New glasses advice needed.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
It's been about a decade since I got new glasses, and I'm going in tomorrow for my appt.

I was leaning towards rimless w/anti-glare coating, any other advice/opinions?

digitalwanderer said:
It's been about a decade since I got new glasses, and I'm going in tomorrow for my appt.

I was leaning towards rimless w/anti-glare coating, any other advice/opinions?

Well it kinda depends on a lot of things. Do you have a strong prescription? If you do then you should go high index plastic lenses. Also if you prefer a single dual use pair then try to find one with magnetpic clip-ons. Also light and flexible frames. I'm currently using semi-rimless, anti-glare, light flexible with magnetic clip-ons.

What are magnet clip-ons? I do have a rather strong prescription and was planning on getting ultra-thin lenses.

Never mind, found it. I'll make sure to check/get that too, thanks. :)

I had my anti-glare chip off ~12 months on my last glasses. I did not get it again because I was informed they carry a 12 month money back guarantee on the coating, but tough luck after that. I liked the additional clarity it offered, but did not appreciate the poor quality. If you have insurance and get free lenses every year go with it, if not consider if you wallet can take the hit.

I have insurance, I think I'll go for it. :cool:

Thanks for the heads-up though, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

AR coating helps clarity? I thought it was just for how the lenses looked.

Get self cleaning ones.
My glasses are all foggy and funny.

I haven't cleaned my glasses since I got them last year. How do I clean them?
Can I use dishwashing liquid or ethanol(Metholayted spirits)?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Get self cleaning ones.
My glasses are all foggy and funny.

Can I use dishwashing liquid or ethanol(Metholayted spirits)?
silk cloth or a tissue should work.

digitalwanderer said:

They look good, hadnt heard of magnetic clipons before either. One problem I always find with glasses this shape is I cant see what I'm eating unless I look directly down which gives a bit of a crimp in the neck for big meals.

K.I.L.E.R said:

A find a bit of breath and part of my t-shirt works wonders.

I'm considering getting laser surgery now. I use contacts about 50% of the time but they are a bit of a hassle. I really like the idea of waking up in the morning and been able to see straight away.

digitalwanderer said:
AR coating helps clarity? I thought it was just for how the lenses looked.

Anti-glare isn't to stop your glasses looking shiny to the outside world :LOL: . It about taking the glare off the things you are looking at. It works like a polarizing filter on a camera lens, meaning that when you look at reflective things like water, the glare is removed - hence "anti-glare".

_xxx_ said:
Dunno the english description, but the glasses which darken in the sunlight are nice.
Photosensitive lenses are apparantly a bad idea for people with non-uniform vision defects (where the lens isn't an even shape/thickness), or where one eye has poorer eyesight than the other...

Guden Oden said:
Photosensitive lenses are apparantly a bad idea for people with non-uniform vision defects (where the lens isn't an even shape/thickness), or where one eye has poorer eyesight than the other...

Ahh, have it, it's "phototropic". Where did you get that nonsense from? I have both those probs and have been wearing these glasses for some 15 years without any negative effects. Nor have I ever heard of that. Also, you can get these for non-uniform effects just as well.

What you mean is maybe the kind that was around ten years ago, the newer ones are much better. Also, these (called "Transitions", as the company which holds the patent) also get dark even in a car, which the previous didn't do because of the low amount of UV passing through the car windows (mineral glass absorbs some ~98% of UV-light).

According to my optometrist, those transition lenses lose their ability to transition over time sometimes as quickly as a year. I also I don't like the inability to control the transitions. Sometimes I take off my clip-ons on a sunny day.

_xxx_ said:
Ahh, have it, it's "phototropic".

Also known as Photochromic too.

_xxx_ said:
What you mean is maybe the kind that was around ten years ago, the newer ones are much better.

Are the new ones better wrt the darkness the lenses achieve? I know the old ones used to be a little dark indoors and not quite dark enough outside. The "transition" ones shown in the advert look good, clear indoors dark outside with quick transitions, but it looks a little too good to be true.

I only find them annoying in snow sometimes, they get dark as hell even if it's not a sunny day, that looks just "too cool" sometimes... :LOL:

Jabbah said:
Are the new ones better wrt the darkness the lenses achieve? I know the old ones used to be a little dark indoors and not quite dark enough outside. The "transition" ones shown in the advert look good, clear indoors dark outside with quick transitions, but it looks a little too good to be true.

They are much faster and also more sensitive, so they even get up to 50% in the car. Max. 90% in the sun/snow. But testing them is easy - not more than visiting your local optometrist and doing a comparison by holding both in the sun for a minute and looking at them on a white piece of paper afterwards :)

EDIT: but these are also not entirely clear indoors, though to me at least it's neglectable.

EDIT2: these also absorb UV-light 100%, so it's also a good thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Jabbah said:
A find a bit of breath and part of my t-shirt works wonders.
You and me both buddy. :)

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Anti-glare isn't to stop your glasses looking shiny to the outside world :LOL: . It about taking the glare off the things you are looking at. It works like a polarizing filter on a camera lens, meaning that when you look at reflective things like water, the glare is removed - hence "anti-glare".
Ah, ok thanks. :oops:

See why I posted this up now rather than after my appt? ;)

If it is only polarized then why is it some cheesy coating? Can't they build the polarization in as they do with sunglasses?

And DW my reccomendation is Lasik :)

Edit:
Oh nevermind, they cannot build polarizatio in b/c the lenses are not all built the same, duh... I didn't think about it as I don't wear glasses.

Sxotty said:
And DW my reccomendation is Lasik :)
Its "cheaper" but I couldnt take the risk of being the 1% that dosent reach driving standards. Wavefront all the way, yeah baby :smile:

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Anti-glare isn't to stop your glasses looking shiny to the outside world . It about taking the glare off the things you are looking at. It works like a polarizing filter on a camera lens, meaning that when you look at reflective things like water, the glare is removed - hence "anti-glare".

No, it is to stop light reflecting off the lenses into your eyes - How Stuff Works

Jabbah said:
Its "cheaper" but I couldnt take the risk of being the 1% that dosent reach driving standards.
Thats unless its just a marketing gimik to persuade you to pay twice the price for the wavefront process.

Well, you could always go for the option where they slice off your cornea and stick a lense into your eye and then glue the cornea back on.

Back