Need for Speed Shift 2

Yeah it's different, it's always hard for me to say which game has correct physics because at the end of the day none of them feel like driving a real car anyways.

Safe to say you don't use a wheel. I've driven the real ring and the virtual ring, and all the big games (Forza, GT and PC Sims) are sufficiently close to driving like a real car, imho.

I *think* Autolog lets people across platforms share their times since EA handles it all separetly from the main online services. Anyone want to test that? I'm on pc and my autolog id is Yorgle. I'm curious if 360/ps3 guys can see my autolog times. That would be neat if autolog is not confined to one platform.

Typically this is not the case. EA uses their own usernames on PC even in a Steam context, while on PS3 and 360 they use the usernames of those respective systems. 360 doesn't allow them to work differently, and for PS3 it would probably just be too much work to make that work together. I know this because I tried Need for Speed on PC. ;)

Safe to say you don't use a wheel. I've driven the real ring and the virtual ring, and all the big games (Forza, GT and PC Sims) are sufficiently close to driving like a real car, imho.

I challenge you jumping in a Zonda first time, drive it on the ring 300+ with 2 wheels on the grass without crashing than :LOL: Because thats the kind of stuff you can pull off in gt5. Hell, my friend usually doesn't even bother braking for the first corner, he just uses the other cars to get around. Works like a charm. Gets you to the front faster than staying on track.

Driving the ring with a Zonda in GT5 IS hard. You make it sound like a cakewalk. GT5 by far has the best model for the ring. Maybe you're playing with assists or something, I dunno.

Again, even the best driving sims aren't 100% accurate, but as Arwin said, they're pretty close.

Pretty accurate compared to what? Certainly not real life. That is just a fact. Don't believe me? Go to your local go-kart track, do some laps and now tell me if driving a zonda in GT5 still makes you feel like being in a real car. It doesn't. I'm sure these games can teach you about a track and can help you with finding braking points and available grip that a car might have IRL but it's nowhere near the experience of driving a real car.

If games would really be a fairly accurate representation of real life the majority of race car drivers would be out a of job. But they arnt.

Well, as I said, there are many things that just can't be simulated with the provided hardware, so the feel and experience is much different I'm sure, but the driving model is probably fairly accurate. There are many skills that can be learned from playing a good racing sim. Didn't the winner of the first GT academy do fairly well in a real race?

Pretty accurate compared to what? Certainly not real life. That is just a fact. Don't believe me? Go to your local go-kart track, do some laps and now tell me if driving a zonda in GT5 still makes you feel like being in a real car. It doesn't. I'm sure these games can teach you about a track and can help you with finding braking points and available grip that a car might have IRL but it's nowhere near the experience of driving a real car.

If games would really be a fairly accurate representation of real life the majority of race car drivers would be out a of job. But they arnt.

You're overreacting again. Apart from you not telling me the settings (including wheel assists, pro mode, spin assist, etc.) or whether he was accellerating or 'coasting', then sure, even then there are some differences. We all (should) know that one major difference is that g-forces are incredible. Even driving in a Fiat Punto 1.1 on the Ring there are points where if you go downhill at 120km/h and then back uphill, you get enough G-forces to stop you from breathing for a whole second.

But to then go on and proclaim that racing in these games is nothing like the real thing is a complete and utter exaggeration. Yes, in fact drivers can progress from games to the real thing, as should be obvious by now (GT Academy is just one example), but I also know a lot of high-level computer game racers who are also really good racers in real life, or were until for instance they grew too tall to fit in a high-end kart, or decided a different career path (e.g. I know two who became an engineer).

Even personally, I only got my drivers licence just after my 30th birthday, and from the very first time in the car (Alfa 156 JTD 2.4 :p ) my steering and sense of speed were pretty much flawless, to the point where my driving instructor asked me if I would please use a slightly bigger gap between the curbs and the wheel. And yes, I've been on very many kart tracks as well. And the very first time I went to the Nurburgring, I knew that track by heart thanks to a certain game as well. In fact, me and my dad are planning to go there again sometime this year - this time we'll rent something nice specifically for racing (though not too fast, I don't trust my father in that ;) - maybe one of those FWD Clio Sports or something similar).

And sure, so the difference between the real thing and the game may grow bigger at higher speeds in higher end cars, but there are quite a few different type of cars in GT ...

Well I was just playing Shift 2 and apparently you can't turn if you're doing over 50mph in damn near anything. :???:

I was trying out the G35. My wife has the G37S convertible so I figured it'd be an interesting comparison, but her car can turn at any and all speeds. :(

Safe to say you don't use a wheel.

Not since the 90's on the old nfs games on pc, so just gamepad. I dunno, when I drive my personal car it seems like it can brake fast and not slide all over the place and it's only in the ~400 hp/torque range, it's easily controllable at speed and it's not even a racing car (Magnum SRT8). On all these racing games it seems like braking takes forever and the cars are always skidding and sliding, it never feels right to me, even in expensive sports cars. I haven't raced professionally but I'm in LA so doing 90+ mph isn't exactly a rare thing.

Here you tell me which is the more normal behavior since you've raced on the 'ring (pretty cool by the way). I'll use GT5 and Shift 2 to compare since I can't remember Forza anymore, been too long. One big difference in behavior on the two is how bumps are handled. On GT5 you can go over bumps at low or high speed and barely feel them, like cutting corners really tight or whatever, they are mostly a non issue. Shift 2 is the polar opposite in that regard, you really feel them and can lose control if you go over them too fast. Now that is one real life test I haven't done as I'm not about to start going over sidewalks in my car at 60+ mph, so I have no real life counterpart to compare to. So which of the two is more realistic? I don't know if you've tried Shift 2 but try it over bumps and compare it to GT5, that's the biggest difference I've seen between the two so far regarding driving behavior.

Not since the 90's on the old nfs games on pc, so just gamepad. I dunno, when I drive my personal car it seems like it can brake fast and not slide all over the place and it's only in the ~400 hp/torque range, it's easily controllable at speed and it's not even a racing car (Magnum SRT8). On all these racing games it seems like braking takes forever and the cars are always skidding and sliding, it never feels right to me, even in expensive sports cars. I haven't raced professionally but I'm in LA so doing 90+ mph isn't exactly a rare thing.

Braking can be very easily measured objectively though, and I've yet to see figures that prove the braking distance is completely wrong in GT5. Also, braking in a straight line is generally easily controllable, but weight distribution matters here, and I did hear that many cars have been set up a bit too aggressively in GT5 (there are advantages to this for certain racing conditions). I can look up some comments on that if you're interested - I think that's the problem you may be experiencing. Cars skidding and sliding, or a similar feel, typically has a number of causes when under braking:

a) abs is completely off. Now braking too much blocks the wheels, and you'll slide a lot. Some sims do this too much (Forza 3 waas a little weak in this area, but Forza 2 was much worse) and regaining grip is often not as well modelled (is also one of the more difficult things to model), but GT5 handles this pretty well I think. No abs is pretty rare these days in normal cars. I had an Alfa 155 1.8i as my first car, and that didn't have it, but even then I only ever had it block the wheels and slide under wet circumstances (but one of those times was at very low speeds, and I still wrecked the car partly as a result of that)

b) asm is on. You're braking in the corner, the car loses grip, the asm cuts in, and sometimes this feels 'weird' (you're no longer in control)

c) as mentioned, lousy / too aggressive brake balance. Again, I've heard some people complain about this in GT for many cars. I haven't had much issue with it personally, but probably just because of my driving style.

Here you tell me which is the more normal behavior since you've raced on the 'ring (pretty cool by the way). I'll use GT5 and Shift 2 to compare since I can't remember Forza anymore, been too long. One big difference in behavior on the two is how bumps are handled. On GT5 you can go over bumps at low or high speed and barely feel them, like cutting corners really tight or whatever, they are mostly a non issue. Shift 2 is the polar opposite in that regard, you really feel them and can lose control if you go over them too fast. Now that is one real life test I haven't done as I'm not about to start going over sidewalks in my car at 60+ mph, so I have no real life counterpart to compare to. So which of the two is more realistic? I don't know if you've tried Shift 2 but try it over bumps and compare it to GT5, that's the biggest difference I've seen between the two so far regarding driving behavior.

It is all a matter of settings again, although I can't vouch for Shift 2 because I haven't driven them. The spring has bound and rebound settings, and depending on how you set them up bumps all but disappear, or are actually magnified. The height of your car is also important - if you actually crash into the bump with the bottom of your car that has pretty big consequences.

Although I haven't played it, I do know Shift 2 has extensive setup options, and also allows you to save and load different setups (something which GT5 currently lacks, when older GTs did have this option), so that's what I would look at first. The kind of setup that cars come with when you first drive them can be very different across games, partly because it is as much a preference thing as anything else. I've seen people drive similar times both in reality and in games with vastly different setups.

From what digi says, I'm guessing that Shift 2 has made similar mistakes as Forza 2 in its modelling of grip while turning.

don't know nor care about all of this "realism" in Video game racing but I do know that Shift 2 is exhilarating and FUN to play. :LOL::cool:

oh and helmet cam is growing on me and really adds to the feel of being in a race.

but not driving because I would need a real car on a real road for that ;)

Braking can be very easily measured objectively though, and I've yet to see figures that prove the braking distance is completely wrong in GT5. Also, braking in a straight line is generally easily controllable, but weight distribution matters here, and I did hear that many cars have been set up a bit too aggressively in GT5 (there are advantages to this for certain racing conditions). I can look up some comments on that if you're interested - I think that's the problem you may be experiencing. Cars skidding and sliding, or a similar feel, typically has a number of causes when under braking:

a) abs is completely off. Now braking too much blocks the wheels, and you'll slide a lot. Some sims do this too much (Forza 3 waas a little weak in this area, but Forza 2 was much worse) and regaining grip is often not as well modelled (is also one of the more difficult things to model), but GT5 handles this pretty well I think. No abs is pretty rare these days in normal cars. I had an Alfa 155 1.8i as my first car, and that didn't have it, but even then I only ever had it block the wheels and slide under wet circumstances (but one of those times was at very low speeds, and I still wrecked the car partly as a result of that)

b) asm is on. You're braking in the corner, the car loses grip, the asm cuts in, and sometimes this feels 'weird' (you're no longer in control)

c) as mentioned, lousy / too aggressive brake balance. Again, I've heard some people complain about this in GT for many cars. I haven't had much issue with it personally, but probably just because of my driving style.

Do games play with settings of stock cars? Like if I buy a stock 2011 Camaro SS in a game, you're saying it might already be tuned for racing? Maybe that explains part of it, but I would have expected a stock vehicle to be tuned as stock should be, otherwise why bother upgrading that vehicle.

Settings wise the safety's are on in my difficultly level, so I have stuff like abs and stability control. Here's where I just can't understand the realism part. Ok I'm driving to Vegas in my own car for real crusing at 110mph. I don't have a sports car, yet I can just put my pinky finger on the steering to control the car because it's totally stable. No drama, no muss, no fuss. Now look at the "driving simulator" games, all of them really. Driving at 110mph in real life is snooze worthy but doing that in these games feels like you are doing 300mph on gravel. You constantly have to control, correct, etc. The car is bobbling, moving around a bit, it's such a chore to keep it stable compared to real life. That's why I don't get what people are looking for when it comes to driving realism in games, because to me none of them feel right at all. Maybe they are making the driving more dramatic to keep it interesting, I dunno, but it doesn't feel real.

It is all a matter of settings again, although I can't vouch for Shift 2 because I haven't driven them. The spring has bound and rebound settings, and depending on how you set them up bumps all but disappear, or are actually magnified. The height of your car is also important - if you actually crash into the bump with the bottom of your car that has pretty big consequences.

Although I haven't played it, I do know Shift 2 has extensive setup options, and also allows you to save and load different setups (something which GT5 currently lacks, when older GTs did have this option), so that's what I would look at first. The kind of setup that cars come with when you first drive them can be very different across games, partly because it is as much a preference thing as anything else. I've seen people drive similar times both in reality and in games with vastly different setups.

From what digi says, I'm guessing that Shift 2 has made similar mistakes as Forza 2 in its modelling of grip while turning.

Well so far Shift 2's cars are feeling too bouncy for me, I wonder if they did that to make their helmet cam be more dramatic. Their helmet cam is very cool incidently. It's also possible I'm too used to GT5's driving model hence why Shift 2's feels a bit alien right now. They still all feel wrong to me though. Another real world example, I slam on the breaks at say 70mph or so and do a swerve in two directions, left then right. Nothing major in a modern car thanks to abs and stability control, I serve one way, serve back and I'm back in business. Try that in any of these games and you will likely spin out. I don't get why my wagon can do it in real life, but these sports cars in the game, with abs/stability on, somehow can't.

Well, as I said, there are many things that just can't be simulated with the provided hardware, so the feel and experience is much different I'm sure, but the driving model is probably fairly accurate. There are many skills that can be learned from playing a good racing sim. Didn't the winner of the first GT academy do fairly well in a real race?

The only major skill would be driving line and momentum driving and of course reflexes.

there is some benefit to tuning downforce and adjusting suspension from SOFT (default) to more firm.

keeps the cars form feeling less floaty.

Do games play with settings of stock cars? Like if I buy a stock 2011 Camaro SS in a game, you're saying it might already be tuned for racing? Maybe that explains part of it, but I would have expected a stock vehicle to be tuned as stock should be, otherwise why bother upgrading that vehicle.

Yeah, many games will have it tuned for racing already, assuming that a majority of people playing don't tune their cars.

Settings wise the safety's are on in my difficultly level, so I have stuff like abs and stability control. Here's where I just can't understand the realism part. Ok I'm driving to Vegas in my own car for real crusing at 110mph. I don't have a sports car, yet I can just put my pinky finger on the steering to control the car because it's totally stable. No drama, no muss, no fuss. Now look at the "driving simulator" games, all of them really.

I'm going to stop you here and invite you to go back and test them back to back with the same or similar cars. You'll find that if you do pay close attention to your racing conditions, they're not all the same because ...

Driving at 110mph in real life is snooze worthy but doing that in these games feels like you are doing 300mph on gravel.

... it all depends on the driving conditions (uphill, downhill, degree of turn, slope). Definitely some games are broken (Forza 2 has a few spots in races that just don't make sense, and GT3's old Simulation Tires weren't quite realistic there either, just difficult. It was hilarious to see the AI spin out on them).

Well so far Shift 2's cars are feeling too bouncy for me, I wonder if they did that to make their helmet cam be more dramatic. Their helmet cam is very cool incidently. It's also possible I'm too used to GT5's driving model hence why Shift 2's feels a bit alien right now. They still all feel wrong to me though. Another real world example, I slam on the breaks at say 70mph or so and do a swerve in two directions, left then right. Nothing major in a modern car thanks to abs and stability control, I serve one way, serve back and I'm back in business. Try that in any of these games and you will likely spin out. I don't get why my wagon can do it in real life, but these sports cars in the game, with abs/stability on, somehow can't.

Again, go back and actually test, and mind your settings. The biggest difference that does exist between real life and games, are G-forces. These make it seem as if you are doing really big swerves in a real car even though you're barely moving, just enough to make the balance of the car shift from left to right and back probably. ;) When you're driving GT5 with a wheel, you can really feel that weight balance in the force on the wheel (which is not necessarily realistic - force feedback in GT is simply used a lot to give you feedback on what the car does that you'd otherwise mostly feel in terms of G-forces, and that's very useful - in a chicane, if you turn left then right, you can do so more effectively if you can actually feel that the car has come back up from leaning to one side before you move the balance to the other by turning again). GT and Forza too I think also have a real-time indicator of the G-forces, giving you an indication that perhaps you're doing more exaggerated moves than you're thinking partly due to lack of G-force feedback.

A GT loving friend of mine tried to return Shift 2 to the store by the way, hating the driving model which according to him gives you an impression that you're being driven rather than driving yourself. But he couldn't take it back because he had the SE and that came with a code, and the store doesn't take it back, or he would have changed it for Motorstorm. Upside is that I'll probably get more detailed impressions sometime soon. ;)

The only major skill would be driving line and momentum driving and of course reflexes.

Actually basically the only skill you don't get from games is learning to physically handle the G-forces. Everything else is pretty much in there, from overtaking to optimal rpm and gear management to overtaking strategies, conserving your tires and fuel and what not (though not all games have proper race flag simulations)

Well I was just playing Shift 2 and apparently you can't turn if you're doing over 50mph in damn near anything. :???:

I was trying out the G35. My wife has the G37S convertible so I figured it'd be an interesting comparison, but her car can turn at any and all speeds. :(

Why don't you just admit that she is a better driver than you Digi? ;)

Do we have a final verdict on this? Naturally I'm a GT nut so are there any similarities? More arcadey? Enjoyable?

Do we have a final verdict on this? Naturally I'm a GT nut so are there any similarities? More arcadey? Enjoyable?

I've played both GT5 and Shift 2 a fair bit. I can't comment on graphics as I'm playing Shift 2 on pc so it's really not a fair fight. Enjoyable? Definitely, the game is good fun so far although my gut it telling me that it will have the same problem as the previous Shift game where it just won't have enough lasting power. There is just more meat to GT5 to where you can play it for longer is what I'm feeling, but I'm still having good fun with it. Arcadey is hard for me to say, it's part of my posts above where I don't know what criteria people use to determine if a game has a realistic driving model. Like my bumps example above, bumps are far more noticeable on Shift 2 and can make you lose control whereas in GT5 they are far less noticeable and are less likely to make you lsoe control. As to which one is considered 'arcadey' and which one 'realistic' I have no idea as neither feels right to me. I will say that I'm finding driving to be somewhat harder in Shift 2 compared to GT5, it definitely is taking me more effort to keep the car on the road. I can't imagine someone viewing Shift 2 as arcadey though as it's far removed from games like Blur.

I've played both GT5 and Shift 2 a fair bit. I can't comment on graphics as I'm playing Shift 2 on pc so it's really not a fair fight. Enjoyable? Definitely, the game is good fun so far although my gut it telling me that it will have the same problem as the previous Shift game where it just won't have enough lasting power. There is just more meat to GT5 to where you can play it for longer is what I'm feeling, but I'm still having good fun with it. Arcadey is hard for me to say, it's part of my posts above where I don't know what criteria people use to determine if a game has a realistic driving model. Like my bumps example above, bumps are far more noticeable on Shift 2 and can make you lose control whereas in GT5 they are far less noticeable and are less likely to make you lsoe control. As to which one is considered 'arcadey' and which one 'realistic' I have no idea as neither feels right to me. I will say that I'm finding driving to be somewhat harder in Shift 2 compared to GT5, it definitely is taking me more effort to keep the car on the road. I can't imagine someone viewing Shift 2 as arcadey though as it's far removed from games like Blur.

Smart. Thanks mate, i might have a cheeky punt then.

Back