New cars?

Unknown Soldier said:
What the maximum speed limit in the USA? Also isn't 55 mph(90kph)(I always see this speed on the boards while watching TV) a bit slow?? What would the speed limit be on a road like Route 66??
Route 66 is a highway and I believe it'd be 55 then. There are areas of highway that go to 65 away from the populated areas around me in Indiana, just about 5 miles south of 30 on 94. :)

So 65mph is technically the max you can go. Most residential stuff is 25, 35 for the more major streets, and 45 for the open stretches of the major streets....as a general rule-o-thumb, with lots of odd exceptions. :)

But traffic on the highway moves at about 60-70mph anyways around me, and as long as you keep it under 75 you're pretty safe from being pulled over.

That's why I do over 80, I still earned me a ticket! 8)

The national speed limit here is 120kph (75mph) but I do wish they'd bump it up to 140khp(87mph).

If you live in germany though . .there's no speed limit on the autobahn.

I usually travel at around 140kph when I travel on the highway, although I do get cars coming passed me doing 160kph(100mph) or more.

Once had a Lamborghini and Porscheme passed me at over 200kph, racing each other, late on night. Then don't even talk about motorbikes.

US

p.s. Nice choice on teh G35 .. she looks real sweet

Are you buying a car for you or your wife ;)
If you get to drive it alot, G35 hands down.. manual, but please do something about the exhaust note.. it's quite horid- muffled.

radeonic2 said:
Are you buying a car for you or your wife ;)
Actually it would be my wife buying a car for herself and trading my mini-van in for it, and I think I'll keep the Pathfinder for myself. :)

Fuck, aside from me loving the Pathfinder so much and all the bloody thing is paid off! That's just too attractive of a feature for me to pass up!

My wife can trade in the mini-van if she wants a new car and I'm cool with that because the monthly car shell-out will stay the same, and I'll get me the Pathfinder which I've been in love with since my first test drive of it. (Did I mention it's a 98 that just cracked 5,000 miles? She's in great shape. 8) )

I woke up to reality sometime yesterday. There just ain't no way I'm trading in the Pathfinder and picking up a second car payment! :?

Didn't you say your PathFinder has 30,000 Miles??

digitalwanderer said:
Not to worry Sage, I ain't falling for any scams. I do know the value on my vehicles, and my vehicles are all ridiculously low-mileage and pampered too. (My 98 Pathfinder just broke 30,000 miles last week....no I am not exagerating. :) )

US

Unknown Soldier said:
Didn't you say your PathFinder has 30,000 Miles??

digitalwanderer said:
Not to worry Sage, I ain't falling for any scams. I do know the value on my vehicles, and my vehicles are all ridiculously low-mileage and pampered too. (My 98 Pathfinder just broke 30,000 miles last week....no I am not exagerating. :) )

US
Dang it, you're right...I got the Quest and Pathfinder confused.

Sorry, my bad. I still want the Pathfinder, I'm a tad tired of the mini-van thing.

There are places in the US that have higher than 65 mph speed limits. It is to some extent dependent on state vs. federal highways.

Out of all of the places I have lived, people from Indiana have the least respect for the speed limit. I used to live in New York and no one dared venture so high above the speed limit as people here do. I routinely get passed by people going 85+ on I65 (65mph speed limit).

I dont exactly adhere perfectly either of course.... (70ish is what I go).

I dont go higher than that especially after a couple of studendts from our school were killed on I65 after they hit a tree. :(

I like the G35. I personally like most japanese cars because of their reliability and their consistency. Infiniti being basically a nissan gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Everyone in my family (including me) has never had any real trouble with toyotas/hondas/mazda/nissan, but they had plenty of problems with Buick, Chevy, etc...

I drive a mazda 626 (1998) which I just bought this year real cheap from a friend. I couldnt be happier considering that the alternative was a 94 tercel.....

I grew up quite litterally a few feet away from route 66, middle-of-nowhere. I remember when they raised the speed limit from 55 to 65. But, it's only a two-lane with no median. Also, it winds around a lot.

Now, if you're talking interstate highways then it's usually 70. In oklahoma there is no "night" speed limit but in Texas the night speed limit is 65. I like to hit the corners at over 80 at night, and near 90 during the day. Cruising I usually hang around 82 if I'm being paranoid about getting a ticket, if I'm not being paranoid then I'll bring it up to just under 90. However, when I get into the city (and when I say "the city" I mean the whole Denton-Dallas-Fort Worth area- the darker area on this map; zoom out to "6", I travel on I-35 from oklahoma all the way to the dot in the middle of dallas) it goes down to 65 and eventually to 60 as I get further in. Those areas I usually see at least 3 cops so I feel it's dangerous to go over about 75 or even 70 in some areas.

Yesterday, though, it was really funny. I was in the middle of Dallas headed south and a cop pulls onto the interstate. Of course, everyone immediately slows down to the speed limit. It's about 5 lanes of solid traffic all going the speed limit, following the cop because noone dares pass him. Of course, about a quarter mile up people are going normal speed and they keep getting further and further so basically you have this vast empty space and then a solid wall of traffic. I was lucky and happened to be in front so I didn't have anyone blocking me in. What do I do? "Cya, losers!" *jams pedal down* and cruises right past the cop at 75mph in a 65 zone. It was really funny to see all of those paranoid people going the speed limit as I just zoom right ahead and the cop does nothing. Of course, if someone else had done it I'm sure they would have gotten pulled over. I'm special, I get to speed right past cops all the time and not worry about it. But, then, that might be because I have a military tag :D

I just got in from a quick run to White Castles for the wife and said to her, "Hey, have you ever gotten the mini-van up on two wheels too cornering quickly?", as I walked in whistling.

She said I ain't never gonna get to driver her Z. :LOL:

Today is the day she yells at me to vaccum out the vehicles, tomorrow we'll take 'em in and see what the what is. I'm sticking with the "trade in the mini-van for a Z" theory, and my wife is going under the "trade them both in and get a Z & new Xterra" idea.

Whichever or neither, it's all good with me. :)

digitalwanderer said:
White Castles is an institution in my part of the country! :oops:

oh well, you guys don't have Taco Cabana so I'm sure that more than makes up for us missing out on White Castle 8)

Taco cabana is a bazillion times better than White castles.

But, then again, any local taqueria is better than Taco Cabana. Well, maybe not in Dallas, but in south central Texas, its definately true.

Of course, in the midwest, mexican food is crap.

RussSchultz said:
any local taqueria is better than Taco Cabana. Well, maybe not in Dallas, but in south central Texas, its definately true.

ahhhh but how many local taqueria's are 2 minutes away from my apartment and have drive-thru's 8)

actually there are a few local places near where I live. on one side of me is the ultra-rich and on the other side is the mostly-poor (there are a few houses with merc's routinely parked outside but they are sprinked into a mostly-ghetto area) and so I don't really want to go into any of the local places on the hispanic side.

Now, if I were in Austin and it were a nice day I wouldnt be anywhere but The Oasis.

Back