Vita FW 2.00 - PS Plus, Browser 2.0, Mail App

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Next week, we're getting Vita Firmware uipdate 2.0, which contains the following major improvements:

- Browser upgrade (html5test.org has some specs already showing massive improvement in HTML5 compatibility). This one apparently no longer Netfront based (also has a 'tweet link' option)
- Mail app (up to 5 accounts, notifications of new mail through the notification stream)
- Playstation Plus, starting with some pretty big titles (Uncharted, WipeOut, Gravity Rush/Days, Jet Set Radio, Mutant Blobs Attack
- 1080p video playback
- Content Manager now works over WiFi
- Content Manager supports synching stuff to Cloud

Pretty sweet upgrade! And coming much faster than I thought :)

Mail app? Pretty useless I would say.

Plus seems nice though, even though the US will get a much better version than Europe....

need to drop the DLNA app soon, and I dont think the browser support multi tasking which they had promised before the system even came out.

It's nice that they add support for those things, but how much does it really matter? I mean, the people who buy a vita are very likely to also own a smartphone already. A device much more suited for internet/mail and if you got a decent phone released about 1 ~ 2 years ago chances are quite big that it too can play 1080p video in just about any format and comes with hdmi out.

true that, but some ppl also use their smartphones and tablet to watch video in their room with no TV. Me myself do that. Thats why I hope they add DLNA support to stream from PC.

Mail app? Pretty useless I would say.

Let's say you're browsing, and you need to register something, say, for a forum, and you need to validate your login account by mail. Or you're on the road with your Vita somewhere and you need to recover your password. Can be pretty useful then.

As for the Vita's browser: asynchronous script execution flag is tagged in the new version, not in the old version. Application Cache ditto. Session Storage, Local Storage, and Web SQL Database, ditto.

Personally, my biggest disappointment is that it doesn't support any sound features yet, but other than that it seems pretty much all it needs to be for me at the moment.

I wonder who's behind it, if NetFront is no longer doing it. Are they doing it in-house perhaps?

For me, the Vita is the best portable screen I have. The iPad is nice too, but not as portable, and my phone is an iPhone 3GS that doesn't even come close. Youtube on the Vita is very good.

Apart from 1080p, there's also subtitle support by the way, which is nice.

Let's say you're browsing, and you need to register something, say, for a forum, and you need to validate your login account by mail. Or you're on the road with your Vita somewhere and you need to recover your password. Can be pretty useful then.

As for the Vita's browser: asynchronous script execution flag is tagged in the new version, not in the old version. Application Cache ditto. Session Storage, Local Storage, and Web SQL Database, ditto.

Personally, my biggest disappointment is that it doesn't support any sound features yet, but other than that it seems pretty much all it needs to be for me at the moment.

I wonder who's behind it, if NetFront is no longer doing it. Are they doing it in-house perhaps?

For me, the Vita is the best portable screen I have. The iPad is nice too, but not as portable, and my phone is an iPhone 3GS that doesn't even come close. Youtube on the Vita is very good.

Apart from 1080p, there's also subtitle support by the way, which is nice.

I want my Netflix, Lovefilm, and DNLA support. And I want them NOW *stamps foot*...

I want my Netflix, Lovefilm, and DNLA support. And I want them NOW *stamps foot*...

I wouldn't be surprised if the new HTML5 engine for Vita used in the new browser will also eventually power these apps (Netflix, Lovefilm), as I think they're HTML5 based on PS3 now as well.

I tweeted Yoshida (SCEWW boss) about when are multi task web browsers and DLNA app being release, he replied "soon". By Sony standard, soon can be real soon or a few years later lol, but at least we know they are still coming.

anyone know if this upgraded HTML5 engine good enough for something like web base TEAM VIEWER?

I don't know, depends on what HTML5 features that would depend on. But the Vita's webbrowser does not yet support any audio or video, so if it uses that, that would be a problem.

@Gitaroo: ah, when you are talking about multi-task, you mean that the webbrowser won't ask you to close the other game or app you have open. The current webbrowser already supports that, which you can see when you open the app browser by clicking a link in the Twitter application.

It's possible that the new webbrowser will support this kind of 'multi-tasking' by simply using memory card space, like the Youtube App does (it once asked me to free up 640MB of space on my then full memory card when I was watching John Carmack's 3-hour keynote on my Vita).

I mean browsing the net and playing games at the same time. It forces me to close down either the game or the browser. 3DS support web browser and game at the same time without closing down one of them. I don't know why Vita when reserving 1 more powerful CPU core and probably more ram has to force you to close. Even if they restrict the browser functionality like turning off Java script it would have been better. I just want gamefaqs + gaming at the same time. I believe they promised this before the system even launched. They said the Vita OS was design for multi tasking, so far its a pretty horrible one.

They just haven't made up their mind yet what to do with it. It can run together with other Apps as you can see if you open it through Twitter (which is an easy workaround atm) and it even handles lack of memory for big pages gracefully, prompting you to close whatever game you have open.

Now that they've settled on the new browser I'm sure they'll make a decision on this one soon as well if they haven't already.

I'm also curious if they'll give access to it in Playstation Mobile. If you compare it with Android 4's browser and detract the points for audio, video and other stuff not relevant for Vita, it is very similar (and maybe even slightly better)

ya I know you can play music and browse etc, you can even do that on PSP. What really important for myself personally is game + browsing. So I can use guides if I wanted to. Video or not is not important for it if it can just handle some site with all text. I just wish the the 6 slides you open with the PS buttons offers multi tasking you can switch back and forward without having to close any of them. But that might be asking too much...

ya I know you can play music and browse etc, you can even do that on PSP. What really important for myself personally is game + browsing. So I can use guides if I wanted to. Video or not is not important for it if it can just handle some site with all text. I just wish the the 6 slides you open with the PS buttons offers multi tasking you can switch back and forward without having to close any of them. But that might be asking too much...

You are not listening. Do I need to make a video? Start a game, then start the Twitter app, then click on a webpage link in the Twitter app, and the Browser will open, without asking you to close the game. And then you can go between the game and the browser as you please.

Edit: of course I don't have to make a video. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....114.1617.27j2.29.0...0.0...1ac.1.dqv42rWuKYQ

so twitter app is the middle man all the time? Thought you were just saying Twitter + Web browser works fine, but when I launch a game then web browser it forces me to close.

so twitter app is the middle man all the time? Thought you were just saying Twitter + Web browser works fine, but when I launch a game then web browser it forces me to close.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The twitter app is a 'loop hole' for opening the browser while you have a game open.

Back