New Lair pics

I'm sure the final product will look gobsmaking fantastic one way or the other. The part of me that wants to show off my new PS3 want to buy lair.

However, the little sliver of my being that is still controlled by my brain says get Warhawk for flight-action fix. I'll be dollars to doughnuts Warhawk will be the better game, presentation aside. Incognito is way underrated.

BTW- my recomendation of the week.
Try Downhill Domination. It's the only mountain biking game I know of and it is just excellent on all levels. Many have written it off as a me-too extreme sports kinda-racer. Downhill makes a mockery of any atv or motocross racer out there. Point to point tracks that all go straight down... and no anoying droning engine noises!!

BTW- my recomendation of the week.
Try Downhill Domination. It's the only mountain biking game I know of and it is just excellent on all levels. Many have written it off as a me-too extreme sports kinda-racer. Downhill makes a mockery of any atv or motocross racer out there. Point to point tracks that all go straight down... and no anoying droning engine noises!!
QFT.

You don't know how much me and a couple friends had fun playing this game. Seriously an underrated racing title. I'd recommend this to anyone. I can only hope they could make a next gen version in the future.

That said, along with Lair, I'm really starting to wonder how warhawk is looking right about now. We havent seen it since e3, and looking at the way other launch titles are shaping up, makes you wonder how WH is looking like.

a) the screenshot is downsized. This has consistantly been producing such great "AA" that I wonder if all games should just render at 1080 and let you choose between high res and downscaling.

b) There's that little Sony watermark in the corner. This shot passed thru several sets of hands to get public. At some point somebody probably did decide to smooth it out a bit. It's just the norm now. Sucks. I'm just saying it's more likely than not.

example (a bit exagerated):

lair03copyug1.jpg

ss04.jpg

This screenshot is at the Japanese website. Is it real? If so it would go against a few things I've heard. Who knows?
I don't know why your sceptical. There's been one rough looking image that doesn't fit with any of the others, including the realtime demos we've seen, and suddenly loads of people think that one image is true and all the others are false. I see no technical reason why the above image isn't 'real'. People should check out the Project Offset dragon demo to see another high-quality dragon in realtime. And that's a handful of guys in someone's bedroom! (okay, they've moved to offices now, but bedroom coders are so much cooler!). Why think Factor 5 can't manage any better than a bad-PS2 title on PS3, given they're track record and what other devs are creating on other hardware?

Looks like CG.

Not to me. For example: the part where the wing is attached to the body (behind the pilot) looks fishy. The IQ as a whole also isn't that great IMHO. But that could be a side effect of the scaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why your sceptical. There's been one rough looking image that doesn't fit with any of the others, including the realtime demos we've seen, and suddenly loads of people think that one image is true and all the others are false. I see no technical reason why the above image isn't 'real'. People should check out the Project Offset dragon demo to see another high-quality dragon in realtime. And that's a handful of guys in someone's bedroom! (okay, they've moved to offices now, but bedroom coders are so much cooler!). Why think Factor 5 can't manage any better than a bad-PS2 title on PS3, given they're track record and what other devs are creating on other hardware?

Actually I don't find that image that amazing. It's certainly not CG, as in prerendered. Just look at the wings, etc. I am pretty much certain that real-time. The battle-scene (the one with the dragon landing) is far more impressive IMO.

Looks like CG.

Does it? To me it just looks like a very clean antialiased realtime shot. The lighting is very much realtime material (=flat). CG would jump at your eyes due to the lighting, unless it's really bad CG obviously.

To be honest i expected a bit more on the lighting front, after all we've seen in the past. The latest shots look a bit on the flat side for some reason. The poly counts are there but the shading and the lighting are just not what they were before. Could be bad shots but now i think that the truth is starting to reveal itself i think.

Any links to prove either idea? To be honest i was sure it was F5's own engine, but i could very well be wrong.

I believed that F5 uses an own engine too, of course I've to search a link, give me some time while I'm at work

Edit: I couldn't find any link to give evidences, I found only discussion between users, some says it's using UE3, some say otherwise, I failed to find F5's words about the engine, they talks about assets but never says a word about the engine, almost on the web.
I remember that lair is using UE3 because I thought this was strange for factor5, but until we'll find any evidence, take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believed that F5 uses an own engine too, of course I've to search a link, give me some time while I'm at work

Edit: I couldn't find any link to give evidences, I found only discussion between users, some says it's using UE3, some say otherwise, I failed to find F5's words about the engine, they talks about assets but never says a word about the engine, almost on the web.
I remember that lair is using UE3 because I thought this was strange for factor5, but until we'll find any evidence, take this with a grain of salt.

It's just a rumour, nothing more. There's zip evidence for F5 using UE3. Given their history of always developing their own engines, it's highly likely Lair is using an in-house engine.

It's just a rumour, nothing more. There's zip evidence for F5 using UE3. Given their history of always developing their own engines, it's highly likely Lair is using an in-house engine.

Just a hunch, but i think it would be fairly trivial to find evidence that Factor 5 are using the UE3 from Epic themselves. They have a "bragging" list somewhere of all the studios that licensed the engine, to show that it's so good that loads of devs are using it. I'm sure that if Factor5 were using the UE3, it would be written somewhere. It would be good marketing and publicity for Epic, so it wouldn't be a secret.

But that's just an idea i had, you never know...

Not every game has a HUD. Soometimes for promotional purposes HUDs are switched off.
no energy bar
Not every game has an energy bar. How do you know there's even an 'energy' in this game? Perhaps it's one hit - one kill?
a lot of antialiasing (8x?)
1) It's downsampled. Could be looking at 2x or 4x AA with downsampling adding to IQ. 2) You're surprised by AA in a promo shot?! It's common as muck to show in game engine with AA that the real game hasn't got.
in a UE3 game
an opinon for which there's no evidence. Just 'coz a game has normal mapping, doesn't make it UE3.0, as a lot of folks seem to believe.
and so on..
Please, continue!

The lighting isn't great, there's no translucency to the wings, the texture quality isn't mindblowing, and there's very little to the scene. Why doubt this could be managed in realtime, when other games have just as much detail?

Some people expect far too much from next-gen, while others expect far too little!

Back