New Stuff about PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the list given I would bet on these being "launch window" titles.

Spider-Man 3
Mobile Suit Gundam
NFSU 3
Fight Night Round 3
Def Jam 3
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
New SSX
Warhawk
I-8
New Hot Shots Golf
MotorStorm
Eyedentify
New Wipeout
Tekken 6
Ridge Racer 6
Star Wars: Clone Wars
UT 2007
Test Drive Unlimited
Sega
Fifth Phantom Saga
Fatal Frame 4
Ni-oh

And that's with nothing from Konami, Square, or Capcom. I'm sure there's more we dont know about.

mckmas8808 said:
So just because we have heard of the games does that mean nothing is coming out? Wow I hate to see Nintendo's launch line up then.:|

nobody is saying sony is not capable of delivering top quality software, what most people in the industry agree on is the fact that that is sony's (or their 2nd and 3rd party's) top quality games are not going to be ready for spring 06 launch, simply there is not enough time for it.

Also,Nintendo is not a good example for well supported system launch either. Since they lost most of their third party support with their manangement mistakes during N64 times, they have been struggling with delivering a good amount of diverse,top quality software at launch (since most of their key franchises end up being not ready for launch)

So you think Sony isn't going to launch with any big name franchises? Take a look at the launch lineup that the PSP had for NA. I'm pretty sure Sony will deliver. Why would they not?

Well personally i donty think psp had a good launch line-up either. I'd take gamespot reviews as an exapmle:according to gamespot editors only one psps game managed to get a 9.o or a higher score and that game was lumines. Nearly all videogame rmagazine editors agree that most of the games released for psp so far has been under "okay but not that great" category. Yes next year all the "heavy hitters" and big franchises are coming and psps most probably going to be successful platform with top quality diverse software but untill then(which is 6-8 months after launch) there is not that much you can do with that sexy powerful handheld.

Titanio said:
From a quality or "big-name" perspective? The former is a point of opinion, but on the latter..MS isn't bringing any of the GTA/MGS/Halo style "big names" at launch that you think is so required of Sony at PS3's launch.

By any measure those are quality games that are going to sell.

Evry single one is expected to be AAA, and if PD0 and Kameo live up to their expecations you have two huge hits right there, oblivion will be a hit, gears of war by all expectations will be a smash hit, and Lost Odyssey has the potential to become the next FF IMO, nevermind any number of less hyped exclusive that have the potential themselves to become break out hits.

you guys can try and sluff these games off, but the fact is MS is lining up quality franchises, and they WILL be popular, PS3 will need equally good EXCLUSIVE titles for it's NA launch. I'm not sayinf PS3 won't have excellent franchises, but I don't think they'll be ready to compete worldwide by May

Alpha_Spartan said:
With Sony's sequel-hungry audience in mind, yes, I'd think so. It would be like a Nintendo console without a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game at launch (the GCN launch is an abnormality).

I think that's a broad statement to make.

If you don't think Sony can launch without big guns, good luck to MS. However I think both could sell out given a similar lineup.

In Japan, PS2 sold as much for its DVD playback btw, if anything else. The tie-ratio was pretty damn low starting out IIRC.

And as others have said, I think you're mistaken if you think we've seen PS3's launch lineup yet. We're at least 6 or 7 months from its launch. How many X360 games did we know about back in April? The launch lineup hasn't even been finalised still, 2 months prior to launch. So I think it's a mistake to consider us in a position to be even debating this credibly yet. I think we should give Sony just a little more time before we start having this discussion.

scooby_dooby said:
Evry single one is expected to be AAA, and if PD0 and Kameo live up to their expecations you have two huge hits right there, oblivion will be a hit, gears of war by all expectations will be a smash hit, and Lost Odyssey has the potential to become the next FF IMO, nevermind any number of less hyped exclusive that have the potential themselves to become break out hits.

Good game != big name. I'm not questioning their potential quality. Merely the argument that Sony needs big names and MS doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
<nu>faust said:
Well personally i donty think psp had a good launch line-up either. I'd take gamespot reviews as an exapmle:according to gamespot editors only one psps game managed to get a 9.o or a higher score and that game was lumines. Nearly all videogame rmagazine editors agree that most of the games released for psp so far has been under "okay but not that great" category. Yes next year all the "heavy hitters" and big franchises are coming and psps most probably going to be successful platform with top quality diverse software but untill then(which is 6-8 months after launch) there is not that much you can do with that sexy powerful handheld.

Sorry have to disagree with you there bud. On gamerankings.com the top launch titles looked like this

1. Lumnies 90.2%

2. Wipeout Pure 88.9%

3. Ridge Racers 87.8%

4. THUG2 Remix 83.9%

5. Twisted Medal: Head-On 81.3%

6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 80.6%

7. Metal Gear Ac!d 77.6%

8. NFSU 77.7%

9. Darkstalkers Chronicle: 76.0%

10. NBA Street Showdown 74.5%

11. NFL Street 2 Unleashed 74.5%

If you ask me that's pretty good. Over ten games with well over 7 out of 10 ratings. I don't see anything wrong with that. Why do you?

scooby_dooby said:
MS is going to have a very good selection of extremely good AAA exclusives, Kameo, PD0, Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, Gears of War, PGR3, 99 Nights...
Oblivion is not exclusive, in fact I'd wager it will be a much better experience on the PC.
And PGR3 is probably not a launch game if I recall another thread correctly.
scooby_dooby said:
a bunch of cross-platform ports won't cut it
Yeah, it's not like any of the titles you listed were originally developed for other platforms :rolleyes:

Oh what I'd give to be able to enter a parallel universe where you are Titanio and he is you, just to see what you'd have to say about that very good selection of extremely good AAA exclusives.

seismologist said:
From the list given I would bet on these being "launch window" titles.

Spider-Man 3
Mobile Suit Gundam
NFSU 3
Fight Night Round 3
Def Jam 3
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
New SSX
Warhawk
I-8
New Hot Shots Golf
MotorStorm
Eyedentify
New Wipeout
Tekken 6
Ridge Racer 6
Star Wars: Clone Wars
UT 2007
Test Drive Unlimited
Sega
Fifth Phantom Saga
Fatal Frame 4
Ni-oh

And that's with nothing from Konami, Square, or Capcom. I'm sure there's more we dont know about.
according to ign&gameinformer

Spider-Man 3 - Spring 2007
Mobile Suit Gundam - launch title
NFSU 3 - unconfirmed, most likely to be launch title
Fight Night Round 3 - q4 2006
Def Jam 3 - q1 2007
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - not confirmed, mosy likely to be launch title
New SSX - development not confirmed,possibly launch title
Warhawk - fall/winter 2006
I-8 - possibly launch title
New Hot Shots Golf - not confirmed
MotorStorm - q2 2007
Eyedentify - launch title
New Wipeout - not announced
Tekken 6 - unconfirmed high chance
Ridge Racer 6 - most likely to be launch title
Star Wars: Clone Wars - not announced
UT 2007 - q2 2006
Test Drive Unlimited - most likely to be launch title
Fifth Phantom Saga - tba , likely to be launch title
Fatal Frame 4 - tab , not likely to be launch title
Ni-oh - launch title

mckmas8808 said:
Sorry have to disagree with you there bud. On gamerankings.com the top launch titles looked like this

1. Lumnies 90.2%

2. Wipeout Pure 88.9%

3. Ridge Racers 87.8%

4. THUG2 Remix 83.9%

5. Twisted Medal: Head-On 81.3%

6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 80.6%

7. Metal Gear Ac!d 77.6%

8. NFSU 77.7%

9. Darkstalkers Chronicle: 76.0%

10. NBA Street Showdown 74.5%

11. NFL Street 2 Unleashed 74.5%

If you ask me that's pretty good. Over ten games with well over 7 out of 10 ratings. I don't see anything wrong with that. Why do you?

i see you point but personally if still there is one AAA game 6 months after system's launch, i cant call that an imprresive line-up,thats just avarage software support .

<nu>faust said:
Ni-oh - launch title

Ni-oh is not a launch title, they have said from the start it'll be Summer 06, to coincide with the movie IIRC. Summer 06 won't be too far after the Japanese launch, though.

Gundam is the only confirmed PS3 launch game at this stage, I think.

Softwarewise I'd guess Sony doesn't need as much on the table at launch as there's anticipation. Everyone knows the next DQ and FF will be on PS3, and the next GT, and MGS, and so forth. At least all the initial buyers. Like PSP hasn't had anything new and worthwhile for months from release yet it still sells for what'll come in the future along with non-game functions and just plain coolness. Early adopters will buy PS3 because it's the next PlayStation as much as anything. Even a stronger software selection for XB360 when PS3 launches probably won't draw away those potential PS3 owners who want the platform that'll have their favourtie franchises. I imagine the worst a poor launch lineup will impact PS3 is delay when the buyers buy it, rather than have them buying the opposition.

It's also interesting on what to count as triple A. Some fo those XB360 titles have looked REALLY rough. If you're going to assume these'll be great looking titles by the time they release, you should also consider that PS3 wil also have it's fair share of great looking titles. Devs have had as much time to work on PS3 titles as XB360, and have had a closer approximation of final hardware for longer (though one could argue it's needed as it's a trickier machine ot understand). I'm sure there'll be enough content to fuel early adopters gaming when they buy the next PlayStation knowing it'll power the next DQ, FF, MGS etc., even if there aren't any killer apps at launch, without those early adopters seeing XB360 as the new king just because having launched 6 months earlier it has 10+ more games.

PeterT said:
Oblivion is not exclusive, in fact I'd wager it will be a much better experience on the PC.

I'll take that wager. $100? $1000? Bethesda has stated the x360 will be the best possible version, only the best PC's available on the market today will be able to match it, MATCH it, otherwise the x360 will look better. You can spend $500 on a GPU if you like, but I won't be.

And PGR3 is probably not a launch game if I recall another thread correctly.
Yeah, it's not like any of the titles you listed were originally developed for other platforms :rolleyes:

DO you know the difefrence between cross-platform and cross-generational? By cross platform I was pointing to the fact that the majority of PS3 launch titles will already have been released on the X360, months earlier.

btw, PGR3 being launch title is irrelevent, x360 doesn't need it at launch since they have no competition, point is it will be a big hit and will sell consoles, and when PS3 comes out it will want to have something to counter that, and I don't mean a port of RR6 that debut on the x360 6 months earlier.

Oh what I'd give to be able to enter a parallel universe where you are Titanio and he is you, just to see what you'd have to say about that very good selection of extremely good AAA exclusives.

I don't need to defend this line-up. Anyone with an ounce of objectivety can see this is one serious lineup of games coming in the next 6-8 months, the games speak for themselves.

scooby_dooby said:
I don't need to defend this line-up. Anyone with an ounce of objectivety can see this is one serious lineup of games coming in the next 6-8 months, the games speak for themselves.

And PS3's lineup will speak for itself. So what you point?

scooby_dooby said:

You put alot of faith in these games, which AFAIK are not even finished yet! I certainly hope they turn out good, but to put them in the same category as Halo is a bit much this far out, don't you think? (Ok, I know you don't think that...it's rhetorical)

Remember Killzone? It had AAA written all over it, and all the PlayStation fans had their hopes up for this game...and it turned out...well, you know the rest.

It always helps to check the depth of the water before diving in...

scooby_dooby said:
I'll take that wager. $100? $1000? Bethesda has stated the x360 will be the best possible version, only the best PC's available on the market today will be able to match it, MATCH it, otherwise the x360 will look better. You can spend $500 on a GPU if you like, but I won't be.

Pitting a high end PC vs. X360 in a game designed for the PC? yep I'll take that wager.

So your saying that rather than having a modest launch lineup of first party exclusives next spring, and developing over the next 6-8 months like the X360 is doing
Sony would be better off not launching at all?

With that opinion, somehow I feel like you're not looking out for what's in the best interest of Sony... ;)

seismologist said:
Pitting a high end PC vs. X360 in a game designed for the PC? yep I'll take that wager.

You do realise that right now the Xbox 1 is still capable of running some of the top PC games (Doom 3, HL2, FarCry) and the 360 is at least twice as powerful. Not only that, but ATI said it themselves that they won't be releasing tech like what's in the 360 for another year... I'm pretty sure you'll see the best looking stuff on the xbox360.

Maybe eventually a PC will be able to run it at a higher resolution, but for now the 360 is the winner. Especially since the developer said so...

Oh, I'll also take you up on that bet.

Atsim said:
You do realise that right now the Xbox 1 is still capable of running some of the top PC games (Doom 3, HL2, FarCry) and the 360 is at least twice as powerful. Not only that, but ATI said it themselves that they won't be releasing tech like what's in the 360 for another year... I'm pretty sure you'll see the best looking stuff on the xbox360.

Maybe eventually a PC will be able to run it at a higher resolution, but for now the 360 is the winner. Especially since the developer said so...

Oh, I'll also take you up on that bet.

oh? as I understand you can already by an ati card with double ram speed, high clock speed, more dedicated memory, both are directx 9, unified shaders?
I would like to know how a statement like that could possibly be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back