Need for Speed Shift 2

Looks and sounds freaking awesome. I wonder if it really is simulation and optimized for wheel or if it's going to be arcade for masses. This game has some serious potential to revive racing games. The part where there is circles on the screen+talk about car weight looks way much like on/off pad controlling. On other parts it looks smooth and realistic.

edit. Is this finally the sequel porsche challenge deserves? I certainly hope so :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It will probably be an inbetweener/hybrid being a little bit more of an arcade racer than sim, just like the first. IMHO, the only true sim racers on console, are Forza and GT.
of course I'm just speculating based on the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will probably be an inbetweener/hybrid being a little bit more of an arcade racer than sim, just like the first. IMHO, the only true sim racers on console, are Forza and GT.
of course I'm just speculating based on the first.

possibly, but the developer interviews have shown them tweaking the handling model from S1 substantially to allow a range of driving options from arcade to very realistic.

I'm just amazed no one did a helmet cam like that until now. I think it would provide a much more visceral racing experience.

Kinda strange that there is no review for this yet, isn't it coming out any day now? Been wanting a new racing game for a while now so eagerly waiting on Shift 2's reviews.

Locked save means no purchase for me. I really enjoyed the first one up until I lost my save file when my slim died. Also sucks bigtime when you can't bring your save file over from the PS3 in the front room to the one in the bedroom.

Cheers

Kinda strange that there is no review for this yet, isn't it coming out any day now? Been wanting a new racing game for a while now so eagerly waiting on Shift 2's reviews.

n4g has so many reviews listed for it.

I didn't know the game was coming out so soon. I thought it would come around christmas !

Locked save means no purchase for me. I really enjoyed the first one up until I lost my save file when my slim died. Also sucks bigtime when you can't bring your save file over from the PS3 in the front room to the one in the bedroom.

Cheers

Unless you have Playstation Plus of course ... ;)

Even then, they shouldn't lock the save.

Very skeptical about this game - didn't like the first one. The only redeeming quality so far is auto-log, imho. ;)

Unless you have Playstation Plus of course ... ;)

...or 360/Pc for multi system people, just go with either of those versions if locked saves are an issue.

Very skeptical about this game - didn't like the first one. The only redeeming quality so far is auto-log, imho. ;)

I actually liked the 1st one but it didn't have enough meat on the bone to keep me hooked for long. But I need a new racer dammit! I was done with Forza ages ago, and just about done with GT so the timing for Shift 2 is good for me. Reviews seem ok, mostly handling issues but handling is a really subjective thing I guess so who knows. Hopefully there's a demo although I'll prolly be buying it anyways.

Comments about shift2 from gtplanet

If you’re expecting the game to “feel” like GT5 or your favorite PC sim of choice then, yes, you will be disappointed. If you’re looking for a fun, immersive racing game you can pick up and start playing, you’re in for a treat.

Despite a physics engine which will leave sim-racers wanting more (ok, a lot more), this is a fun, exciting, and intense driving game.

More stuff here:
http://www.gtplanet.net/gtplanet-at-shift-2-media-event-hands-on-impressions/

Ok sounds like it may be more of a complimentary game to GT5 rather than a replacement. Cool, I'll hold onto GT5 for now and grab this as well, it just popped up on steam. If any of you guys play this on steam let me know so I can add you to my friends list there, maybe it will let us compare autolog stats.

It's difficult to get realistic physics right in a racing game. Either SMS can't quite get it, or their intentions were to make it a hybrid sim/arcade racer just like the first. I don't think the Shift series will ever replace GT5 or Forza.

Not to say it's a bad game, just a different game.

Yeah it's different, it's always hard for me to say which game has correct physics because at the end of the day none of them feel like driving a real car anyways.

I *think* Autolog lets people across platforms share their times since EA handles it all separetly from the main online services. Anyone want to test that? I'm on pc and my autolog id is Yorgle. I'm curious if 360/ps3 guys can see my autolog times. That would be neat if autolog is not confined to one platform.

I'm sure even the best sim racers aren't completely accurate (some things just can't be simulated with the provided hardware) but racing is also a lot different than driving.

It's too bad that their physics is not upto par to sims racing, their track list is way better than GT5 that's for sure. Is there a demo ? Might try it out, but NFS never click with me.

Back