New glasses advice needed.

I'm considering lasik for myself too, might even do it this summer. I know a few people who did it and they're all doing fine and are happy with the results. None of them wears glasses now either.

Wavefront is what exactly?

Wavefront
It is still basically LASIK/LASEK type laser surgery but tailored to the exact shape of your eye. Every bump and defect of your cornea, lenses, retina etc are taken into account rather than an overall shape. I'm considering getting it done too, not sure which to go for yet between the LASIK and wavefront options. Its currently about £400 per eye for LASIK and £800 per eye for Wavefront :oops:

Just reviewing my vision insurance and it says I got a $180 allowance for frames and AR coating is fully covered as well as polycarbonate lenses. :cool:

Lasik is NOT fully covered, it's a "discount on services" item, so double "no" to lasers in the eyeballs for me.

One bummer, looks like I'm only allowed one pair of contacts OR glasses per year...but their year starts in June so if I pick up something now I can get the other next month.

Schweet! :D

AR/scratch resistance/UV/polycarbonate are all fully covered! :) This is going to be fun!!!!

(Yeah, I get excited about new glasses.....forgive me for enjoying life. ;) )

Sxotty said:
And DW my reccomendation is Lasik :)

Well you see, the thing is, I'd do Lasik but I'm on my last pair of eyes!
That percentage of people who suffer the side-effect that they call "perpetual darkness" scares the shit out of me!

Mize said:
Well you see, the thing is, I'd do Lasik but I'm on my last pair of eyes!
That percentage of people who suffer the side-effect that they call "perpetual darkness" scares the shit out of me!
My mom got it a few years ago and it worked perfect.

From what I have heard it is very important not to go to the cheapest place, and to go to a Dr. who will turn you down. Certain people are not good candidates and a lot of Dr.s will do it anyway although the odds of it not working are much higher. I would prefer to go to a guy who charges more does a better job and turns people away who are risky that way you know in advance.

The halo effect is a common thing to, where all lights have a halo like you are in the fog.

Anyway the Dr. that did my mom turned away sme of her friends who got it doen elsewhere afterwards for less and it worked perfectly as well, but if someone turned me down b/c it was risky I would leave well enough alone myself.

My dad is going to do it this summer as well, hopefully everything works out well.

If you are an active individual glasses are just such a pain, (snow sports, scuba) it is much nicer to get rid of them. If you are sedentary it doesn't much matter.

digitalwanderer said:
Funny thing? When I scuba my vision is actually pretty good because of the way the mask magnifies everything. :)

They make prescription masks DW, they are just more expensive, and when you prescription changes you have to buy a new mask.

You need to dive in some clear water, then you will realize it does matter :)

I assume you are near sighted only b/c if you were not it should be obvious that you are not seeing clearly.

Either way though if you dive alot you need to try a prescription mask to see what you are missing out on.

What I don't get about Lasik and other laser cornea modifications is that eyesight degradation is a result of reduced lense elasticity and tends to progress throughout life (old farts have thicker glasses). If you lasik at 30 then do you wind up with another procedure or glasses by 50?

Sxotty said:
Either way though if you dive alot you need to try a prescription mask to see what you are missing out on.
I don't dive a lot and haven't in about 15 years, but I'm a P.A.D.I. certified advanced open water diver. :)

I have dove clear water, the Cayman Islands back in the early 80s....beautiful. :)

Well that was fun! :D

Ended up getting some silicon something contacts that I can leave in for a month and a pair of glasses that weren't quite what I was looking for but I'm happy with.
(I couldn't go rimless because of my script, it wouldn't have looked good.)

I'm still a little hesitant about the whole "sleeping with my contacts in", but I figure I still got about a few days before that happens.
(It's been a few years since I did contacts, I gotta build up the time again. :rolleyes: )

Thanks for all the help all! :D

digitalwanderer said:
Funny thing? When I scuba my vision is actually pretty good because of the way the mask magnifies everything. :)

Have you tried pinhole glasses?

Mize said:
What I don't get about Lasik and other laser cornea modifications is that eyesight degradation is a result of reduced lense elasticity and tends to progress throughout life (old farts have thicker glasses). If you lasik at 30 then do you wind up with another procedure or glasses by 50?

This is why it's not a permanent solution and not everyone is an ideal candidate for laser surgery. It is known that having laser surgery early in your life will also cause you to need reading glasses sooner. It's kind of a tradeoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
I'm still a little hesitant about the whole "sleeping with my contacts in", but I figure I still got about a few days before that happens.
(It's been a few years since I did contacts, I gotta build up the time again. :rolleyes: )

Thanks for all the help all! :D

My sisters both gave up on contacts after one too many eye infections. Apparently there are several types of bugs that love to live under contacts.

Back