means share, but its probably not going to be some cheap $10 cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
my xbox was like that when im bringing it for a trip last year. connect to 19" monitor using DVI. Audio using analog A/V cable to headphone.

all in one trip bag :)

First, I know I didn't look very hard and made it very clear where and how I searched and didn't find anything. Nothing you linked to actually contradicts that. :p

I checked Monoprice specifically because they're relatively reliable, reputable and inexpensive. Figured that would be the quickest way to find a cheap solution that might actually work (and I had completely forgotten about HDFury at the time). That and laziness.

My snarkiness aside, thank you for searching but that Display Port adapter is useless without an HDMI to DP adapter. DP to HDMI seems quite easy to find. But not the other way around. Here's one for $70 but that DP adapter in your link is to composite. Your second link is HDMI to composite (not component) and makes no mention of HDCP support. Why does that matter? It might not for Durango since we don't know specifics yet, but taking the PS3 as an example, all HDMI output has HDCP enabled for some reason. No HDCP, no video. As I linked to in my second edit, if you want a safe verified route, HDFury is one such example. And its not exactly cheap. If there is a cheap way, by all means share, but its probably not going to be some cheap $10 cable.

Games don't need HDCP. Plus doesnt HDCP inhibit HD output to analog on any device? I thought any such setup is limited to SD when talking HDCP encrypted content.

Games don't need HDCP. Plus doesnt HDCP inhibit HD output to analog on any device? I thought any such setup is limited to SD when talking HDCP encrypted content.

I know games don't need HDCP, but Sony thinks they, and everything else, does on the PS3 for some unknown reason. Yeah, the SD limitation is specifically in regards to protected media playback. Which is particularly relevant with your standard BD players using HDMI, but meaningless with your PS3 and HDMI when you get no video on boot to even start the BD. :p

EDIT

Unless they've updated their global HDCP requirements at some point. I stopped hearing any buzz about it after the first year or so.

I know games don't need HDCP, but Sony thinks they, and everything else, does on the PS3 for some unknown reason. Yeah, the SD limitation is specifically in regards to protected media playback. Which is particularly relevant with your standard BD players using HDMI, but meaningless with your PS3 and HDMI when you get no video on boot to even start the BD. :p

EDIT

Unless they've updated their global HDCP requirements at some point. I stopped hearing any buzz about it after the first year or so.

I am not getting the gist of your argument. If games don't have HDCP and HDCP won't allow HD playback over analog then who cares about a HDMI to component lacking HDCP support.

There are device that does provide such functionality like before mentioned HDFury (I am not sure how they get away with it). But the AV out on the back of any next gen console won't support HD playback with any HDCP protected content. Basically AV out is for a subset of the userbase with very old TVs that don't mind SD only playback.

Me and my wife still use her old college TV in our bedroom and I remember going WTF when I tried to hook the original Xbox to it in 03 or 04. I had to go out and buy an RF adaptor for the antenna inputs. I am not talking coaxial input but the VHF/UHF screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not getting the gist of your argument. If games don't have HDCP and HDCP won't allow HD playback over analog then who cares about a HDMI to component lacking HDCP support.

Sorry for the confusion. What I'm saying is that I know games don't technically need HDCP. However, regardless of that, SCE has HDCP enabled for absolutely everything whenever outputting through HDMI on the PS3. So, in the PS3's case, any HDMI to Component (analog) converter must absolutely take HDCP into consideration. The HDMI handshake must be completed, and an HDCP trust must be established. If HDCP isn't supported, then you get no video output at all even just simply starting the console.

There are device that does provide such functionality like before mentioned HDFury (I am not sure how they get away with it). But the AV out on the back of any next gen console won't support HD playback with any HDCP protected content. Basically AV out is for a subset of the userbase with very old TVs that don't mind SD only playback.

HDFury addresses the HDCP issue, which is why it works with the PS3 and converting HDMI output to an analog signal. Which is what I'm saying may be the case for the Durango if:

1) It's HDMI only for video (looks that way according to interference).

2) HDCP is enabled for everything as with the PS3 (I have no idea if this will be the case).

Some cheap $10 or $20 cable probably isn't going to address both of those issues. Someone mentioned a $7 cable from Best Buy as a solution initially. Which was why I went off on this tangent in the first place. Trying to warn people of what they might actually need if they don't have the proper setup now (digital to analog + HDCP). I probably shouldn't have bothered since I suspect some may be interpreting this as me nitpicking the Durango. :LOL:

Sorry for the confusion. What I'm saying is that I know games don't technically need HDCP. However, regardless of that, SCE has HDCP enabled for absolutely everything whenever outputting through HDMI on the PS3. So, in the PS3's case, any HDMI to Component (analog) converter must absolutely take HDCP into consideration. The HDMI handshake must be completed, and an HDCP trust must be established. If HDCP isn't supported, then you get no video output at all even just simply starting the console.

HDFury addresses the HDCP issue, which is why it works with the PS3 and converting HDMI output to an analog signal. Which is what I'm saying may be the case for the Durango if:

1) It's HDMI only for video (looks that way according to interference).

2) HDCP is enabled for everything as with the PS3 (I have no idea if this will be the case).

Some cheap $10 or $20 cable probably isn't going to address both of those issues. Someone mentioned a $7 cable from Best Buy as a solution initially. Which was why I went off on this tangent in the first place. Trying to warn people of what they might actually need if they don't have the proper setup now (digital to analog + HDCP). I probably shouldn't have bothered since I suspect some may be interpreting this as me nitpicking the Durango. :LOL:

Gotcha. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back