Two Worlds II, my impression...

warcrow

Regular
I've been in need of a fun, open world WRPG for months. Two Worlds 2 was on sale at Kmart for $40 so I decided to pick it up and form my own opinions about this incredibly divisive game.

So let's get to it, but first please keeping in mind that I've played the game for roughly 4-5 hours.

First off--the voice acting is awful. It's bad. Really bad. The protagonist is especially offensive because he cannot--nay, he will not--get excited about ANYTHING. And he insists on speaking through his throat, mumbling & bumbling his way through conversations much in the same way a 68 year old Harrison Ford does. At one point in the game I ran into a thug, and I swear to god it sounded like it was probably the sound engineers mother tucking her chin in, pushing her chest out and grunting to sound like a burly man.

Initially the melee combat has consisted of wack-wack-wacking my opponents as I mash the buttons. The temperamental "auto" targeting tries to do its job, but it's usually no help. It's kind of a mess. Ranged combat seems to be ok, and if leveled up correctly could probably be great. I havent messed around with the spell casting/magic crafting but it looks pretty cool and unique.

The inventory system is a mess. There is no way (that I'm aware of) to sort your items, which gets to be more tedious as you collected stuff. TW2 actually has a fairly robust crafting system and you do collect a ton of stuff from all over. That coupled with the fact that you have the ability to tear down items for their essential parts (iron, leather, etc) in your inventory to cannibalize and augment existing items, or even craft new ones.

The first hour of the game is drab, tedious and practically a waste of time. I seriously considered turning the thing off and counting my loses. But once the world opened up I found myself pushing forward to see what was around the corner. I mean despite all these flaws I began to push forward to see what's next.

Reality Pump, the developers, really do love their graphical effects and are so not ashamed to prove it. Every road I roamed seemed to lead to into horizon blinding me with god rays. I don't think I've ever seen a game abuse HDR, bloom and DoF (depth of field) quite like this game. The character models vary from This-Is-My-First-3D-Render to average, but are never really good. The animations are janky, at times uncomfortable to watch and rarely amusing.

And yet despite all the bad, once I got past the first hour and the game opened itself up, for whatever reason I couldn't stop playing. I began to see past the flaws and noticed a bit of charm.

As I leveled up, my character gained the ability to dual-wield weapons and learn effective combat moves. The combat went from a flailing atrocity to something doable. The environments have varied enough to keep me interested, and admittedly have made me stop in my tracks a few times. Those sun-drenched visuals have their moments where they create spectacular vistas. The sense of discovery is there, and has it's way of pulling down unexplored paths. The lock picking mini-game is actually kinda fun, and definitely above the ME2 and oblivion's. There is a ton of loot to be had, and with the fast travel system is easy enough to sell off. The crafting system is effective and rewarding to use.

Also there are things I haven't done yet: Finding and riding a mount, sailing, magic crafting and spell use, gambling, mulitplayer and probably more that I'm not even aware exists.

Wrap that all up together and the game has turned into something that's getting more and more fun to play. I think part of the sway is thanks to me desire to play an open world WRPG, and it's began to scratch that inch. But really a player shouldn't be expected to tread through as much as you have to do in Two Worlds 2 to find something enjoyable.

I'll continue to report back on how things go, but honestly I'm looking forward to getting home later today and playing. That's gotta mean something...

I'm really surprised about the quality of tech graphic, especially on the ps3, but I haven't the game, I have just seen some gameplay video in justintv. Strange no one talk of it, because to my eyes the engine is pretty interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
(edit - beaten by dragonelite :p)

Oh and here are some cool resources for those adventurous enough to join me in playing.

Console Commands: Surprisingly this game features a console much like a lot of PC games where you can enter commands. This allows one to alter some graphical effects to either increase the frame rate or avoid annoyances like too much bloom. Here's how it works on the X360 for anyone who's interested(it's also featured on the PS3, I dont know the commands though):

When you're in the game (not the menus) hold down the RB & LB buttons and input the following:

Start, Up (D-Dad), Start, Down (D-Pad).

Done correctly yields a black box to enter the commands. Hit "X" and the virtual keyboard comes up. The following are a few graphical commands i've played with. It's up to you to determine what's worthwhile:

cam.bank.move 0 - Reduces camera wobble
engine.bloommultiplier 0 - Turns off bloom
engine.edgeaablend 0 - Forces AA on objects
engine.mblurscale 0 - Turns off motion blur
engine.usedof 0 - Remove DOF
graph.enablefog 0 - Removes fog
graph.setfastrunspecialefx 0 0 0.0 - Remove fast running motion blur

It's important to note that you do have to enter these codes every time you load your game.Also, I have no idea why these awesome commands are not included in the menu system. :/

Free Downloads I tested these yesterday (1/31/11) and all but 2 did not work. I didnt take notes and dont recall which are invalid. These are used once you're in the game, just hit the start button and bring up the menu system:

Anathros Sword: 6770-8976-1634-9490
Axe: 1775-3623-3298-1928
Dragon Armor: 4149-3083-9823-6545
Elexorie Two Handed Sword: 3542-3274-8350-6064
Hammer: 6231-1890-4345-5988
Lucienda Sword: 9122-5287-3591-0927
Scroll- Bonus Map: 6972-5760-7685-8477
Two Handed Hammer: 3654-0091-3399-0994

Also, here is a picture of the game taken off screen:

DSC_8086.jpg

You are so correct about the bloody item management. During your travels you will inevitably collect massive amounts of trash. Actually trash is pretty much all you'll ever collect. Besides breaking it down into raw materials, loot in TW2 is almost entirely pointless. This means you will spend insane amounts of time in the menu, breaking down each piece of loot individually. It's almost like in the end game of Mass Effect 1, except there's no way to just turn everything into omni-gel automatically. The inventory needs a grouping function real bad, so you can just bunch a couple of items together and disassemble them all with one click.

Wow this is one buggy piece of crap...lol Why does it seem like there is one voice actor and he is modifying his voice for each character...lol

Hearing all the complaints about bugs suprises me a little.
While I think the PC version (the version I played) was a highly mediocre game, it did run well and was never anything but perfectly stable (at version 1.0 no less). No quest glitches either. I played the game in German and I'd rate the voice acting somewhere between passable and good. It was probably one of the game's better aspects.

You should check out our PC thread for more impressions. The game is freaking gorgeous. Granted these shots are maxed out DX10 mode minus MSAA, but it looks pretty good with lower settings in DX9 mode too.

During your travels you will inevitably collect massive amounts of trash. Actually trash is pretty much all you'll ever collect. Besides breaking it down into raw materials, loot in TW2 is almost entirely pointless. This means you will spend insane amounts of time in the menu, breaking down each piece of loot individually.

I am not trying to sound argumentative but is not the whole point of a loot system in an RPG like this to spend lots of time micromanaging it?

The inventory system definitely has faults (it will happily let you sell equipped gear to a merchant without a warning, no indication that an item is used by another loadout, etc.) but the fact you spend lots of time breaking stuff down, combining and rebuilding is exactly what should be expected of it. I see it more like if crafting was added to Borderlands loot mechanism (so even crap items have a purpose).

Cheers

I was interested in this game, but that interest dropped off a cliff when I found out they keep single player and co-op saves separate. They did the same for the first TW and I thought it was stupid. I can understand the need to design two different campaigns for SP and co-op, but why can't I use my character between the two modes seamlessly??

Awesome that they kept the command console in the ps360 versions. More games should do that IMO

Now all we need is user controlled and modded dedicated servers.
When they announce that i will be crying happy tears:cry:

Section 8 allowed user created/controlled dedicated servers for console versions.

So that's a step :D

Shame that section 8 didn't take off.
I mean we already got install,patches,dlc and other pc related thing to gaming so i think it's fair we can have the option to host our own servers.

I am not trying to sound argumentative but is not the whole point of a loot system in an RPG like this to spend lots of time micromanaging it?

The inventory system definitely has faults (it will happily let you sell equipped gear to a merchant without a warning, no indication that an item is used by another loadout, etc.) but the fact you spend lots of time breaking stuff down, combining and rebuilding is exactly what should be expected of it. I see it more like if crafting was added to Borderlands loot mechanism (so even crap items have a purpose).

Cheers

I think this isn't micromanaging anymore. This is taking 20 identical axes or swords or whatever (because the same enemies drop essentially the same gear each time you kill them. For example, if you kill 25 skeletons in a dungeon, you'll end up with 25 identical swords, armors etc.) and disambling them one after another. There is no thought involved at all. There's no comparing stats, you just click yourself through a mountain of crap.

You have your choice - you can break them up for spare components, sell them or drop them. When I need iron to upgrade my fave axe I am pretty happy to have all those skeleton swords kicking around. My playtime is about 25 hours now I don't find the process particularly tedious.

As an aside, I only just hit "part II" of the story line and still have quests left from the first section so Two Worlds II is a big game.

Cheers

Back