New cars?

horvendile said:
What I do not understand is* arguments concerning the need for a SUV. I hear that a lot here in Sweden. "You don't need a SUV." Well, no. And I don't strictly need broadband either, or a Playstation, or my favorite cognac. But what kind of argument is that? Since when do I have the right to dictate that other people should only buy things they strictly need for their survival? That is a mentality don't approve of.

And no, I don't drive a SUV, nor do I plan to buy one.
*Should that be "is" or "are"?

My problem with SUVs, is just a personal one, because I think they are big, ugly , waste too much gas and are not as quick as "normal" cars. I don't think they should be banned just because I don't like them. I understand it's a matter of personal taste for those who don't NEED them but have them anyway.

horvendile said:
*Should that be "is" or "are"?
I think "are", it would be "is" if it was
What I do not understand is the argument concerning the need for a SUV.
Also just as a tip, it should be "an SUV".

"a" in front of consenents and "an" in front of vowels I know, but it's also "an" in front of consenents that SOUND like vowels.....read it as "concerning the need for an ess-you-vee" and you'll see how an "an" fits it.

It's just another stupid quirk of the english language, but since you asked for the first I figured you might be interested in the second. :)

I figured it would be "is" since it would point to "what I don't understand", seen as a singular package. Oh well.

I knew about the other thing (An SUV), but I though SUV was pronounced as a word rather than ess-you-vee!

horvendile said:
I knew about the other thing (An SUV), but I though SUV was pronounced as a word rather than ess-you-vee!
:LOL:

I don't know why, but I found this funny as hell even though it is an easy mistake to make and one that I'd normally make too. (I read a lot of words I never hear out loud so I tend to have truly hilarious pronunciations at times. :oops: )

I've never heard anyone call 'em "Suvs" before, it's always "ess-you-vees".

Well, thing is, in Sweden SUV is generally pronounced as a word. Though I guess it would be a little awkward to do that in English.

Guden Oden said:
How often do you really need to go 0-100km/h in less than 9 seconds?

I did three times in my commute to work this morning. Also had to go 30-70 in less than 7.

horvendile said:
Well, thing is, in Sweden SUV is generally pronounced as a word. Though I guess it would be a little awkward to do that in English.
It sounds dorky to me. Perhaps that's why so many swedes hate SUVs?

Most of the 'anti-SUV' feeling here in the UK is because many of them are bought to drive on city streets and not off the road (or even out of town) at all. You see no end of mothers on the 'school run' in these hulking vehicles (pronounced vier-culs in the UK, by the way! ;) ), blocking up the roads when a smaller car would be sensible.

And no, I'm not going to start saying unkind things about women drivers! 8)

Mariner said:
Most of the 'anti-SUV' feeling here in the UK is because many of them are bought to drive on city streets and not off the road (or even out of town) at all.
Although I agree, I'm not sure what you're describing in the UK would be large enough to even qualify for "SUV" status in the US. :? :?

horvendile said:
What I do not understand is* arguments concerning the need for a SUV. I hear that a lot here in Sweden. "You don't need a SUV." Well, no. And I don't strictly need broadband either, or a Playstation, or my favorite cognac. But what kind of argument is that? Since when do I have the right to dictate that other people should only buy things they strictly need for their survival? That is a mentality don't approve of.
I think people who argue that are implicitly arguing the other points too. It's pretty obvious that a SUV is big, won't handle well, won't accellerate as well as a car with similar cost, and guzzles gas compared to an equally performing car. Even the safety argument, while requiring just a bit of empathy and insight, is not exactly the theory of relativity.

So the question is, why in god's name would you put up with these drawbacks when buying a SUV? All I can think of is that you need it. If you don't need it, then you're pretty stupid for buying one, because there are SO many better options by almost any measure. At least broadband and gaming consoles give you something that an alternative purchase wouldn't.

Need is very much the issue. AFAICS, it's the only reason to buy one.

Mintmaster said:
I think people who argue that are implicitly arguing the other points too. It's pretty obvious that a SUV is big, won't handle well, won't accellerate as well as a car with similar cost, and guzzles gas compared to an equally performing car. Even the safety argument, while requiring just a bit of empathy and insight, is not exactly the theory of relativity.
But that's just it! My SUV isn't very big, it's smaller than my mini-van (although it does weigh a bit more); it handles like a mofo; it's quick like a bunny; AND it gets me thru 3 foot drifts of snow every year when I need it to.

I can't argue about the gas guzzling as it does, but I knew that getting it and also knew that I don't drive a whole lot so it wouldn't be a major expense. (Yeah, I know...I'm a bad person for killing the planet, sue me. :rolleyes: ;) )

digitalwanderer said:
I don't think we'd get an Altima though, I don't like the lines of their redesign of it...the tail end doesn't work for me. We'd have to get a Maxima. (SE, every bell & whistle too. ;) )
If you like the Maxima, why not throw in a couple extra thousand for the Infiniti G35? Both sedan and coupe are very nice, though I like the look and stance of the coupe a lot (just under 300hp to boot). You should get the same Nissan build quality. I have a 96 Maxima right now, and like it a lot, but I find myself ogling G35's whenever I see one. I'd rather get one of these than a BMW or a Merc (when factoring in price, of course).

Or do you really want to buy from this Nissan dealer?

digitalwanderer said:
But that's just it! My SUV isn't very big, it's smaller than my mini-van (although it does weigh a bit more); it handles like a mofo; it's quick like a bunny; AND it gets me thru 3 foot drifts of snow every year when I need it to.
You have to realize that I'm making a relative argument. You must have very low standards for handling/acceleration. For the same price as that SUV, you could have had a car that handles much better, FAR lower chance of rolling over, accelerates much better, has AWD for the snow, and saves you gas money.

I can't imagine you have the need to get through 3 ft. drifts on an annual basis. I'm from Canada, and I'm quite sure I'll get a lot more snow than you in Indiana. I've never had such a need.

Mintmaster-I do have to do the 3ft drift thing every year damn near guaranteed....the street plow builds it up at the end of my driveway I have to get out of.

I also see what you're saying about handling and I guess driving the Pathfinder & Quest for the past few years has gotten my standards a bit slacker. :oops: (Oh, and my wife and I have put the G35 on the consideration list...it is a Nissan/Infinity/Jaguar dealership.)

digitalwanderer said:
(Oh, and my wife and I have put the G35 on the consideration list...it is a Nissan/Infinity/Jaguar dealership.)
MMMmmm. 300hp of 6spd goodness.

Again, the interior is a little bit cheap (or was for the 2004). The 'aluminum trim' is actually metalized plastic, but it is a real good performer.

Of course, its RWD (though you can get an AWD version I think).

A shame they didn't have a wagon or had seats that folded down in the back.

Mintmaster said:
digitalwanderer said:
I don't think we'd get an Altima though, I don't like the lines of their redesign of it...the tail end doesn't work for me. We'd have to get a Maxima. (SE, every bell & whistle too. ;) )
If you like the Maxima, why not throw in a couple extra thousand for the Infiniti G35? Both sedan and coupe are very nice, though I like the look and stance of the coupe a lot (just under 300hp to boot). You should get the same Nissan build quality. I have a 96 Maxima right now, and like it a lot, but I find myself ogling G35's whenever I see one. I'd rather get one of these than a BMW or a Merc (when factoring in price, of course).

96 Black Maxima Represent. :D

RussSchultz said:
A shame they didn't have a wagon or had seats that folded down in the back.
That's a feature I liked about the little Altima SE-R. Only 260Hp, but it's smaller and lighter too.

I guess I'm just a tad partial to Altimas for sentimental reasons. :oops:

Mintmaster said:
digitalwanderer said:

I just about did this very thing when I was shopping around. I love the G35's, but they are built on the Z plateform which makes them pretty cramped on the inside. Just about there only drawbacks to. The G35 coupe is sweet, not as nice as the Z for me, but close.

Back