New Forza Screens! (yes they look good)

Peeps have seen it on the show floor and I guess the framerate is pretty poor and it looks like... yeah. .
well thats interesting news :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I thought the game engine was almost done. forget about the graphics.

edit: here's gamespot commenting on the demo. its the same demo from tgs.

The damage model, which was discussed in the previous preview, certainly did look impressive
as we took a lap to simply bash our ride into as many objects as possible.
damit! demo!! I am so bored of reading this stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Peeps have seen it on the show floor and I guess the framerate is pretty poor and it looks like... yeah. Hint to MS: If you are gonna show CGI, promise near CGI quality, near-photorealistic, and blow PGR3 out of the water ("it is a launch title" - Dan), and list off a laundry list of graphical effects, well, you better live up to it!

GRAW had a nice upswing after its delay so there is hope, but everything from FM2 doesn't appear to have the right lighting or color balance and their early PR shots were horrible angles and they were dogmatic that they looked really good... I would have more confidence if they said, "WIP, and very, very rough we know, pretty ugly at this point, but most of the render effects are disabled for stability".

For what it's worth, you are right in placing the blame on MS and not on Turn 10, here's what Che had to say:

Just a note on the tires guys, I've been told that the tire LOD feature just got implemented today, so what you're looking at in these screenshots is a low LOD of the tire/rim model.

While we're excited to show you screenshots of the game, if we had our way, we'd not show Forza 2 until it's 100% done. But reality and marketing does not work like that, and hence, we have to make the best of an incomplete game.

Hope you guys understand...

°

and here's something that sort of ..goes along with forza:

260906232316_1big.jpg

260906232316_2big.jpg

:cool:

Wireless? :???: What about the PSU? Unless of course it doesn't feature any force feedback... Well, in any case, Microsoft should just dump this and instead licence the new Logitech wheel (900°, 6 speed gearbox + clutch)...

Wireless? :???: What about the PSU? Unless of course it doesn't feature any force feedback... Well, in any case, Microsoft should just dump this and instead licence the new Logitech wheel (900°, 6 speed gearbox + clutch)...

Any idea on how much power this thing really uses and why they couldn't have gone for some mondo rechargeable lithium ion battery?

Well, unless the player has the strength of a 5 year old, I doubt you'd want to power a force-feedback wheel off a lithium-ion battery... I guess I don't know this for a fact, but if I take the Driving Force Pro (Logitech wheel and official wheel for GT4), I really doubt it could be powered of a battery since it's really quite powerful. On the other hand, I haven't seen a wheel yet that tried to attempt powering itself off a battery...

I'm sickened by all the bitching about the graphics.

Last year, when PGR3 was coming out, EVERY racing fan was bitching about it being 30 fps, and most of them said that they would sacrifice graphical detail to achieve 60fps. Then we get Forza 2, which although isnt at the standard of PGR3 graphics (yet), is running at 60fps with HDR, proper damage modeling (which PGR3 doesnt have) and so on. And what do we get? Everyone bitching about the graphics.

I say, The internet is sure one hard customer!

Excellent graphics, lighting, damage, plus 60 FPS is definitely doable and should be expected for next gen racers like Forza and GT. The untapped potential of these consoles guarantee it. The lighting in those screens don't seem very realistic, but maybe that's the style they're going for.

I'm sickened by all the bitching about the graphics.

Last year, when PGR3 was coming out, EVERY racing fan was bitching about it being 30 fps, and most of them said that they would sacrifice graphical detail to achieve 60fps. Then we get Forza 2, which although isnt at the standard of PGR3 graphics (yet), is running at 60fps with HDR, proper damage modeling (which PGR3 doesnt have) and so on. And what do we get? Everyone bitching about the graphics.

You misunderstand the criticism completely.

1. It was they hype coming from their own dev lead who said stuff like "near photo realism" and approaching the CGI, and blowing PGR3 out of the water. i.e. They set the expectation.

2. Dan devoted a bit of time hyping certain graphical features, specifically noting this gen was not about polys, but about all the various rendering techniques. Most of those have been missing.

3. The stream of CGI footage set a pretty high and lofty expectation. Turn 10 has not been too excited about the CGIs, but they are what they are and Dan noted that they would be very close to them (they are, afterall, using the games models and textures).

4. They are 1st party and are expected to churn out high quality AAA titles, across the board. That is the difference between a 1st party title and an "also-ran" 3rd party title.

As you can see, the foundation of the criticisms isn't the PGR3 analogy you draw, but based on the hyped coming out of MS itself. I doubt many of us would be expecting near-CGI and blowing PGR3 out of the water if the dev lead didn't set that bar.

I hope they hit that mark, and with the delay they may, but right now it is obviously NOT what they expected to deliver. Even they accept this as fact--thus the delay.

Then we get Forza 2, which although isnt at the standard of PGR3 graphics (yet), is running at 60fps with HDR

Btw, the game isn't running anywhere near 60fps at this time; not even stable 30fps.

My post wasn't even in relation or reply to yours Acert93. I havent read it truth be told. My post is just more general.

acert, can I please have your "whats wrong/missing" list for GT:HD?

I mean, you seem to make the most complete lists, and I havent seen one for that.

thanks

acert, can I please have your "whats wrong/missing" list for GT:HD?

I mean, you seem to make the most complete lists, and I havent seen one for that.

thanks

Now why would he do that ? hmm

PD haven't been yapping their mouths off and GT HD is coming along nicely which frankly neither I nor majority of people expected .

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the new bullshots Turn 10 keeps releasing. Why don't they just give us direct feed captures?

dont you see the pics I posted two messages above? http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=841288&postcount=72

they are not from Turn10, but they are no freakin' bullshots either.
they are photographs taken off the tv on the demo pods.
pretty sick if you ask me.

I'm talking about the bullshots on www.forzamotorsports.net and all of the game media websites are hosting them.

The damage shots look excellent though, but it's too hard to see how detailed it is. I'm excited for it. Definately a day one purchase if you ask me! :D

You misunderstand the criticism completely.

In my opinion you are being far too hard on these guys at Turn 10.

#1. The game is not finished. In fact, it's anywhere from 4-6months away from release.

#2. MS PR is forcing them to release screens before they would like to.

At least wait until the game is close to completion before reeming out the Turn 10 team for missing features, obviously if they are being forced to release screens before they would like, some features will be missing!

Back