Vita FW 2.00 - PS Plus, Browser 2.0, Mail App

So apps have to be marked as multitaskable next to games from the sound of it.

I think it's basically that they have to adhere to certain resource use requirements that allows them to get the 'small app' flag, which then automatically allows them to run next to games. Funnily enough of course this check isn't applied when it is opened as 'associated app', which was why the older browser could still be opened through the Twitter app.

When creating an app in PSM, is there something like the Android manifest which will/could establish if a PSM program can be 'small'? Will we maybe see PSM apps multitaskable with Vita games?

When creating an app in PSM, is there something like the Android manifest which will/could establish if a PSM program can be 'small'? Will we maybe see PSM apps multitaskable with Vita games?

Not yet. Of course, PSM Apps are required to be relatively small to begin with, but don't forget they have to run on what amounts to a VMWare, so I don't know how heavy they weigh on the system at the moment.

On the PSM forums they've asked everyone to look over the current suggestions and vote for what we think is important if we haven't already, and people who are too junior to vote can add their support in the comments for that suggestion, as they're planning what looks like a fairly big update.

One thing that I presume will then be taken up is to make the new browser engine available in PSM as a display control, as now that the Vita browser is up to speed with its Android cousins I presume that's going to be a relative piece of cake now. And it would be a really valuable addition, for instance for chat clients etc. Even for native Vita apps: I want to bet it's one reason why Skype on Vita doesn't support text messages yet.

It's up!

First impressions are really good. The browser is way faster, and behaves like a normal browser now. I tried it with the full 'HD' Eurogamer.net site, and that loads like a champ. Zooming works as expected, which was really annoying. Tested some more sites (including corporate), and everything is pretty great. No Audio or Video support though, as expected. WebGL in HTML5 is reported as mostly working, but I can't find anything that does.

The email App is serviceable. Email is currently stripped of most formatting (no html stuff) but still looks good, and you can only set it to auto-get email at minimum 15 minute intervals. You can actually send a picture attachment.

I read that apparently screenshots are now instant, which is neat. Near's user interface has been overhauled, and seems better. I particularly like being able to manage per game if I want to have Near goods downloaded automatically. You could already choose the option automatically download the first time you get something for a new game/app in 1.8, but this is much better. You can also filter showing only goods for games you've played, which is a good idea.

Playstation Plus settings appear in the Settings app marked with the Plus icon. You can set separately if you want to automatically update to download updates for apps (and games), for system software, to sync trophy info, and upload saves to the online storage.

I don't know that I've seen the option to add twitter and facebook details in the Settings before. There are a lot of settings for notifications now - per app that supports notifications, you can choose 'show on screen', 'light up PS button' and 'Play Sound'. This includes emails but also, say, Trophies, Friend's requests, etc.

The screen lock with password is apparently new as well.

Yeah, I posted a lengthy overview over on my site with a bunch of screenshots. http://www.gamervita.com/2012/11/a-guide-to-firmware-2-0-on-the-playstation-vita/

The wifi file transfers are great, the email app is slick, if somewhat lacking in features, and the new options for psx emulation are fantastic.

My gamesaves are now copying to the Cloud ... :) This will definitely help my memory card last a fair while longer, so it will nicely compensate for all those free Plus games ... ;) I may actually get the Plus version of Uncharted, as it means I don't have to use the slot for that game anymore, and my only other 'retail' game can stay in there (Virtua Tennis 4), so I'll never have to change. Also, with Uncharted getting this strange card game, it may become more enticing to go play Uncharted to earn more cards for that game. It's certainly an interesting idea.

Bit the bullet and bought psn+ subscription. Is the plus part of store up and running for vita? Maybe I'm stupid because I'm not seeing the "free" games/plus part of store?

Very nice update from sony though the UI is so clunky and complicated that I almost hate my vita for that :D

Also, with Uncharted getting this strange card game, it may become more enticing to go play Uncharted to earn more cards for that game. It's certainly an interesting idea.

Don't forget to trade the cards on Near!

BTW, Near is also much nicer in 2.0!

Bit the bullet and bought psn+ subscription. Is the plus part of store up and running for vita? Maybe I'm stupid because I'm not seeing the "free" games/plus part of store?

Very nice update from sony though the UI is so clunky and complicated that I almost hate my vita for that :D

It's not clunky or complicated, just different. ;) No but seriously, it really grows on you.

Plus should be online for you when the weekly store update happens tonight

It's not clunky or complicated, just different. ;) No but seriously, it really grows on you.

I mainly hate the fact settings are not very unified and things are hidden inside submenus inside apps. I feel like an explorer inside the UI when I want to achieve something more than just launch a game.

The plus games won't show up until the store update this afternoon/evening.

I tested the video playback and 1080p worked without a hitch. Once you've set up wireless file transfers with a PC that it will show up as a location inside the music, video and photo apps so you no longer have to launch the content manager first to connect and move files. The video player also let's you scrub through scenes with a full motion preview, or change the playback speed on a video by tapping up and down on the dpad during playback now.

The plus games won't show up until the store update this afternoon/evening.

I tested the video playback and 1080p worked without a hitch. Once you've set up wireless file transfers with a PC that it will show up as a location inside the music, video and photo apps so you no longer have to launch the content manager first to connect and move files. The video player also let's you scrub through scenes with a full motion preview, or change the playback speed on a video by tapping up and down on the dpad during playback now.

Do you mean a video can now be streamed or do you still need to copy?

format still stuck with mp4 right? Damn sony need to get the DLNA app out fast. Or someone can still make a video player with PSM beta sdk and release unofficially like the remote desktop so no need to pay for licenses.

Do you mean a video can now be streamed or do you still need to copy?

I had hoped they secretly added streaming, but when you click on the files it tells you that they must be copied for playback. Tried with videos and music. Still, it seems like they're laying the groundwork for DLNA in the media apps.

Back