NEW Lair Screens Plus Interview!

The demo had godmode enabled for the TGS only, it's not like the final game is gonna be like that... And yes, there was opposition, in the videos you can see dragons shooting you fireballs (and actually hitting you several times).

And the mission could still fail if you weren't successfully contributing to the campaign, as you can see happen in one of the later interview videos.

:LOL: How did I know you would say that about an exclusive PS3 game? Yep figures. Too-Humans framerate was complete ass.

It was so bad that even they went back to the drawing board.

That, my good sir, is surely undeniable logic and an excellent counterpoint.

It's difficult to put anything else that I want to say into words.

Can we please pick up the level of discussion a little? When you write your next reply, just consider for a moment whether it contributes more or less than any part of the following:

- 'I like blue'
- 'I like red'
- 'Well I can't understand how you can possibly like red'
- 'Well obviously I like red, because it's not blue'
- yada yada yada

If the answer is less, or even the same, then please, desist.

Thanks.

Can we please pick up the level of discussion a little? When you write your next reply, just consider for a moment whether it contributes more or less than any part of the following:

- 'I like blue'
- 'I like red'
- 'Well I can't understand how you can possibly like red'
- 'Well obviously I like red, because it's not blue'
- yada yada yada

If the answer is less, or even the same, then please, desist.

Thanks.
Indeed, it's becoming pretty stupid.

Exactly. The lack of polish was ridiculous, nowhere near a final game, not even close. For example, combat between the dragons, brutal, the transition whena rider attacks the other dragon, terrible, the shooting fireballs, boring, stomping around on the bridge, none of the enemies react, the list goes on...

If it were just GFX I could believe we'll see a Spring release but with this? It's like Too Human, after seeing it at E3, you just knew it wasn't making it's release datey, same with LAIR after TGS. There's soooo much work left to be done on this game...

Somethings to keep in mind, is that many said the same thing about Resistance's first showings earlier this year. Yet, six months later, few who have played it at TGS don't feel it has a high level of polish on all aspects. Here's one example I found pretty easily:

Eurogamer's TGS Report:

Resistance, as they say, is futile. As it happens, 'they' were dead right, as showing this off at the last E3 was an utterly futile exercise. Futile in that the game was just so evidently being shown off way too early, and giving the distinct impression that Insomniac's latest game was little more than Call of Duty with rather dim aliens instead of lemming Germans.

Rather than set off on a futile whinge about how unfinished the visuals looked, or how uninspiring the combat felt, or how rudimentary the deathmatch multiplayer came across, we said nothing. More out of respect to the evidently talented folks at Insomniac than anything.

Within seconds of clapping our eyes on the monster 1080p Sony Bravia screen being used to show of the game off at its best (to confirm, it'll be one of the 1080p titles for launch), it's clear that this sci-fi shooter has moved on enormously over the past four or five months since that hobbled demo in LA. Better still, we'd go as far to say that it looks like it could well be one of the must-haves when the console launches in November in the US and Japan (cue violins all over Europe).

Another good example would be MotorStorm, which has made some incredibly progress over the last six months. From GDC to now is almost night and day. This is obviously not conclusive evidence that Lair could be ready in 5 - 8 months, but I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility.

Resistance at E3 was in a far more complete state than LAIR at TGS. The two are not even comparable.

Like I said, if it were just GFX I could believe it, but it's not even close to that.

Resistance at E3 was in a far more complete state than LAIR at TGS. The two are not even comparable.

Like I said, if it were just GFX I could believe it, but it's not even close to that.
Polish is the only bad thing. Just because you were expecting something else doesn't mean it's bad.

Polish is the only bad thing. Just because you were expecting something else doesn't mean it's bad.

Did I ever say it was bad?

What I said was, the gameplay is unfinished and I expect it to be delayed. It'll still probably be a kick ass game when it comes out, I just can't see it being in spring.

Even from GDC to E3 was big jump for Resistance, and that was only a month. By all accounts, RFoM was in very sorry state at GDC, and not just with the graphics either. And MotorStorm was in even far worse state, yet has made incredibly strides. Frankly, I haven't seen anything in Lair that says they're in any worse of a position. Then again, I haven't seen much to make me feel it’s in a better position either. All in all, I guess I haven't seen much of Lair that I could make any solid judgments from. Not to mention that we have no idea how old the build used at TGS was (the percentage of the game's completion does not indicate what build the demo was made from).

What I said was, the gameplay is unfinished and I expect it to be delayed. It'll still probably be a kick ass game when it comes out, I just can't see it being in spring.

Ok, I think I better understand what you mean now. I wouldn't put a delay out of the realm of possibility, but given how other games have progressed in the same amount of time, I wouldn't say its current estimated ship date is unreasonable either. What's their track record like? I haven't taken that into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. The lack of polish was ridiculous, nowhere near a final game, not even close. For example, combat between the dragons, brutal, the transition whena rider attacks the other dragon, terrible, the shooting fireballs, boring, stomping around on the bridge, none of the enemies react, the list goes on...
Mhhh, it seems to me that you did.

Like I said, it just lacks polish. It's a pretty solid step up from the Rogue Squadron games.

This game looks like shit. This isn't flamebait; it's an honest opinion. PS3 should be able to do way more than this. It looks like a mess right now. The only thing I see that is nice are the mountains in the background (real-time tesselation?) and the water, both of which are very pretty.

This game looks like shit. This isn't flamebait; it's an honest opinion. PS3 should be able to do way more than this. It looks like a mess right now. The only thing I see that is nice are the mountains in the background (real-time tesselation?) and the water, both of which are very pretty.

You have posted the same comment in the MGS4 thread aswel :rolleyes:

And how about you post some clear footage because if you can judge the graphics by the crap quality video's we have then your the only one.

Gee I wonder...have they finished what they're targeting?

Tough crowd.

you forgot how the E3 trailer looked like? i still remember how the dragon swooped down and clawed the crowd up and throwing up fires of hell. that is a HUGE disparity F5 have to cover.

Back